It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:30 am

Free Newsletter

The new me

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

The new me

Postby GoGoGo » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:31 pm

Hi all i'm 25 male and have finally decided to lose weight and get fit..

i started 3 weeks ago and was 107 kg i also gave up smoking at this time which has been good. I'll give you a run down on what i've been doing and eating as i'd like some feedback on if you think this is a good excersie/eating plan. I rekon i've lost about 4kg already.

Breakfast - A bowl of all bran cereal.

Morning tea - container of mixed - salad,carrot,capsicun.celery,1 bolied egg,little bits of cooked chicken on the bbq,low fat dressing.

Lunch pretty much the same as above plus a few grapes or low fat yogurt.

Afternoon tea - bannana

Tea - vegetables which could include corn,potato,brocolli,carrots etc and a piece of chicken or steak something like that.

Dessert ocasionally some rockmelon with low fat ice cream.

Excersise -

3 times a week i now train for a hour in a fitness group which includes running skipping etc etc and it is very full on and hard work. The other 4 days in the week i go for a 25-30 minute work during lunch hour and the same at night.

What are people's thoughts on this and should i perhaps change anything like maybe east differently etc?

Thanks
GoGoGo

Re: The new me

Postby GoGoGo » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:34 pm

Also i forgot to add -

Am i getting enough carbs protein iron etc all of that stuff in the meals i have said above?
GoGoGo

Postby star » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:58 am

Hey gogogo,
I'm not a nutritionist but I reckon your plan looks pretty good. Just make sure you have some variety or you'll go nuts and it could lead to a binge one day. I think your balance is pretty good. You do get carbs from vegies, and banana, and I think the boiled egg in the morning for protein.
I am signing up to weight watchers today, as I am not good at doing the weight loss thing all on my own. You sound like you're going great guns though, so I wish you all the best. :D
star

Postby Alexandra » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:07 am

Hi! I think you're off to a fantastic start! What you're doing sounds great and if you didn't change a thing I think you'd have great success with weight loss and health. Congratulations on making great leaps to better health - and giving up smoking - that's the greatest of them all, I think - great job :D .

I'm certainly no expert, but a few tips I thought of along the way as I was reading through your post was to ensure you get complete nutrition eg, adding in some legumes and wholegrains (like beans, nuts, crackers, brown rice etc). You want to make sure you are getting enough fibre for nutrition and health. From what you have written, I think you are eating adequate protein (generally, aussies do, I think!). The great carbs debate is much bigger than I! I don't have an answer on that one. I am a carbs addict and hence do try to limit them and try to eat more of the whole grains instead (eg brown rice). But some are necessary in the diet, I think. A nutritionist will have all the info on this stuff though!

Make sure you're drinking loads of water, especially when you're working out too!

Another thought I had was to add some resistance / weight training to your workout. A big disclaimer here - I'm the furthest thing here from an expert in that department, but I understand that resistance training aids in metabolism and builds muscle which all works towards weight loss so you may want to check that out too (from an expert :D

But overall, you've made great changes that will without any changes work wonders to improve your health and general well being and that's awesome! Well done! Keep it up and I look forward to hearing of your success as you go along. Best wishes, Alexandra
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w4nfAl9/]

HW: 127 kg
CW: 93.7 kg
GW: 68 kg
LW: 73 kg
Alexandra

Postby Fireball » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:03 pm

GoGoGo, good on you for making some positive changes in your life. It looks like you've put a lot of thought into what you are doing and are committed. Sounds good to me. If you look around the forum you will find loads of ideas and also get support if you need it. Good Luck

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Postby Czarina » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:19 pm

It looks to me that you are not eating anywhere near enough. Check out http://www.calorieking.com.au, you can make up a profile with your height, weight, etc, and it will tell you how much you need to eat to lose a healthy .5kg - 1kg a week. It can also teach you about nutrition and the optimum percentages of carbs, protein, fat, etc, that you need. Good luck. :D
Czarina

Postby GoGoGo » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:48 pm

Great thanks for all the replys.

Czarina - Why do you think i'm not eating enough is this a problem?

Also the other day i decided to weigh myself in the morning then i thought i'd do the same at night (I don't normally do this i try to just weigh myself weekly) and i had put on 0.7kg and im shocked and don't know why. Can anyone helpo me as to why this may of occured?
GoGoGo

Postby Shalimar » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:51 pm

If you weighed in in the morning and then again at night you would have weighed heavier at night because you have eaten during the day.

SW: 175.0 kgs.
CW: 62 kgs-Hit goal 12 September 2009.
Shalimar

Postby GoGoGo » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:37 pm

Yes but surely i can't put on 0.7kg a day???? i did do excersise during the day aswell??
GoGoGo

Postby Shalimar » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:48 am

I can weigh 1-1.2 kilos heavier at night than I do in the morning but by the next morning I have come down again. It would also depend on how long after you have eaten that you weighed as well.

SW: 175.0 kgs.
CW: 62 kgs-Hit goal 12 September 2009.
Shalimar

Postby Czarina » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:19 am

It wasn't fat you saw on the scales, you can't put on almost a kilo of fat in a matter of hours. It would have been fluid, and as Shalimar suggested, food that you had consumed during the day. Don't worry about it!

The reason I don't think you are eating enough is your age, your weight, the fact that you are male (males need to eat more than females, due to muscle mass, etc...) and your activity level. It made sound strange, but you do need to eat a fair amount of food to lose weight, I didn't believe it at first either, but it's true! If you don't eat enough, your body will go into starvation mode and hold onto the fat, instead of getting rid of it. Your body needs a certain amount of calories just to function and then you need to take into consideration the amount of exercise you do and what your job requires of you. After that you only need to eat about 500 less than that maintenace level to lose .5kg - 1kg a week.

I would seriously advise that you check out the Calorie King website, it is free and has loads of valuable information regarding food and nutrition. If you get a profile going for yourself, not only will it tell the amount of calories you should be eating, it will create a meal plan for you, if you wish. :D

So many people on this forum love Calorie King, and I know I couldn't have lost the weight I have in a healthy way without it.
Czarina

Postby GoGoGo » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:22 pm

Thanks

I'm on calorie king but how can you make it make a meal plan for you? All i can see is you have to add everything in?
GoGoGo

Postby Czarina » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:39 am

I think you can get it to make a meal plan for you when you take your profile. Go to "Account Settings" and retake your profile. Hopefully that works! :D
Czarina

Postby GoGoGo » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:55 pm

I've added a little more food to my day over past days like a subway for lunch etc but i still find that after doing a,ot of excersise this week i've gone up 0.1kg :shock:
GoGoGo

Postby Czarina » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:46 pm

That is nothing! If you've been eating Subway and/or other takeaway or packaged food, it's most likely sodium you are seeing, and that will be gone in a couple of days. Don't stress too much!
Czarina

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk