It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:45 am

Free Newsletter

vein-y issue

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

vein-y issue

Postby weightyissue » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:51 am

Hi all,

I have a vein-y issue (lol). I've been losing weight over the past two years (so far 35 kilos - yay!) but over the past few weeks I have noticed my arms and hands becoming smaller, which is great, of course; I like the idea of small arms. But what I have noticed is that the veins on my arms are much more prominant.. Actually, it's not so much my arms, but my hands. There are very noticeable blue veins there, and if I clench my hand into a fist and move my hand, you can even sort of see them sticking out a little (does that make sense?) I don't mean, sticking out like big muscle-men on steroids, but you can notice it ever so slightly.

I'm just wondering if this is a normal thing when you lose so much weight? It doesn't particularly bother me, I quite like the idea that my hands are thinner now that you can see veins (where-as before, you couldn't even see my knuckles lol), but I still have a lot more weight to lose (at least another 30) and I don't really want any more veins visible on my hands, haha.. But would prefer to know if thats what I should expect as I lose more... I don't think it is varicose veins.. Well, I hope not seeing as I'm LOSING weight.. and I'm only 19 lol, so that would be a bit of a downer if it were that, I don't believe it is though.

It's a bit of a silly post, really. But it's just interested me, and I wasn't sure where else to look or ask.

GoodLuck to everyone on their weight-loss journey :)

Any replies are appreciated!

Thanks!
weightyissue

Re: vein-y issue

Postby mumnbub » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:25 am

There is no such thing as a silly post- losing weight can bring up a few issues that you were not expecting so its natural to want to know if its normal. Some poeple do have bigger veins that are more noticable, its just now that you have lost weight you can see them, I doubt its because they have gotten bigger- I am no proffessional or anything but if they are not painful I dont think its an issue. But to be on the safe side maybe just mention it to your doctor next time your there.
Start weight: 98kg April 2008
22/12/08- 80.7kg
29/12/08- 81.8kg
04/01/09- 81.6kg
12/01/09- 81kg
19/01/09- 80kg
09/02/09- 79.3kg
Next goal 75kg

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waXaD9j/]
[/url]
mumnbub

Postby Etch » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:47 pm

Same thing happened to me, and to some of me mates who have lost alot of weight as well. Who knows, maybe its a guy thing. (Sorry dont know if you M/F )
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wsmzwGz/]
[/url]

For want of a nail, the horse was not shoed.
For want of a horse, the message was not delivered.
Because the message was not delivered, the war was lost.
Etch

Postby Czarina » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:19 pm

Do you have very pale skin? That would definitely contribute to their prominent appearance.
Czarina

Postby SarahC » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:18 pm

I've got teeny little hands, and veins definitely starting to pop out. I think it's due to old age, not gaining/losing weight :wink:
SarahC

Postby weightyissue » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:27 pm

Thanks for the replies and not making me feel like an idiot for my question lol.

mumnbub - no, they are definitely not painful, just much more noticeable.. even on my fingers lol.. I might mention it next time I see my doctor, just to make sure it's normal lol. Thank you for your reply :)

Etch - I'm female, lol. so it mustn't just be a guy thing ;)

Czarina - Yes, I am farely pale-skinned, so that is probably why it is more noticeable as well :)

SarahC - lol, well considering I am only 19, I'm not sure if it's old age for me :lol:

Thanks everyone. I should really see it as a good thing, as it means I'm losing weight and thinner :D haha. But might mention it to the doc next time, just to make sure its fine :)
weightyissue

Return to Weight loss Talk