It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:28 am

Free Newsletter

Your reason for losing weight?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Your reason for losing weight?

Postby Rams75 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:30 pm

I started to lose weight because I had to. My doctor gave me the hard word and so in many ways I had little choice.

I dont seem to have had the difficulty I see some of the other forumites having. This isnt because I am better or stronger but because I got told If i didnt lose weight I had a 40% chance of having a heart attack or a stroke in the next ten years. In a way this has made the whole process quite simple for me. Dya want the burger or dya wanna live longer and healthier?

To be honest I was quite happy being a fat bloke. When I was younger I did a lot of bodybuilding but I was always more interested in the strength and performance side of things and curiously enuf was never vain about my appearance. I have always been more interested in what a person really is than what they look like and so when I became fat it truly never bothered me. Thats probably why I married a woman that resembles a bulldog chewing a wasp.

Anhyhoo - I loved the fat unhealthy lifestyle - beer beer beer chips pies beer pizza beer sandwich beer - but ultimately got told I couldnt have it. Or rather I could but probably not for much longer.

So enuf of me..........

What is ur main reason for losing weight and how difficult do u find it?
Rams75

Re: Your reason for losing weight?

Postby John » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:34 pm

I have many reasons why I want to lose weight. However, the biggest one probably is my illness. I have been unwell for about 16 years, and have problems with lack of energy, poor sleep, depression, and weight gain. I can do little or nothing about the other symptoms but I can do something about weight gain. That would be the biggest reason.

Second biggest is that when I was slim, I enjoyed being slim. I want to look in the mirror and see the old me.

Finally, I want to feel attractive. Although I am in a good relationship I still don't really feel attractive. I want to feel that way again.
Heaviest weight: 94kg
Goal weight 66kg
John

Postby John » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:36 pm

Sorry, you asked how easy losing weight is. For one day: very easy. For the 300 days that I need to keep at it, very hard.
Goal weight 66kg
John

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:22 pm

My main reason is that I want to look good. I saw pictures several years ago of me from my sister's wedding and I cried. I had no idea I'd gained so much weight. I've lost ten kilos and I'm close to my healthy weight range now, so I'm much happier with how I look.

I also need to lose weight for my health. When I was overweight I developed plantar fasciitis, which is a condition where microtears form in the connective tissue running under the foot. They have never totally healed for me so I've had the condition for nearly three years. The problem is that the best treatement for PF is to lose weight... but when your feet hurt so much it's hard to do the exercise necessary to lose the weight! So my weight loss has been incredibly slow over the last couple of years. I don't mind though. I know I'm in it for the long haul. My new healthier diet has to be for the rest of my life or I'll just gain the weight back. In that regard it's been both easy and hard. Hard because it's difficult to let go of the 'fun' things that made me gain weight: potato chips, sitting on the couch, eating too much. Easy because once you reprogram yourself to enjoy a healthy lifestyle you actually find new things 'fun', such as apples, salads and exercise. Being thin again is the biggest fun of all, though, and more than compensates for anything I've lost by abandonning a fat lifestyle!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Gordz » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:50 pm

I'm losing weight because I'm sick of looking like crap. It makes me sweat too much, Shopping for clothes is harder and really... who likes manboobs. Nuffs anuff, I've been in shape before, I didn't respect it or notice myself getting bigger, but I know i can do it again so here I go!
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Start date: 12/8/2013
Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby Etch » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:50 pm

Ever since i can remember my parents have wanted me to join the millitary. Its kind of a family thing, and its all i've ever wanted to do.

My Great Great Great Grand dad fought i the USA civil war

My Great grand dad fought in WW1/WW2 and then instructed at Paris Island ( USA marine corp. Basic training ) until he passed away

My grand dad fought in WW2/Korea/vietnam and also instructed at paris island

My dad flew helicopters in Korea/vietnam

My uncles all fought in Afghanistan/Kuwait/Iraq

When i was 17 i was in no shape to join and carry on the family line in the millitary. It's only been in the past few months that i was able to get down to the size where the millitary will accept me. FYI- Im off to kapooka in the next few months. WOOT!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wsmzwGz/]
[/url]

For want of a nail, the horse was not shoed.
For want of a horse, the message was not delivered.
Because the message was not delivered, the war was lost.
Etch

Postby John » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:53 pm

I want to wear the jeans that my first love bought me over 20 years ago. Unfortunately, she's still not around but I've never thrown the jeans away.
Goal weight 66kg
John

Postby Rams75 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:06 am

PF is a nightmare EWQ.

I know its one of the more common runners injuries - i know one or two that have had to quit because of it.

Very interesting stuff guys.

Thank you.
Rams75

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:09 am

Rams75 wrote:PF is a nightmare EWQ.

I know its one of the more common runners injuries - i know one or two that have had to quit because of it.

Yeah, I'd heard that overweight women and runners are the two groups most likely to get PF. The real kicker? My favourite exercise when I started my weight loss journey was running. And it's probably the thing that ensured my PF never got better.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby yoyogirl88 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:05 pm

I wanted to lose weight at first to be able to wear nice clothes and look good in them. I want to look good and be healthy again. I hate groaning when i move (although that is a given atm while I am NOT losing weight but will eventually be gaining it).

After the babies come, my reason for losing weight will be for medical reasons. I have Benign Intracranial Hypertension or BIH. There is also another name for it, but thats what my doc calls it. It can be treated with surgery and medication, but the BEST treatment is for me to lose weight and stay small. The condition increases the fluid in my brain and in turn puts too much pressure in there. Luckily for me being pregnant is actually not making it worse. My doc is in complete shock!! It affects my eyes and that is how we are keeping it under observation. If the pressure raises before I have the bubs I have to have a lumbar puncture or a natural birth will give me MUCH pain via headaches! I can't take the medication while I am pregnant!
20 month old twins and a breastfed bubba. Busy mama!
Starting this time at 99.5
Current weight 97.9
yoyogirl88

Postby satsumi » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:39 pm

honestly, there are so many sports i want to try, and i've only ever done one sport properly in my life. i need to lose the weight and get fit for myself. and for my life. there are so many things i want to do, and by being a couch potato i cant do any of them.

i also have a knee condition that has only gotten worse and worse with my weight getting higher. being unwell and hospitalised has done nothing for my weight or my strength. i need to lose weight and strengthen my muscles for my knees. believe me, wheelchairs are no fun and i dont want to end up in one again.
bmi - 26.2.

goal bmi - 20.
satsumi

Postby fiona_apple » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:01 am

I want to lose weight because I feel so bad when I look at the mirror. Big belly, big thighs, round face...My body is heavy and ugly. It affects my mood.
One more reason: my boyfriend has a perfect shape, flat belly, lots of muscles, perfect legs thanks to jogging and martial art. I lost all of my confidence since i gained so much weight.
I started my diet several times in the last 2 months, but gave up after no more than 2 days. Cannot resist food and sweet. Feel angry at myself now.
:( :( :( :(
Sorry for writing negative things, but thats what I am thinking now.
fiona_apple

Postby Gordz » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:47 pm

thats why we're hear fiona... chin up, we're all in this together
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Start date: 12/8/2013
Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby Carley » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:00 pm

My reasons is for me, to be healthy, to have nothing holding me back. For my daughters, I have a nearly 4yr old and 9 week old baby. I need to set an example for them, to healthy for them. I do not want to be a Mum who sits back and can not play with their children.
Goal for 2016:
Current weight: 94 kilos
Starting weight: 102.5 kilos
Goal #1: 92 kilos
Carley

Postby Bek » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:00 am

I want my self esteem back.
I was always a heavy child and as children are children, was teased incessently throughout my childhood and teenage years about being fat and I was never very popular. so in my adult life I now have a complex about my figure and struggle to make freiends through fear of rejection....... I have the age old visage that you need to be beautiful to 'be one of them'. Despite the fact that I have a wonderful, spunky husband who has seen me go from one extreme to the next with my weight (size 10 - 18) then back down again, who obviously loves me for my soul and not the vessel, I was at my best at our wedding on Oct 07, I was a snug size 8 and looked healthy in a kini and shocked the hell out of the old school kids I saw - See me? I too can be beautiful!! they couldn't belive how slim I was. I was confident and felt that there was nothing anyone could fault me on except my personality.

After quitting smoking not long after the honeymoon, the weight has slowly crept up on me - a total of about 8kilo's which has solidified around my thighs and lower belly - so I now have saddlebags and a pot gut, i look terrible, I wont go to the beach and I worry what people will think.

I'm at the top end of my healthy weght range but I want my self esteem and flat tummy back.
Bek - Woman on a Mission!!
Bek

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk