It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:23 am

Free Newsletter

Cant budge stubborn 2 kg!

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Cant budge stubborn 2 kg!

Postby roosterswife » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:03 pm

Hi there, Im new to this forum and was going to post a question on a parenting forum that I frequent but I thought - hang on, if theres a parenting fourm there must be a weight loss forum and they would be the better ones to ask. So here I am!

I wish to only loose a few kgs, pretty much what I put on over xmas and holidays. I was 5kg lighter about 6 months ago but that was after dieting heavily for 2/3 months. I think the weight I got down to was unrealistic for my body and I did not feel too bad when one or two kgs crept back on. However, two or three more have now crept back on and these two or three seem to have gone straight to my tummy and thighs and butt.

Im 35 and have 2 children under 4 so I do not have a lot of freedom to be able to go off for a run or brisk bike ride etc whenever I feel like it. I have however, bought and borrowed some exercise dvds and husband bought me some hand weights for xmas and I have done at least one every day for the last month. Each dvd is probably 30 minutes of intense exercising. I do mostly pilates and weight training but I try to throw a cardio one in every third or fourth time but I dont really like the cardio ones that much.

I have been watching what I eat and have checked my fat/calorie intake suggestion for me to loose weight and, as far as I can tell, pretty much are on target with this. I might sneak a chocie bickie every few days and would have probably 5 jubes/jellybeans in a day (I suck them now instead of chewying thru 20 of them!). I do like a bourbon or 5 but mix only with diet coke and have cut this down to only once a week.

However, for the past month, I have not lost any weight, nor are my measurements any smaller. I can see some tone improvement in my arms and calfs and can feel some in my butt but I cant really see any imrpovement in my tummy or my butt.

Am I doing something wrong? Should I be doing more cardio (yuck!)? Is it just that the weight crept on slowly so will creep off slowly? Im feeling really disheartened every time I weigh myself and see myself easily giving up soon if I cant see some light at the end of the tunnel.

Any ideas? Thanks
roosterswife

Re: Cant budge stubborn 2 kg!

Postby Etch » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:56 pm

Dont forget that muscle weights more then fat. So that extra tone could have just replaced the fat that was there before. Also, your body may be telling you it is at the right weight for you, and doesnt need to lose anymore. Just a thought
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wsmzwGz/]
[/url]

For want of a nail, the horse was not shoed.
For want of a horse, the message was not delivered.
Because the message was not delivered, the war was lost.
Etch

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:10 pm

If you've hit a weight loss plateau and you're only 2kg from goal you may have reached your body's set point (the weight it feels most healthy and comfortable at). Are you sure you need to lose those last two kilos?

If it's just a weight loss plateau you could look at this article on SparkPeople to try and give your body a shake-up to lose more weight.

The last couple of kilos are always the hardest ones to lose. If you are determined to lose them then it's going to take a lot of work and it will probably take a long time. When your body thinks it's already at a healthy weight it is very resistant to weight loss.

Good luck! I hope you find an outcome that you are happy with.

cheers,
Ali
EvilWombatQueen

Postby roosterswife » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:21 pm

It may well be that my body is happy at this weight but the extra 2 kgs are all on my tummy! People keep asking me if Im pregnant again! Its getting on my nerves to keep telling everyone that no, Im just fat. My daughter pokes at my tummy and my mum and Dad in law keep rubbing it like Im a little budda for good luck!

Maybe I'll just settle for the lipo that hubby has promised me after we have our last child...
roosterswife

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:40 pm

There may be options before lipo. Rather than looking at weight loss have you considered exercise that will sculpt your body? You can't spot reduce, but you can tone the muscles that support your stomach and back. That may reduce the appearance of your stomach. It might be worth talking to a personal trainer and getting their opinion on how you can target that area. It would be a lot cheaper, a lot less risky and a lot less invasive than liposuction.

Is the appearance of your stomach definitely because of fat? If you are having digestion troubles such as IBS or if you have Coeliac Disease (intolerance to gluten) it can cause your stomach to bloat which can give the appearance of being overweight. A diet high in beans or legumes could have the same effect. Likewise if you have any form of food allergy. If your tummy is more swollen than fat a trip to a dietitian might be the best solution.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby roosterswife » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:58 pm

Thanks for replies. No,its definately fat, the skin on my tummy has stretched from being twice pregnant and just hasnt shunk back yet and there is a big roll of fat that I can grab and move around.

A previous back complaint has made me aware of the important of core strenght and I incorporate pilates and yoga into my workouts. My exercise schedule would probably be 30 mins every day of cardio one day then toning for upper arms and waist (which includes back) next day, then toning for hips thighs and butt, then a pilates than back to cardio etc. I have also just yesterday bought a resistance band which comes with a dvd which I will throw into the mix too.

I can see a ever so slight improvement in my tummy shape (depending on what I wear) but its just really frustrating me that every time I jump on those scales, after being sooo good, they still tell me I have lost anything. And theres my husband eating chocolate and chips and pizza for lunch yesterday, and he never gains anything!!
roosterswife

Postby kcabbs » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:13 pm

I'm 35 with 4 kids and struggled untill i switched to a low GI diet, i've been cutting my carbs but not compeltly stoped eating carbs. Unfortunalely women tend to lose weight from the top downwards which sucks as our problem areas are from waist downwards. And dont forget that with every new diet or program you start you will probably go through a detox for up to 3 days so keep you fluid intake pleanty. Hope this helps a little.
size 18 to 14 since November '08.
kcabbs

Return to Weight loss Talk