It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:54 am

Free Newsletter

Green Tea

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Green Tea

Postby roxy » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:16 pm

I wasn't sure where to put this so here tis....

I am trying out my own eating plan, now i know it is recommended that you eat every 2-3 hours and i was just wondering, because sometimes i don't feel like eating, does green tea count as a snack or should i actually eat something and if so what are the best bets for snacks :)

thanks heaps in advance 8)

xxx
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
roxy

Postby Dolly » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:29 pm

Green Tea does not count as a snack, so drink as much as you like, the antioxidants will keep you young and healthy, watch out for the high caffeine content though, drinking too much might keep you awake at night.
Dolly

Postby roxy » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:44 pm

ok thanks,
what do you suggest i eat with my green tea since i can't have sweet biscuits :(
i know i'm supposed to have fruit n stuff but fruit is so expensive atm.

xxx
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
roxy

Postby Dolly » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:07 pm

I used to like having a banana with my cuppa but since they're now $!2.99 a kilo in some places, it might be good to have a closed handful of dried banana chips.
I'm sure the other ladies here will come up with some good sweet alternatives to having a biscuit.
Dolly

Postby KimE » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:37 pm

Roxy I found some weight watchers biscuits that aren't bad. A serving is two biscuits and that is 80 cals with 0.6 g of fat. Weight watchers fruit slice is what it is called. That sort of thing is often given for a snack on the light n easy plan which I am on. Also other types of low fat muesli bars and cookies. Just watch the size of them as some you can buy are kinda huge. The ones I get are approx 40grams. Fruit or raw veges are always an excellent choice especially if your not too hungry. Also dried fruit and nuts but again watch the portion size.

As all my snacks are supplied with my plan I don't have to think too much about it but I won't be on this forever so I am slowly finding healthy low fat snacks for mornings and afternoons as I have gotten used to eating the smaller meals every 3 hrs.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:32 pm

I didn't think green tea had anywhere near the caffeine of black tea.
I have dried fruit and nuts as a sweet snack.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Dolly » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:57 pm

Yes green tea does contain less caffeine than black tea - Green Tea versus Black Tea
Dolly

Postby Livy » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:38 pm

Hi there, fruit is NOT that expensive. You pay for biscuits and don't think about the cost and they aren't cheap either!! Yes, bananas are expensive, but usually you can get oranges, apples, grapes and peaches at a fair price. I even occacionally get strawberries or blueberries as a treat. Once you rid yourself of all the other junk out of your diet, you will find it will loosen up money for fruit!!!! I eat way too much of the stuff. The thing is, you really do have to eat things you will eat forever. Eating temporary low fat bikkies, with loads of artifical sweetners are part of the problems that 95% of diets dont' work! You can still have sweet bikkies OCCASIONALLY, but just have one, other than a whole packet. Easier said than done, TRUST me, I know!! Also, a great snack is nuts, like almonds, or dried fruit, like dates or apricots.
Livy

Postby jacka » Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:43 am

Roxy, green tea is a great thing to drink when you need something soothing and warm in your body. If you need a snack because you are hungry (rather than bored or habit) I definitely thiink that something with protein in it will help fill you up for longer, I love fruit but it doesn't keep me full long enough. I have been eating protein bars as my between meal snack at different times. They are more expensive than biscuits etc but have much less sugar and carbs than even weight watchers biscuits. Often half a bar is enough to fill me up. The ones I love and swear by (Slim Secrets) are high in protein and fibre, low GI and less fat than most chocolate treats (I think under 4g). I have posted about them in a previous post on snacks that really work if you want to know more.
jacka

Postby swans05 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:17 pm

each meal shood contain protein as this digests slower...obviously protein and veg and or salad is the best option for all meals but not at all exciting...good snacks i think r them sml tune tins which yeild no carbs but plenty of protein and healthy fats...i don't advise my client's 2 have those meal replacement / low fat type snacks as they are packed with carbs which i think are equal if not worse than bad fats...Livy is on the money with her post
swans05

Postby jacka » Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:07 am

I don't disagree that the best snack to eat between meals is what Livy suggested but there are many times where my body(and I'm sure I'm not alone) just craves somerthing besides these types of food. So i eat the fruit but then I start eating everything else in sight because it is not really what my body wanted in the first place. The Slim Secrets protein snacks I have are in comparison to most other similar products low in carbs and low GI so they do the trick for me. That's not to say that most other similar snacks aren't high carb as I know they are (especially the cereal bars for my kids). Sometimes we just need more than an apple or banana to help our cravings so it is great to have other alternatives on hand. Especially foods that you can have close when you do get physically hungry.
jacka

Postby swans05 » Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:01 am

i'm with u there...low cal snacks i go with that are Yoplai Yoghurt (10g carbs, 0g fat)...Carb Smart ice cream (5g carbs, 1g fat) with topping (2g carbs if that)...i have the tyoghurt with some microwave fish before bed and the ice cream after tea uaually or mite swap them around...there all in Safeway so if they sound alrite have a look
swans05

Postby Dolly » Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:33 pm

I guess we're all different, I agree that whilst protein meals give me a wonderful feeling for longer (which discourages the binge eating) my three serves of protein really stacks the weight on for me (and believe me I've been experimenting for years) my three serves are often plain skim yoghurt, a serve of fish with salad, and then a serve of chicken with salad just don't work for me, however if I replace one of the serves of protein with a slice of rye bread it makes all the difference in the world.

It might be because I'm hypothyroid that my body responds that way, I'm always careful to avoid the goitrogen foods but eating much needed protein makes me gain big time.
I guess we're all different as to how we respond to food especially if we're on specific medication.
Dolly

Return to Weight loss Talk