It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:33 am

Free Newsletter

junk day??

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

junk day??

Postby mummy2dylan » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:18 pm

Last night my partner wanted to go out for dinner, so we went out to a chinese restuarant..i ate so much! (it was all u can eat) I have been so good since i started my diet (only a week ago) and felt really guilty... My friend told me its ok to have a junk day.. just one meal, one day a week and it wont hurt me losing weight..is this ok? how many of u have junk days?
mummy2dylan

Re: junk day??

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:24 am

Some people swear by calorie cycling. The theory behind it is that if you restrict calories every day over time your body adjusts. It prepares for a famine by slowing your metabolism and thereby slowing your weight loss. So adherents to calorie cycling have one day per week where they go over their calorie allowance. They claim that it stops the body from feeling the need to adjust to a lower level of calories. And because 6 out of the 7 days are spent in calorie deficit you still lose weight.

If you think that would work for you, and if it will help you stick to healthier eating patterns on the other 6 days, then by all means give it a try. I found it didn't work for me. Not because the theory behind it is flawed, I just found that my free-eating Saturday slowly became a free-eating Saturday and Sunday. Then I started justifying Friday night... and so on. Most diets work in theory. The trouble is finding one that you can stick to long enough to make it work.

If you don't want to do calorie cycling then you have two other ways to deal with eating out. If it's a once-in-a-blue-moon experience then you can choose not to worry about it too much. It may impact your weight loss that week, but when you balance it out with other weeks it's not going to have any lasting effect. This differs from calorie cycling because it's not a regular planned activity, it's just accepting that occasionally you are going to go over your calorie allowance and provided it happens infrequently it's no big deal.

The other way of dealing with it is to learn from the situation you found yourself in and make decisions about how you'll tackle it next time. Could you have made healthier choices on the menu? Or perhaps ask for smaller servings, or take any left-over food home rather than feeling the need to eat it all at the table? This could be a better way of handling eating out if you are going to be doing it regularly.

Good luck!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Shalimar » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:30 am

EvilWombatQueen wrote:If you don't want to do calorie cycling then you have two other ways to deal with eating out. If it's a once-in-a-blue-moon experience then you can choose not to worry about it too much. It may impact your weight loss that week, but when you balance it out with other weeks it's not going to have any lasting effect. This differs from calorie cycling because it's not a regular planned activity, it's just accepting that occasionally you are going to go over your calorie allowance and provided it happens infrequently it's no big deal.
Good luck!

That is how I do things. I just accept that there are going to be times when I have a "calorie blow out", I don't worry about making the healthier choice or being careful, I have whatever I want and I get straight back on track from the very next meal. That said I don't do it too often (maybe every couple of months).
I think the fact I allow myself a small treat at the end of each day eliminates the "need" to go overboard too often.

SW: 175.0 kgs.
CW: 62 kgs-Hit goal 12 September 2009.
Shalimar

Postby Jisgone » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:33 am

I think allowing yourself cheat days can be bad for your relationship with food especially in your first week of weight loss.. its alright to have a blow out every once in a while but if u do it weekly you'll feel restricted the other 6 days of the week. A good diet is all about a healthy balance of the good and the bad that u can keep up every day
Jisgone

Postby Etch » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:25 pm

Its all about balance. I found the more i restricted my diet/cal intake the more i slipped up. And when i slipped up i got pissed off and slipped up even more. Junk days would spell bad news for me. Its all about taking the good with the bad, a little here and there is ok, but i dont think having a "Junk day" benefits anyone
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wsmzwGz/]
[/url]

For want of a nail, the horse was not shoed.
For want of a horse, the message was not delivered.
Because the message was not delivered, the war was lost.
Etch

Postby electrongirl » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:47 pm

It totally depends on the person.

I myself found that having 1 free day meant that I behaved myself more on the other days because I really looked forward to the free day.

When I used to do Weight Watchers, I would get up and go to my meeting on Saturday morning, weigh in then pick up hubby and son, and we would go to our favourite cafe and have breakfast. Which usually consisted of bacon, eggs, hash brown & toast and coffee.

I never counted the points of that meal. We would then do all of our shopping and running around afterwards and most times we would have something quite light for dinner.

The next 6 days I would stick to my WW points, usually saving a point here and there to go towards my Sat meal.

When I stuck to this I lost weight every week.

But you have to make sure you stick to it and look forward to the once a week treat.

You can't live life watching every single piece of food that goes into your mouth, but you can be healthy.

Try it and see how it goes.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby stevo » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:43 pm

I'm a big fan of having a 'Junk Day' or 'Treat Day'. Here's why...

This short-term indulgence may be beneficial for fat loss because on the ‘Treat Day’ people eat more food (overall calories) than normal and this tells the body that it is being well fed and there is no need to slow the metabolism down. As a result, your metabolism remains elevated, maximising fat loss.

Another fat-loss benefit of the ‘Treat Day’ is the fact that your metabolic rate will increase because more food has been consumed and therefore more energy is required for digestion – the ‘thermic effect’ of food increases. This boost in the body’s metabolic rate burns up many of the excess calories consumed, so an increase in the body’s fat stores is unlikely.

There are also psychological benefits to having a ‘Treat Day’. A ‘Treat Day’ pacifies your cravings for ‘forbidden foods’ and may also make you feel a little guilty for over-indulging, so getting back to following the Nutritional Plan will be easier.

Remember of course, the ‘Treat Day’ is only for one or at most two meals. It certainly doesn't mean you should set your alalarm for 5am and have a feeding frenzy until midnight!!!

The main reason why most diets don’t work is because they preach total abstinence from good tasting foods. I believe allowing yourself one day a week to eat and drink whatever you want makes it much easier to follow a healthy eating plan and also maintain a lean, athletic body.

In order to see permanent changes in your body you need to make some permanent lifestyle changes. Following this pattern of eating should become a permanent habit. Eat healthy six days a week and indulge yourself once a week. This is much better for fat loss than indulging here and there during the week.

When you first commence your new Nutritional Plan, stick to it for at least one month before having a ‘Treat Day’ to establish the habit of good eating. Then, when you do have your ‘Treat Day’, you probably won’t eat as much as you first thought because your body and your tastebuds won’t be used to the high fat and high sugar foods. Also, because your taste buds are replenished every week or so, you’ll probably find some of the ‘Treat Day’ foods too rich to overindulge in and therefore your intake will be substantially reduced.

Most people find if they are strict with their eating for one month and then have their first ‘Treat Day’, they usually find themselves feeling a little sick afterwards because their bodies aren’t used to eating ‘junk’ food.

Overall, plan your ‘Treat Day’. Set out to eat the foods you really enjoy and go for it!
Stephen is the part-owner of Body Concepts and Focus On magazine. Stephen has been involved in the health and fitness industry for over 18 years and has a science degree from UWA.
stevo

Postby kristal » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:20 pm

I tend to make Saturday my "relaxed day" mainly because we always have dinner out on a Saturday whether it be at families house for a home cooked dinner or out to a restaurant but I try not to overindulge during the day so that I can really enjoy my relaxed dinner that night.

I find if I really restrict myself too much, I tend to start to resent the fact that I have to be on a diet, so if I relax my routine for one day I think it gives you that little lenience to then get back on that boat.

Just my thoughts though. I agree it is a personal choice and only you know your own body and what works
SW - 71 kg
CW - 65 kg
GW - 58 kg
Weight Loss so Far = 6kgs
Weight to go = 7kgs
kristal

Return to Weight loss Talk