It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:53 am

Free Newsletter

Fruit

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Fruit

Postby MissMinx » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:28 am

How much is too much when trying to loose weight?

For example I'm eating it Monday to Friday, morning and afternoons.

I have a very light lunch Mon to Fri in general but I also hit the fruit which worries me if I'm having too much!

For example today, I've just had 2 apricots and in the arvo i have two handfuls of red grapes.

Other days I have 2-3 peaches and an apple or banana all in one day.

I think I better start bringing in some more carrots for the afternoon because I think the sugar is getting a hold of me and I cant not eat fruit whilst I'm at work lol.

Cheers
MM
Current weight: 64.2kgs
Goal weight: 60kgs

Ok so my Sydney trip is over and I've reached 64.2kgs - my next weigh in is in 2 weeks time so that whatever damage I did in Sydney will be done and dusted! I would love to lose 4.2kgs by Xmas time and I guess thats where my new goal begins :)
MissMinx

Re: Fruit

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:46 pm

It depends. Many diet plans recommend no more than two servings of fruit per day since, as you pointed out, fruit is full of sugar. Other plans allow unlimited fruit and veggies between meals. Personally I think a minimum of two servings of fruit per day is good. But that's more from a health view than a weight loss view since fruit is a great source of vitamins and soluble fibre. And the sugars in fruit are a great energy boost. Fruit can be a real pick-me-up as a three o'clock snack, something you won't get with carrots.

When it comes to weight loss, it depends on if you're following a rigid program or not. If you are, then see how fruit can be incorporated within it. For instance as far as I know all fruit is forbidden in the first two weeks of the South Beach Diet. If you are counting calories, however, you can factor in as much fruit as you like provided you a) don't go over your calorie allowance, and b) you still eat other foods to give you all the other nutrients you need. If you're just combining healthy eating with exercise without a rigid program then you can just see how you go. Eat as much fruit as you feel like then see what the scales/measuring tape/fat calipers have to say. If you gain weight doing it then cut down, if it helps you lose weigh then keep going.

One thing I do recommend is to rinse your mouth with water or chew sugar-free gum after eating acidic fruits as the acids damage tooth enamel. However, don't brush your teeth immediately after eating acidic fruit or drinking an acidic fruit juice, soft drink or smoothie. The acids soften the enamel which is further damaged by brushing. Wait half an hour for saliva to neutralise the acids before brushing.
EvilWombatQueen

Re: Fruit

Postby MissMinx » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:05 pm

Thanks Ali very helpful information.

I think thats what I'll do on my next weight loss journey..see what the scales say by eating the fruit that I'm eating now, fitting it into my daily calories, eat well the rest of the time and exercise as much as possible.

I'll see what happens!

Thanks heaps!
Current weight: 64.2kgs
Goal weight: 60kgs

Ok so my Sydney trip is over and I've reached 64.2kgs - my next weigh in is in 2 weeks time so that whatever damage I did in Sydney will be done and dusted! I would love to lose 4.2kgs by Xmas time and I guess thats where my new goal begins :)
MissMinx

Return to Weight loss Talk