It is currently Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:08 am

Free Newsletter

To Carb or Not To Carb

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

To Carb or Not To Carb

Postby Mark Blomeley » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:14 pm

Hi Guys,

First post for me in this forum and i just wanted to share with you my latest article from my blog. To visit my blog go to *link removed by moderator*

One area of nutrition that I get a lot of questions due to my own weight loss, is how many carbohydrates should I have and when should I have them. This issue is somewhat compounded by the numerous different messages when it comes to weight loss that is out there in the industry. So lets clear it up logically and once and for all!

Firstly restricting carbohydrates has been shown to be one of the fastest and produce the biggest weight loss in the market place. Not only that but its what body builders use to get “ripped” prior to competition, so there’s no doubting that it does work. However logic suggests that this kind of diet is clearly not sustainable, therefore it is ideal to strike a balance between restricting carbohydrates and having a sustainable eating plan.

So to achieve this my suggestions (which I think you might find quite logical) are as follows.

-When trying to lose weight aim to achieve a carbohydrate intake of 100grams (its important to take into consideration the carbohydrate content of fruit and vege as well as part of this!). An intake of 100g of carbohydrate allows you a decent intake at breakfast, a small amount of carbohdrate at lunch and then the rest being made up of fruits and vegetables. This amount is quite achievable for anyone!

- Avoid anything sweet, i.e lollies, soft drinks, chocolate etc, but there are no sugar options out there which are worth considering in small amounts only! These foods have massive amounts of carbohdrates which are very readily stored as fat.
- Only eat carbohydrates that are either wholegrain/multigrain or vegetable/fruit based. These are low GI options which will not give you the crash and burn affect and are not as easily stored as fat as the high GI options listed above.

- Avoid Carbohydrates at night (only have a small amount that is in vegetables). Carbohydrates are there for energy and if you are having these at night then they are not going to get used, they will simply be stored as fat when you don’t use them.

For more articles go to my blog *link removed by moderator*

Mark Blomeley
Exercise Physiologist &
Managing Director
Last edited by Jisgone on Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: no advertising please
Mark Blomeley

Return to Weight loss Talk