It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:21 am

Free Newsletter

weight watchers ~ who does it??

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

weight watchers ~ who does it??

Postby think - thin » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:39 pm

I am going to start following weight watchers tommorrow. Was just wondering if anyone else is doing it too?

I am not going to meetings. I am going to use the books I got from there a few years ago
JESSIKA

Start Weight (2.1.09) 89.6kg
29.3.09 - 84.4kg
18.4.09 - 87.3kg :(
Total Loss : 5.2kg
think - thin

Re: weight watchers ~ who does it??

Postby E J » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:16 pm

i did it online, but i found i wasnt learning about food, just sticking to the points.

so now i follow callorieking.com.au =D

good luck
E J

Postby CrimsonThunder » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:15 pm

My auntie used to and she gained nothing from it. She now does Curves and she is going very well.

Does weightwatches even have a work out plan? I dont think they do...
- Stevo
CrimsonThunder

Postby electrongirl » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:17 am

If you go to the Weight Watchers meetings and get the weekly books the plan is very good, but if you try to do it by yourself without the proper information then you won't be full prepared to do it.

It's been a very successful program for thousands and thousands of people. It has been voted the best weightloss program out there many years running.

No I don't work for WW and I have tried many different programs and I can say WW is one of the best.

The best way to get everything out of it is to attend the meetings, doing it online your putting all the responsibility on yourself to read everything and you don't have a leader there to talk to and other members to trade advice and hints with (except the forums)

So I strongly urge that if you want to follow WW go to meetings. With the Unlimited plan its quite cheap.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby electrongirl » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:19 am

CrimsonThunder wrote:My auntie used to and she gained nothing from it. She now does Curves and she is going very well.

Does weightwatches even have a work out plan? I dont think they do...

They don't have a work out plan but they encourage excercise. WW is more of a lifestyle change so they try to encourage you to make changes that you will be able to fit into your life forever. They don't put unrealistic goals on people.

Also ultimately its up to the member to follow the plan once you go home with all the details of the program, so if your auntie failed, you shouldn't blame the program.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby CrimsonThunder » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:14 am

electrongirl wrote:Also ultimately its up to the member to follow the plan once you go home with all the details of the program, so if your auntie failed, you shouldn't blame the program.

Don't make accusations, you dont know if she did it properly or not. I didn't say she failed I said she gained nothing from it. And yes, I can blame the program if I want, moreso if a different program worked better for her. :)
- Stevo
CrimsonThunder

Postby thunderthighs » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:49 pm

I've used them a few times, and it worked really well (while I followed the programme of course).

This time I am just using all the tools from my past memberships, and walk around with my points calculator everywhere.

So I guess I AM using Weight Watchers, but not actually going to the meetings. I'll hold my own little meeting on a Friday morning in my bathroom, where I see how I've gone. The money I would have spent on the meeting will go towards treats for every 5 kilos I lose (not those kind of treats, I'm thinking new top, new hairdo, new shoes etc etc).

I found it was hard for me to get to a meeting, and if I didn't go, I used that as an excuse to not stick to the programme. But my very good friend lost 30 kilos with them, in a year. Has kept it off for 5 years now.
SW: 79.1
GW: 64 (top of healthy weight range)
Ultimate GW: 59.9

Doing it for me, this time.

thunderthighs

Postby electrongirl » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:12 pm

CrimsonThunder wrote:
electrongirl wrote:Also ultimately its up to the member to follow the plan once you go home with all the details of the program, so if your auntie failed, you shouldn't blame the program.

Don't make accusations, you dont know if she did it properly or not. I didn't say she failed I said she gained nothing from it. And yes, I can blame the program if I want, moreso if a different program worked better for her. :)

Ok maybe me using "failed" wasn't the right word.

However, if followed correctly WW works. I have been doing it off and on for about 9 years and I know it works and I know its one of the best programs out there.

Its about real food, they don't try to sell you anything. you don't have to buy shakes, supplements etc. All you need are the points guides or the online service which is included in the weekly meeting fee.

They teach you about portion control, swapping foods in recipes, seeking support, etc etc.

I'm not sure why your Aunt didn't get anything out of it because they are very helpful and I have always found them to be knowledgeable,

Maybe she had a bad leader or something.

But the program itself is very good and one of the best out there.

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:15 pm

I used to go to WW meetings and they were great. I lost between 0.5kg and 1.0kg per week the entire time I was there. I think the combination of books and meetings were necessary for me to lose the weight. I've tried just following the books since then and I just don't have the same motivation. The meetings not only offer you face-to-face support, but you also get a motivational talk from the team-leader to keep you on track and there's the added accountability of a public weigh-in! The team leader should talk you through basic nutrition as well. I know mine did. I really think you need to find the right team-leader, though. I went to two different groups in the time I did WW due to changing working hours and while one of the leaders was great I just didn't get the same inspiration from the other one.

The thing that drove me away in the end was the cost. As a student I couldn't afford the $20 per week. If you can afford to attend the meetings I highly recommend them.

As to whether WW can 'fail' anyone I think it's like any other weight loss program. On paper they all work. In practice they only work if the person can stick to them. It doesn't mean that the person 'failed' if they can't stick to it. It just means that that particular program didn't suit them whereas another one might. WW is pretty flexible and it may have been voted the best weight loss program simply because most people can stick to it. But even if 99 people out of 100 find it the perfect solution for them there's still that one person who would find another program suited them better.

I think the perception of a weight loss program 'failing' someone comes from the marketing. No weight loss system will admit that they're not for everyone. So the blame is put back onto the individual. If Atkins didn't work for you it's because you were a piggy who craved carbs. If WW didn't work for you it's because you don't have the discipline to follow the rules. If low-fat doesn't work for you then it's because you're a chocolate-guzzling freakazoid with no self-control. They'll never come out with a checklist so that you can match your personal needs with their diet plan. They portray themselves as a one-size-fits-all solution when most people require individual tailoring to lose the weight.

In my experience the only way you'll find out if a solution suits you is to try it. And unfortunately this sort of trial-and-error learning requires a fair bit of error for it to work. Each time a weight loss plan doesn't work the easiest thing is to blame yourself, or blame the plan. But it's all a learning process. Just figure out why that plan didn't work for you and find another one that doesn't share that weakness.

Good luck! I hope you enjoy Weight Watchers. Let us know how you get on.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby thunderthighs » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:34 pm

That was beautifully written Ali.

Very well put.

Jo
SW: 79.1
GW: 64 (top of healthy weight range)
Ultimate GW: 59.9

Doing it for me, this time.

thunderthighs

Postby think - thin » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:54 pm

thanks for your input guys... I will look more into it.

Like I said I have the books but I think I might need to actually go to the meetings to follow it correctly.
JESSIKA

Start Weight (2.1.09) 89.6kg
29.3.09 - 84.4kg
18.4.09 - 87.3kg :(
Total Loss : 5.2kg
think - thin

Return to Weight loss Talk