It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:21 am

Free Newsletter

how many calories

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

how many calories

Postby E J » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:28 pm

ive done two diffrent methods to check how many calories i should be having a day one was in womens healh mag and one was online.. both said i needed 1500-1700 to LOSE weight... ive been doing 1200-1300,

i know they say dont have less than 1200 a day but on the biggest loser they have(well the women) have 1000 a day and exercise/train tons.

i dont eat my exercise calories either, i dont see the point.
i get 500-1kg weight loss a week. any hints and tips to get that little bit extra off each week?

i go to the gym 3 times a week (mon-wed-fri) to a mums class, really a total body class.

i dont do much the other days, but im going to try get my self walking/jogging 2-3of those extra days.
E J

Re: how many calories

Postby MissSonia » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:44 pm

Biggest Loser isn't really a great guide, they are too extreme and this is why they lose weight so quickly and have a massive amount of excess skin. I think that Calorie King is pretty good, as it adjusts your recommended calorie intake with your weight loss.
MissSonia

Postby E J » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:56 pm

calorie king said i should have 1500, but i do 1200-1300 i cant eat 1500 in healhy calories a day thats massive i cant fit it in haha, if it were junk i could haha

i dont get how they pull anything over 2kga week
E J

Postby MissSonia » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:16 pm

lol, it's hard to pull those numbers. They do exercise for about 7hrs a day and with the minimal calories, basically they're running on empty.
MissSonia

Postby fi_112 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:29 pm

which is why they pretty much never maintain it ... unless you count replacing 2 meals a day FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE as maintaining :S
To wish you were someone else is to waste the person you are
fi_112

Postby MissSonia » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:35 pm

haha, exactly!
MissSonia

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:16 pm

If you have problems eating enough food to make up the calories perhaps have a couple of servings of nuts per day. They are full of calories but also full of healthy fats and vitamins so they're a very healthy way to make up the extra calories. Or consider adding half an avocado to your diet each day.

I know it can seem counter-intuitive to eat anything but the barest minimum of calories when trying to lose weight but I highly recommend eating your entire calorie allowance, and also eating your exercise calories. At least try it for a week and see what the scales or measurements say at the end. Often you'll find you lose more weight by doing that because your body isn't convinced it's about to starve. It also makes it easier to lose weight down the track because you can adjust your calories without going into starvation mode.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby MissMinx » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:27 pm

Also you dont have THAT much weight to lose, you want to get down to 55kgs I see and you're around 70 atm - well as you get closer to your goal the harder it is! BL contestants have a lot of weight to lose so their more likely to drop 2kgs+ per week and considering their extreme regime too its just not normal.
Current weight: 64.2kgs
Goal weight: 60kgs

Ok so my Sydney trip is over and I've reached 64.2kgs - my next weigh in is in 2 weeks time so that whatever damage I did in Sydney will be done and dusted! I would love to lose 4.2kgs by Xmas time and I guess thats where my new goal begins :)
MissMinx

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:04 pm

MissMinx is right. Remember 0.5kg to 1kg per week is a very healthy rate of weight loss. It may seem slow, but experts recommend you lose weight no faster than that. And as MissMinx said, it's harder to lose weight the closer you are to goal. Given you're at about 70kg now I think 0.5kg to 1kg per week is a terrific rate of weight loss! I wish I were losing that much per week! :D
EvilWombatQueen

Postby MissMinx » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:17 pm

Exactly like EvilWombatQueen said, that amount of weight per week for your weight right now is PERFECTO!!
Current weight: 64.2kgs
Goal weight: 60kgs

Ok so my Sydney trip is over and I've reached 64.2kgs - my next weigh in is in 2 weeks time so that whatever damage I did in Sydney will be done and dusted! I would love to lose 4.2kgs by Xmas time and I guess thats where my new goal begins :)
MissMinx

Postby E J » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:09 pm

thanx guys!!

i realise it's extreme in the house, but i read, dont eat under 1200 calories otheriwse your body will go into starvation mode. but they eat less than that in the house, and probably work off 1000calories a day as well i just dont get it, lol

im really happy with the 1kg a week loss for me, it's just a lil annoying when you want to get somewhere faster... i shiuld be under 70this week, back into the 60's i cant wait, last time i was there it was a good 3 years ago!
E J

Return to Weight loss Talk