It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:42 pm

Free Newsletter

The Truth About Meal Replacement Shakes

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

The Truth About Meal Replacement Shakes

Postby stevo » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:42 pm

Hi,

Here's some info on Meal Replacements Shakes that I recommend reading before you consider using them. Here's my take on them:

- Will you get the weight off fast by replacing main meals with shakes? Yes, because you will be reducing your overall calorie intake substantially.
- What is the likelihood that you WILL put all the weight back on when you go back to normal eating? Very high!
- Should I replacement my breakfast and lunch with shakes? Absolutely not!
- Is the approach most of these programs recommend a long-term, sustainable lifestyle? I think NOT!
- Are they a good source of nutrition? No, Most are loaded with high GI sugars and have inferior quality protein sources like skim milk solids!
- If I want to use them, how should I use them? Only use them for snacks.
- How do you identify a good meal replacement shake? Read the article below:

How to Choose the Right Meal Replacement For You
If you are serious about losing weight, improving your health and boosting your energy, then you should endeavour to have 5 or 6 small meals each day: breakfast, mid-morning, lunch, mid-afternoon, dinner and perhaps supper as well. Unfortunately, since we are all so busy with work, family and various other commitments, it is almost impossible to fit in all the meals. This where meal replacement shakes can help. They are quick, easy, convenient, portable and cheap. They also help to control the portion sizes of your meals. They can be used 2 or 3 times a day to ensure all your meals are consumed.

Skipping meals as many people do because they are busy forces the body to kick in its ‘Anti-Starvation Response’. This results in a slowing of the metabolism, a loss of precious lean body tissue, particularly muscle, an increase in appetite and an increase in the activity of fat-storing enzymes. Having a small meal every 2-3 hours throughout the day prevents this from occurring.

Since it is obvious that meal replacement shakes should be used by virtually everyone, it is important to know how to select the right one for you, when you should take it, what ingredients it should contain and what ingredients it shouldn’t contain.

Firstly, any nutritional strategy you choose to incorporate into your lifestyle must be sustainable. This means you should be able to do it for the rest of your life. If any strategy is not a sustainable lifestyle option for you then you shouldn’t use it. As a result, meal replacement shakes should only replace your mid-morning, mid-afternoon and perhaps your supper meals. These are the meals that are generally considered to be snacks. For most people, replacing the ‘main’ meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) with shakes it not a sustainable strategy and therefore should not be used; the exception being those people who find it difficult to eat first thing in the morning. In that situation a shake can be used for breakfast but then a ‘whole-food’ meal should be consumed for the mid-morning meal.

If you are interested in losing weight or simply improving your health and energy level then the meal replacement shake you use should be low in fat and carbohydrate and high in protein. If you want to put on weight then higher carbohydrate and fat levels are okay. For best results choose shakes that contain 15g-30g of protein, 2g-10g of carbohydrate and 2g-5g of fat per serve.

The primary protein source should be whey protein because it is the highest quality protein source available. Avoid using shakes that contain cheap and inferior quality protein sources like skim milk powder, milk protein isolates or soy isolates.

The carbohydrate should come from maltodextrin, which is a complex carbohydrate, or should be derived from the protein source. Avoid shakes that use cheap sugars like glucose, glucose syrup or high fructose corn syrup. It is also best to avoid plain fructose as a carbohydrate source too. Even though it is a low Glycaemic Index carbohydrate, fructose can be easily converted into body fat by the liver.

The fat usually comes from the protein source and as long as it is contains 5 grams or less per serve that is fine. Always make sure the level of saturated fat per serve in the shake is less than 2 grams per serve.

Meal replacement shakes that contain added vitamins and minerals are fine but are not essential. It is best to use a multivitamin and mineral supplement every day anyway simply because the levels of the ingredients tend to be higher than those contained in shakes.

If your goal is to lose weight it is best to mix the shake in water rather than milk because the milk will increase the carbohydrate content of the meal too much. If you goal is simply to improve your health or energy then mixing the shake in low-fat milk is fine.

Other factors you need to consider when using a meal replacement shake are: taste, mixability and cost.

It is essential that the shake tastes nice in order for it to be a sustainable lifestyle option for you. If you don’t like the taste of the shake then it is highly likely you won’t stick to using it long term.

The mixability of the shake is important too. Since shakes are supposed to be convenient they should mix instantly. You must be able to stir them with a spoon or put them in a shaker cup and have it prepared in a matter of seconds. There shouldn’t be any need to use a blender.

The cost of the shake is also a major factor to consider. They need to be a cost-effective meal option. $2-$4 per serve is a reasonable price to pay for a shake.

The meal replacement shakes come in a powdered form and are available in tubs, buckets or sachets. Any of these are fine to use. The sachets have the added advantage of being portable because they can be put into your handbag and carried around with you during the day.

Meal replacement shakes are rapidly becoming the fast food of the new millennium because more people understand the benefits of having small, frequent meals and the ease that comes with using shakes.

I hope you found this article useful.

Regards,

Steve.
Stephen is the part-owner of Body Concepts and Focus On magazine. Stephen has been involved in the health and fitness industry for over 18 years and has a science degree from UWA.
stevo

Re: The Truth About Meal Replacement Shakes

Postby isafeelgreat » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:46 pm

stevo wrote:Hi,

Here's some info on Meal Replacements Shakes that I recommend reading before you consider using them. Here's my take on them:

- Will you get the weight off fast by replacing main meals with shakes? Yes, because you will be reducing your overall calorie intake substantially.
- What is the likelihood that you WILL put all the weight back on when you go back to normal eating? Very high!
- Should I replacement my breakfast and lunch with shakes? Absolutely not!
- Is the approach most of these programs recommend a long-term, sustainable lifestyle? I think NOT!
- Are they a good source of nutrition? No, Most are loaded with high GI sugars and have inferior quality protein sources like skim milk solids!
- If I want to use them, how should I use them? Only use them for snacks.
- How do you identify a good meal replacement shake? Read the article below:

How to Choose the Right Meal Replacement For You
If you are serious about losing weight, improving your health and boosting your energy, then you should endeavour to have 5 or 6 small meals each day: breakfast, mid-morning, lunch, mid-afternoon, dinner and perhaps supper as well. Unfortunately, since we are all so busy with work, family and various other commitments, it is almost impossible to fit in all the meals. This where meal replacement shakes can help. They are quick, easy, convenient, portable and cheap. They also help to control the portion sizes of your meals. They can be used 2 or 3 times a day to ensure all your meals are consumed.

Skipping meals as many people do because they are busy forces the body to kick in its ‘Anti-Starvation Response’. This results in a slowing of the metabolism, a loss of precious lean body tissue, particularly muscle, an increase in appetite and an increase in the activity of fat-storing enzymes. Having a small meal every 2-3 hours throughout the day prevents this from occurring.

Since it is obvious that meal replacement shakes should be used by virtually everyone, it is important to know how to select the right one for you, when you should take it, what ingredients it should contain and what ingredients it shouldn’t contain.

Firstly, any nutritional strategy you choose to incorporate into your lifestyle must be sustainable. This means you should be able to do it for the rest of your life. If any strategy is not a sustainable lifestyle option for you then you shouldn’t use it. As a result, meal replacement shakes should only replace your mid-morning, mid-afternoon and perhaps your supper meals. These are the meals that are generally considered to be snacks. For most people, replacing the ‘main’ meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) with shakes it not a sustainable strategy and therefore should not be used; the exception being those people who find it difficult to eat first thing in the morning. In that situation a shake can be used for breakfast but then a ‘whole-food’ meal should be consumed for the mid-morning meal.

If you are interested in losing weight or simply improving your health and energy level then the meal replacement shake you use should be low in fat and carbohydrate and high in protein. If you want to put on weight then higher carbohydrate and fat levels are okay. For best results choose shakes that contain 15g-30g of protein, 2g-10g of carbohydrate and 2g-5g of fat per serve.

The primary protein source should be whey protein because it is the highest quality protein source available. Avoid using shakes that contain cheap and inferior quality protein sources like skim milk powder, milk protein isolates or soy isolates.

The carbohydrate should come from maltodextrin, which is a complex carbohydrate, or should be derived from the protein source. Avoid shakes that use cheap sugars like glucose, glucose syrup or high fructose corn syrup. It is also best to avoid plain fructose as a carbohydrate source too. Even though it is a low Glycaemic Index carbohydrate, fructose can be easily converted into body fat by the liver.

The fat usually comes from the protein source and as long as it is contains 5 grams or less per serve that is fine. Always make sure the level of saturated fat per serve in the shake is less than 2 grams per serve.

Meal replacement shakes that contain added vitamins and minerals are fine but are not essential. It is best to use a multivitamin and mineral supplement every day anyway simply because the levels of the ingredients tend to be higher than those contained in shakes.

If your goal is to lose weight it is best to mix the shake in water rather than milk because the milk will increase the carbohydrate content of the meal too much. If you goal is simply to improve your health or energy then mixing the shake in low-fat milk is fine.

Other factors you need to consider when using a meal replacement shake are: taste, mixability and cost.

It is essential that the shake tastes nice in order for it to be a sustainable lifestyle option for you. If you don’t like the taste of the shake then it is highly likely you won’t stick to using it long term.

The mixability of the shake is important too. Since shakes are supposed to be convenient they should mix instantly. You must be able to stir them with a spoon or put them in a shaker cup and have it prepared in a matter of seconds. There shouldn’t be any need to use a blender.

The cost of the shake is also a major factor to consider. They need to be a cost-effective meal option. $2-$4 per serve is a reasonable price to pay for a shake.

The meal replacement shakes come in a powdered form and are available in tubs, buckets or sachets. Any of these are fine to use. The sachets have the added advantage of being portable because they can be put into your handbag and carried around with you during the day.

Meal replacement shakes are rapidly becoming the fast food of the new millennium because more people understand the benefits of having small, frequent meals and the ease that comes with using shakes.

I hope you found this article useful.

Regards,

Steve.

Hi Steve

I really enjoyed reading your article on "The Truth About Meal Replacement Shakes" and given your background the statements you made had more resonance.

My wife and I have just started a meal replacement program and I would love to hear your comments on it, would you please review this 5 minute video and let me know your opinions.

Thanking you in advance.
Last edited by Shalimar on Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Advertising removed-yet again.
Best Regards & Good Luck
Graham & Sara
isafeelgreat

Postby Jisgone » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:18 pm

you deserve a payrise shalimar :P
Jisgone

Postby Shalimar » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:36 pm

Sounds like a plan Jewles :wink: :lol: .

SW: 175.0 kgs.
CW: 62 kgs-Hit goal 12 September 2009.
Shalimar

Postby Karnak » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:00 pm

Spam comes in Tag Team form now ???.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wy5Nvxw/]
[/url]
Karnak

Postby Jisgone » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:06 pm

hahahaha thats hillarious :P
it seems they do, but we keep on top of them and eventually they give up and go somewhere more accepting of blatant advertising
Jisgone

Postby MissSonia » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:26 pm

That reminds me, you should go to [url]somerandomwebsiteaboutstuff.lol[/url]
MissSonia

Postby MissSonia » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:27 pm

Well, that failed miserably lol
*remembers to preview*
MissSonia

Postby SarahC » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:26 pm

I think Steve should go to
http://www.submityourarticle.com
or maybe
http://www.ehow.com
or something like that.... because submitting articles on forums is not really cool :?
In my opinion, we should delete all his posts. Too bad they are actually vaguely interesting :evil: But unwelcome nonetheless. Just my opinion, if any other mods want to back me up...
SarahC

Postby stevo » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:38 pm

Hi Sarah,

If you would like to refrain from posting articles I am happy to do so. I already submit articles to article sites.

I have posted these articles because it seems that people on here would like the information. I am simply trying to provide people with useful information regarding weight loss. It seems that there is still so much confusion in this area and I just want to help.

Furthermore, it saves me from having to re-write a long discourse answering the questions or providing my opinion on the topic (for what it is worth).

Nevertheless, I will respect your wishes.

Regards,

Steve.
Stephen is the part-owner of Body Concepts and Focus On magazine. Stephen has been involved in the health and fitness industry for over 18 years and has a science degree from UWA.
stevo

Postby Jisgone » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:08 am

I dont mind reading articles from people who are really just trying to be helpful, but shameless plugs like 'can you review this product *enter spam url here*' annoy me :)
I pm'd steve about posting url's and he stopped straight away so I can see hes not trying to stir anyone up.
Just my thoughts anyway
Jisgone

Postby foxyaussie » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:49 am

I agree Jewles :D
In my opinion I found many of Steve's articles interesting, if not useful. It appears to me he has a pretty good idea of what he is talking about and he genuinely wants to help us. Just my thoughts though.
Take care everyone 8)
Heaviest Weight ever 82kg on 14/1/2009
81kg 15/2/2009
76.4kg 17/3/2009
76kg 23/3/09
75.5kg 30/3/09

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wVb86a0/]
[/url]

Remember it's what's inside that matters the most.
foxyaussie

Postby Shalimar » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:47 am

I have to agree with you as well Jewles. I find Steves posts interesting and always make time to have a read of them. What I do not find interesting is people peddling their wares here, especially when asked not to or when their links and signatures are continuously deleted by mods.

We may be fat but we sure as shyte aren't thick :lol: .

SW: 175.0 kgs.
CW: 62 kgs-Hit goal 12 September 2009.
Shalimar

Postby Jisgone » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:02 am

Haha yeh some people just insist on letting us know what product they are selling in every post.
I pm'd isafeelgreat about his advertising and he replied at 12.16pm saying he would stop, then at 12.46pm the same day you had to delete more spam from his post!
They dont seem to get that if someone cared about their miracle product or program they would pm them directly.
Jisgone

Postby thunderthighs » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:08 pm

I actually find Steve's info pretty interesting. I don't have a problem with the articles, and he posted something in a thread of mine yesterday that I found quite helpful.

I don't like it when people shamelessly plug their product, though. Glad to see the mods on here are on top of it so fast.
SW: 79.1
GW: 64 (top of healthy weight range)
Ultimate GW: 59.9

Doing it for me, this time.

thunderthighs

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk