It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:44 am

Free Newsletter

Just bragging a bit

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Just bragging a bit

Postby thunderthighs » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:58 pm

Just hit the 4.55pm slump at work. Really really really wanted chocolate. Instead, made myself a cup-a-soup. And I'm actually quite enjoying it.

Sorry to start a whole new topic, but I guess you have to realise what a lifestyle change that is for me. I'm just a bit proud of myself, and you guys are probably the only ones to realise what a big deal it is.

Thanks!

Joanna
SW: 79.1
GW: 64 (top of healthy weight range)
Ultimate GW: 59.9

Doing it for me, this time.

thunderthighs

Re: Just bragging a bit

Postby Juzzy » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:06 pm

Good work!!

I can totally understand where you are coming from there. I think we all have a time of day/night where we struggle the most. It can be really hard to break old habits too.

Well done!
SW: 127.8
CW: 106.8

GW : 80 (will reassess once i get there)

21 kilos lost!
Juzzy

Postby foxyaussie » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:44 pm

It's great you resisted the urge and had something a bit healthier and substantial. Your body will be thanking you big time!
Maybe when you are having an unhealthy snack attack in future try to think of the long term picture, including how great you will look, but more importantly feel inside and out.
Good luck Joanna!! :D
Jane.
Heaviest Weight ever 82kg on 14/1/2009
81kg 15/2/2009
76.4kg 17/3/2009
76kg 23/3/09
75.5kg 30/3/09

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wVb86a0/]
[/url]

Remember it's what's inside that matters the most.
foxyaussie

Postby Gordz » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:34 pm

Sounds great on the change of frame of mind joanne!!! Just don't look at whats actually in those 'cup a soups'.... you'll be devistated :(
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Start date: 12/8/2013
Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby stevo » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:22 pm

Hi Joanna,

Congratulations for resisting the chocolate urge!

However, if you are having 5 or 6 small meals a day you probably wouldn't feel the 'slump' or cravings for chocolate. There are also ways to ensure you don't feel the slump at all. Here are some possible causes of the slump and what to do about them:

- Low blood sugar levels. Have the 5 or 6 small meals a day. Ensure all 3 macronutrients are contained in the meal (fat and protein will help to slow down the absorption of the carbs helping you maintain a stable blood glucose level).
- Nutrient deficiencies. Take a multivitamin/ mineral supplement each day.
- Lack of sleep. Find ways to improve your sleeping habits, i.e. make the room darker, make sure you're not too hot when you're sleeping, sleep in a different roon if your partner snores.

I hope this helps Joanna so you can simply eat better and don't have to fight the chocolate urge. Plus, then you can enjoy the chocolate on your 'Treat day' without feeling guilty about it!

Cheers,

Steve.
Stephen is the part-owner of Body Concepts and Focus On magazine. Stephen has been involved in the health and fitness industry for over 18 years and has a science degree from UWA.
stevo

Postby thunderthighs » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:04 pm

Thanks for all your kinds words of congratulations, and also your advice.

Steve: You forgot the other reason for the slump:

Having a crappy day at work and realising you have tonnes to get through before you can go home, and having 30 odd years of the "chocolate will fix everything" mentality. It wasn't low blood sugar or anything, just a habit I have and a way I had of dealing with stress.

But you are so right - I can now enjoy my Friday night row of 80% cocoa dark chocolate with a glass of wine, and feel no guilt because it was a planned treat, not a crisis reaction.

And someone mentioned the contents of the cup-a-soup: I know, I try not to think about it lol. I usually try and have fruit, but I'd already eaten all the fruit I brought with me yesterday. Another lesson learned - I brought an extra piece today.

Thanks guys - the support on this forum is really great.

Joanna
SW: 79.1
GW: 64 (top of healthy weight range)
Ultimate GW: 59.9

Doing it for me, this time.

thunderthighs

Postby stevo » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:29 pm

LOL!

Great point Joanna. Sorry I missed that one. STRESS is a major issue.

I just thought of another one too: 'Classical Conditioning'- remember Pavlov and the dogs?

We are very easily conditioned creatures. I used to ask my students, 'When you get home from school, where is the first place you go?'

Inevitably they said the fridge or pantry. Then I would ask them, 'Was it because you were hungry or simply because you had done that exact pattern many time before and your brain had linked the two activities together?' Interesting.

For many people the 3pm chocolate fix is a 'conditioned response' too.

All the very best with your weight-loss Joanna.

Cheers,

Steve.
Stephen is the part-owner of Body Concepts and Focus On magazine. Stephen has been involved in the health and fitness industry for over 18 years and has a science degree from UWA.
stevo

Return to Weight loss Talk