It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:40 am

Free Newsletter

How is this even possible?!?!

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

How is this even possible?!?!

Postby fi_112 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:34 am

I am so gutted. I was so close to my goal of 69 kg and going so well.
Suddenly, this week, I am back up to 72kg!!
The worst part is, I've been eating really well and working out heaps. My excersise for the past three days has been:
Monday - body combat class & 100 cal cardio
Tuesday - 1 hour weights and body attack class
Wednesday - body step class & 100 cal cardio

How can i put on 2kg in ONE week when all I'm doing is being good?! It's so unfair, I'm so over this whole stupid thing
To wish you were someone else is to waste the person you are
fi_112

Re: How is this even possible?!?!

Postby fi_112 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:56 am

Although I should admit I have become somewhat addicted to weighing myself and am doing it every single day .. and I do think I look better, it's just so frustrating to see a gain on the scales
fi_112

Postby Czarina » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:29 pm

One word : fluid. I very much doubt you have put on 2kg of fat. I can easily 'put on' 2kg within two days, depending on my hormones and the amount of sodium in my diet. So, don't stress about it! It should leave as quickly as it arrived.
Czarina

Postby fi_112 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:11 pm

Thanks for ur advice. Do you think I should stick to weighing myself weekly, to avoid freak outs like this?
xx
fi_112

Postby Czarina » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:15 pm

For sure, weekly is a much better idea. Keep an eye on your sodium intake, eating plenty of foods rich in potassium (eg, bananas, avocados, etc) and drink plenty of water. That should keep the fluid in check! Working up a good sweat helps too. :D
Czarina

Postby CrimsonThunder » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:36 pm

Yeah, definitely don't check your weight every day. :P It fluctuates a lot every day. And depending on what time of the day/what you have just done.
- Stevo
CrimsonThunder

Postby fi_112 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:40 pm

Thanks guys. I work up a sweat almost daily so I know that's not the problem. What day do you guys weigh yourselves on then?
fi_112

Postby fi_112 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:32 am

please help guys.. I haven't dropped the "fluid" weight yet and it's been a whole week. According to calorie king, I should be eating about 1900 calories a day. I eat less than this and I am really active so how is it possible that Ive GAINED?? If it's not fluid, could it be muscle gain? I am at my wits end :(
fi_112

Postby SarahC » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:23 am

Is it TTOM? Don't know about you, but for me it can last for quite some time, like, up to a couple of weeks!

Also... you're not constipated? That can easily account for a couple of kilos! Food is heavy, it really is!
SarahC

Postby court » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:46 am

Hi Fi -
If you are cutting your calories too low - your body will start storing the food that you do eat as your body might not understand what is happening and go into starvation mode!
I am eating 1500 calories and my consultant (i am on jenny craig) wont let me eat any less as I do 4-5 gym sessions a week and play team sport as well. Make sure you are eating the correct amount of calories a day so your body doesnt freak out! Also, make sure thatyou are mixing up your exercise - your body can get used to a routine so mix it up and do something different to your usual routine. Hope this helps!
Also, your body will only lose as much as it can!
Court x
court

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:44 pm

Sarah is right. It could still be fluid. If it's been hot, if you've been eating salty food or if it's That Time of the Month you could retain fluid for over a week. Or it could be food still in your digestive tract. If you've been constipated at all that could account for some of the weight.

Court is right too. It's easy to think that cutting 'calories = weight loss' so 'cutting more calories = more weight loss', but doing so can actually harm your weight loss. If you're following Calorie King I'd recommend following it to the letter. If you are cutting too many calories AND doing excessive exercise your body is probably entering starvation mode. Try increasing your calories to Calorie King's recommendation. It may seem illogical, but you'll probably find you lose weight faster doing it that way. And it has an added bonus. As you lose weight your body needs fewer calories to maintain its weight, so you'll have to reduce calories anyway to ensure you keep losing weight. If you cut too many calories too soon in your weight loss journey you simply don't have any spare calories to reduce later on. Increasing your calories to the recommended level means you have room to adjust them later on.

As to whether you should weight each day or not I think it depends on the person. If you tend to retain fluid and you lose weight slowly I actually think it might be better to weigh each day provided you look only for patterns of weight loss or weight gain and don't freak out any time the scales fluctuate. My weight can easily fluctuate by over a kilo with fluid weight. I'm close to goal so I'm lucky if I lose 200g in a week. So if I were to weigh myself only once per week and it happened to coincide with a fluid retention day I could still think I'd gained 800g! Instead I weigh myself several times per week and just take the lowest weight as my 'real' weight that week. Then I just keep an eye on whether this 'real' weight goes up or down over the weeks. If weighing yourself once per week doesn't work for you then you might want to try this as an option.

Good luck!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby fi_112 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:33 pm

Thanks heaps for the advice guys. Still not sure what it could be... I haven't been constipated or anything but maybe my body is just at a happy weight? Anyway I will keep you all posted if I solve the mystery! thanks again xxxx
fi_112

Postby think - thin » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:21 am

Yeah I agree with what the other girls and guys have said...

I know at certain times of the month I can put on 3 kilos. Maybe you need to change your excerise patterns. I was told a while ago that your body can become used to the same excercise and you have to change it for it to brake threw.
JESSIKA

Start Weight (2.1.09) 89.6kg
29.3.09 - 84.4kg
18.4.09 - 87.3kg :(
Total Loss : 5.2kg
think - thin

Postby PetraW » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:05 am

Czarina wrote:One word : fluid. I very much doubt you have put on 2kg of fat. I can easily 'put on' 2kg within two days, depending on my hormones and the amount of sodium in my diet. So, don't stress about it! It should leave as quickly as it arrived.

Czarina,
may I ask you what you are doing to lose weight? I just looked at your weight loss ticker and noticed that you are very close to your goal weight and have lost about 35 kg already -that is SUPER IMPRESSIVE!!!!! What's your secret?
(BTW, does anybody know how to get rid of the BBC code that seems to display with the weight loss ticker?)
Petra's Weight Loss Blog
Beautiful Beach Home Decor
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3J8xVi/]
[/url]
PetraW

Postby Czarina » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:14 am

Petra, I am using the Calorie King Australia website. Basically what I'm doing is counting calories and exercising, so simple, but it works! Now that I'm further along, I also keep track of my fat, carbs, protein, fibre and sodium. CK is fantastic, it educates you on proper nutrition and focuses on being healthy, not just losing weight. It make take a bit longer than the shake diets and all that other rubbish, but it is a lot easier than I thought, and is much more realistic and sustainable in the long term. :D I couldn't believe I got to eat so much and still lose weight! Love it! :mrgreen:
Czarina

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk