It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:57 am

Free Newsletter

being realistic

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

being realistic

Postby accs » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:53 pm

hey there to anyone who may read this...

when i first started on this new weight loss journey... i was sure i needed to weigh 50kg. being only 1.5 metres in height- i thought that is what i should weigh...
I am now thinking that was unrealistic.
I have always wanted to be skinny... and i thought i would need to be 50kgs to be considered skinny and athletic...
I am now thinking that i should aim for 60kg as i have a more muscular build, and have always been abnormally strong for a girl.

To be truthful i have no idea where to set my bar. All my doc has ever said is get down to 90 and then we will re-asses. I am a long term goal person. I very regularly never meet any goals, and now that my fiancée (with very good reason) has postponed our wedding again, i am lacking motivation and scared of falling off the wagon... again...

I am considering other goals to aim for- be able to compete in a triathlon- or be a size 10.... which appeal to me more then what scales tell me.

what can i say, i need a fair kick up the bum...
anyone have any advice/thoughts???
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wyBT9U2/]
[/url]

start 05/03/09 99.6 size 18
now 98.4 size 18
ultimate (eventually) 50 something kg size 8-10 (want to be 60kg or under)
accs

Re: being realistic

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:58 pm

I think your doctor's right. Aiming for a 10% weight loss initially is a good way to have an achievable short-term goal, and at 10% you will be able to see a difference when you get there. By all means set a long-term goal of about 60kg, but an interim goal weight of 90kg sounds like a good idea. That way you can also set a time-line in which you can achieve this goal. Long term goals tend to fade a bit into the distance whereas short-term ones can be put on a schedule.

Good luck!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby kristal » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:55 pm

I find baby steps work for me (but I understand everyone is different). I aimed for a loss of 3kgs, worked hard, reached it, then tried for another 3kgs. If I just told myself I have 13 kgs to lose - it seems a bit too overwhelming and is too hard to stay motivated to stick to it. If you just tell yourself to do small amounts, they are more easily achievable.

So I agree with your doctors too. Small goals, reach them, reward yourself and keep trying.

I know how hard it is when you are short. I am only 5'2" myself (or a bit under, but that doesn't matter).
SW - 71 kg
CW - 65 kg
GW - 58 kg
Weight Loss so Far = 6kgs
Weight to go = 7kgs
kristal

Postby PetraW » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:55 am

Simply try to eat more healthy. If you feel like snacking, cut up an apple and snack that. I find that fruit tastes a lot better and goes longer when I cut it nicely and put it in a bowl and eat it with a fork.
Have a look at a low GI diet, my doctor has recommended it for me, and I am trying to slip into it right now. I have good and bad days, the good days getting more, and on those I lose weight quite easily without trying very hard at all.
Good luck!
Petra :D
Last edited by Jisgone on Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Links removed
PetraW

Return to Weight loss Talk