It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:46 pm

Free Newsletter

eating exercise calories

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

eating exercise calories

Postby fi_112 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:17 pm

Just a q.. calorie king is telling me to eat my exercise calories but I think that seems pointless... what do u guys think?
To wish you were someone else is to waste the person you are
fi_112

Re: eating exercise calories

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:07 pm

It's a contentious issue in the weight loss community.

One argument is that if you don't eat those calories you'll lose weight faster because your calorie deficit is greater. That is true PROVIDING your resulting net calories don't put you into starvation mode, which for most women is below 1200 calories per day though it can differ from person to person.

Personally I think you should eat the exercise calories. Calorie King works out your recommended calorie levels so that you have enough of a calorie deficit to lose weight even without exercise. This doesn't mean that exercise is pointless. There are benefits to exercise beyond the calories it burns at the time. Exercise builds muscle so your resting metabolism is faster even when you're not exercising. So even if you eat those exercise calories you'll still be burning more calories in the long run. Plus you'll be healthier and more toned so you won't be one of those skinny-yet-soft-and-flabby people. People who incorporate exercise into their routine are less likely to regain their weight as well.

As you lose weight you'll need to drop the number of calories you eat anyway. Your body needs fewer calories to maintain its current weight the lighter you are. So if you cut too many calories too soon you won't have any 'spare' calories to adjust as your weight drops.

My main concern with not eating exercise calories is the slippery slope it creates. People often eat fewer calories than CK recommends thinking it will help them lose weight quicker. Then they add exercise on top of it and refuse to eat back those calories. When their weight loss slows as a result of eating too few calories they then increase their exercise, or reduce their calories, thinking it will jump-start their weight loss. And soon they are over-exercising and consuming far too few calories to maintain a healthy body.

My advice? Try eating your recommended calories. See how you go after a couple of weeks. Weight loss is a very individual thing and can be a bit trial-and-error. The only thing you have to lose is time. You're going to lose the weight in the long run because you're a determined and strong person. If eating your exercise calories makes you gain weight then you can always switch back to your old way of doing things. Though I honestly think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the results.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby CrimsonThunder » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:14 pm

^Great peice of advice.

I honestly have never heard about eating your exercise calories.

I wouldn't do it either. I would just eat whatever I need then anything extra is a bonus. But when you come to the stage where you're not losing anything anymore, then I think you should eat more calories to jump start it again. (I guess thats how it works? Because exercising more and eating less doesnt do it?)
- Stevo
CrimsonThunder

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:29 pm

CrimsonThunder wrote:But when you come to the stage where you're not losing anything anymore, then I think you should eat more calories to jump start it again. (I guess thats how it works? Because exercising more and eating less doesnt do it?)

Sometimes. That's where weight loss is such a frustrating and individual quest. Plateaus happen for different reasons. Sometimes it's because people are eating too few calories, other times it's because their calorie intake has crept up without them realising. Sometimes it's because they're over-exercising, other times it's just because their body has got used to the exercise they're doing and has gotten more efficient at doing it.

I think an honest food and exercise diary is the best way to see what the problem is. If it's shown that you're eating too few calories (or exercising away too many) then the bravest thing to do is to eat more. It's a scary thing for people trying to lose weight, but in many instances it's the most effective solution.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby fi_112 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:16 pm

thanks heaps guys. I am not going to eat them back this week, and then maybe next week I'l try eating them back. A very unscientific experiment hehe :) keep u posted xx
To wish you were someone else is to waste the person you are
fi_112

Postby Karnak » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:42 pm

I use the exercise calories as a buffer. Some days after a tough exercise class I'm incredibly hungry so I'll use 150cal's from the exercise alotment to have an extra snack, other days I don't feel at all like food and have trouble getting my recomended calories down. Over the past few months I've tended to listen to my body a bit more and I think it makes sense. I don't expend the same amount of energy each day in the things I do so it makes sense for my bodies requirements to change. That said though I do all this within the protected buffer of my exercise calories and calorieking, to do it just off the cuff would probably kiss my weightloss goodbye.

Just my 2 cents worth XX Nikki
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wy5Nvxw/]
[/url]
Karnak

Return to Weight loss Talk