It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:47 pm

Free Newsletter

Fatty foods. =/

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Fatty foods. =/

Postby [email protected] » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:04 pm

Expert Opinions

Over the past twenty years, the Health Department and organisations including the National Health & Medical Council, the National Heart Foundation and the Diabetic Association in Australia have endorsed and promoted a "healthy diet" pyramid, which includes six to eight servings daily of cereals, grains, pasta and bread which, together with vegetables and fruit, make up a carbohydrate intake of 60%. The rest of the dietary intake is composed of Protein 20% and Fats and Oils 20% as poly/monounsaturated oils.

Yet in the last 20 years diabetes has increased by over 300% and obesity by 36%, with additional immeasurable escalation since 1947 of chronic illness conditions and killer diseases

References:
"Replacing carbohydrate with protein in the diet improves weight loss" Skov AR, et al. Randomized trial on protein vs carbohydrate in ad libitum fat reduced diet for the treatment of obesity. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord May 1999 23 (5) :528-36

"Replacement of some dietary carbohydrate by protein in an ad libitum fat-reduced diet, improves weight loss and increases the proportion of subjects achieving a clinically relevant weight loss."

High carbohydrate diets increase cardiovascular risk.
Roche HM. Dietary carbohydrates and triacylglycerol metabolism. Proc Nutr Soc Feb 1999 58 (1): 201-7

"Traditionally, a low-fat high-carbohydrate diet was used to prevent CHD because it effectively reduces plasma cholesterol concentrations. but this dietary regimen increases plasma TAG concentrations and reduces HDL-cholesterol concentrations. There is substantial epidemiological evidence which demonstrates that high plasma TAG and low plasma HDL concentrations are associated with an increased risk of CHD."

Low GI foods lowers glucose and insulin response.

Jarvi AE, et al. Improved glycemic control and lipid profile and normalized fibrinolytic activity on a low-o,lycemic index diet in type 2 diabetic patients. Diabetes Care Jan 1999 22 (1) :10-8

High carbohydrate eating increases the risk of heart disease.

Ghannem H; Hadj Fredj A. [Eating habits and cardiovascular risk factors. Epidemiologic study of the Tunisian Sahel] Habitudes alimentaires et facteurs de risque cardiovasculaire. Etude epidemiologique au Sahel Tunisien. Presse Med May 22-29 19" 28 (19) :1005-8
[email protected]

Postby [email protected] » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:14 pm

More Opinions

Twenty-nine overweight men and women (body mass >25) participated in this six-week outpatient study. The participants were randomized to either a 1500 calorie 40/30/30 diet [40% CHO] (n=14) or a 1500 calorie Step 1 diet [60% CHO] (n=15).

The 40/30/30 diet consisted of 40% CHO, 30% protein, 30% fat, the Step 1 diet consisted of 60% CHO, 15% protein, and 25% fat.

All subjects participated in Universal Circuit Training TM, one hour, three times per week supervised by an exercise physiologist.

All subjects met two to four times (avg.=3) over six weeks with a registered dietitian for review and analysis of compliance to the study diets.

Both groups lost a significant amount of weight (p<0.05) after 6 weeks of treatment (40% CHO, -2.8kg; 60% CHO, -1.2kg).

However, the 40% CHO group lost more weight and a greater amount of body fat (-2.6kg; p<0.05), while the 60% CHO (-1.0kg) group did not achieve significant fat loss.

There were no significant changes for both groups in serum glucose, HgBA1C, total cholesterol, HDL, LDL, or triglycerides during the study.

Profile of Mood States (POMS) for fatigue and vigor was also analyzed in both study groups with the following results: 44% reduction in fatigue (p<0.05) for the 40% CHO group with a corresponding 15.7% increase in vigor (non-significant; p>0.05). The changes within the 60% CHO group did not achieve significance in either fatigue or vigor.

In conclusion, the 1500 calorie 40/30/30 diet resulted in a significantly greater fat and weight loss compared with the 1500 calorie Step 1 diet over 6 weeks.

This is a very compelling argument against the common nutritional mantra that "a calorie is a calorie." Both diets tested were isocaloric, differing only in the macronutrient composition.

The protein-to-carbohydrate ratio in the ?? Diet was 0.75, whereas in the American Heart Association Diet the protein-to-carbohydrate ratio was 0.25.

The fact that exercise was part of the study also eliminated that factor in analyzing the data on weight loss and reduction of body fat.

The fat loss in the participants following the ?? Diet was 260 percent greater than those following the American Heart Association Step 1 diet.

This difference is even more impressive since participants following the ?? Diet consumed 200 percent more fat than the participants on the Step 1 diet.

Furthermore, the fat loss in the ?? Diet was statistically significant (meaning it was reproducible) whereas the in the Step 1 group it was not. In terms of subjective measurents of fatigue reduction and increased vigor, the ?? Diet was again superior to the Step 1 diet. The lack of effect of the ?? Diet on triglyceride levels was probably due to inadequate levels of Omega-3 fatty acids in the diet. Unfortunately, fasting insulin levels were not analyzed in this study (as with other ?? studies) to correlate insulin reduction with loss of body fat.
[email protected]

Postby SarahC » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:02 pm

[email protected] wrote:Kristal,

Bananas are not good for loosing weight.

If you are trying to loose weight stay clear of bananas, especially ripe ones which have a high free sugar content and high glycemic load. If they are unripe then they have a higher starch content. Bananas do contain some fiber, vitamins, and minerals, there are other fruits that have much more going for them nutritionally and are also lower in sugar.

[/i]

Bananas are great as a post workout snack as they give you the quick hit of sugar that your body needs right after a workout. Have that with a good quality protein shake, and I reckon you'd be doing quite well for yourself :D
SarahC

Postby Karnak » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:41 pm

I would like to also point out that during the Banana shortage of 2006, Australian's didn't become skinnier...
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wy5Nvxw/]
[/url]
Karnak

Postby court » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:19 pm

hahaha nice one Karnak! I must admit I do like a banana or two a week :) Love them blended with some skim milk and cinnamon after a workout! Yummmmm
court

Postby Jisgone » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:41 pm

haha! the great australian banana drought diet didnt work for me :(
Jisgone

Postby Shalimar » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:44 am

court wrote:hahaha nice one Karnak! I must admit I do like a banana or two a week :) Love them blended with some skim milk and cinnamon after a workout! Yummmmm

That's how I have my smoothies but I also add low fat yoghurt.

SW: 175.0 kgs.
CW: 62 kgs-Hit goal 12 September 2009.
Shalimar

Postby Jisgone » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:05 pm

Now i know your lying Shalimar! Eating bananas stops you losing weight, you cant possibly have lost the massive ammount of weight you have while eating bananas :P you lying cow!
haha
Jisgone

Postby CrimsonThunder » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:56 am

.................... LOCK!~ :P
- Stevo
CrimsonThunder

Postby Jisgone » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:28 am

unlock!

I dont get it? were discussing not arguing :) dont make the forum boring!
Jisgone

Postby court » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:39 pm

haha - i didnt even know you could lock forum topics!!!!! How funny......
I have a banana today for afternoon tea :)
court

Postby Amethyst » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:29 pm

I have banana's almost every day and I'm losing quite well
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wx5Tquf/]
[/url]
Amethyst

Postby CrimsonThunder » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:37 pm

Jewles wrote:3.......

unlock!

I dont get it? were discussing not arguing :) dont make the forum boring!

-_-

But the "discussion" was going nowhere, just with petty insults from you. So its going to stay locked.
- Stevo
CrimsonThunder

Postby Carley » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:43 am

Amethyst wrote:I have banana's almost every day and I'm losing quite well

Me too, they are very good for you and full of good fats.
Goal for 2016:
Current weight: 94 kilos
Starting weight: 102.5 kilos
Goal #1: 92 kilos
Carley

PreviousNext

Return to Weight loss Talk