It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:35 pm

Free Newsletter

new and struggling with weight loss

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

new and struggling with weight loss

Postby criddy111 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:32 pm

Hey im new here. I'm a 17 year old girl, my mother cooks my dinner so i have no control over that, i'm in year 12 and aiming for at least 90% in my HSC so i'm always studying and not exercising, i don't have my driver's liscence so i can't go to the gym and i can't stick to anything for more than a few weeks. I really need to loose at least 5kg, does anyone know of a diet i could try?
criddy111

Re: new and struggling with weight loss

Postby Etch » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:54 pm

If you only need to loose 5kg then you dont NEED to loose anything really. And if your that close to your correct weight range it will take more then a few weeks to loose it.

And talk to your mom and let her know you want to loose some weight and ask her if she can help by cooking healthier at dinner. And not having a car is a good thing means you have to walk everywhere, which is great. WALK WALK WALK!!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wsmzwGz/]
[/url]

For want of a nail, the horse was not shoed.
For want of a horse, the message was not delivered.
Because the message was not delivered, the war was lost.
Etch

Postby CrimsonThunder » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:28 pm

Yeah, I wish I didnt have a car. :P

You're lucky if you only need to lose 5 kg!

All you'll need to do is eat healthier, I'm sure you're mum will do that. And walk around. Its a pinch. :)
- Stevo
CrimsonThunder

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:10 pm

If you haven't been dieting already then you'll probably be able to lose those kilos just by eliminating some unhealthy food from your diet. If you haven't done so already switch to low fat dairy. Cut out added sugar. If you drink sugary soft drinks get rid of them or switch to low-cal varieties.

You say your mum cooks your dinner, but can you choose what goes on your plate? If there are steamed veggies or salads available make sure half of your plate is filled with them, and only a quarter of the plate for protein and a quarter for carbs. Leave off oily dressings or buttery sauces. If you're having battered fish or fried chicken peel the batter or skin off and throw it away.

Do you snack between meals? If so you might want to try snacking on fruit or chopped veggies.

I understand being too busy studying to exercise. Do you walk to and from school or to public transport? If so then perhaps you could increase your pace a little (depending on how heavy your school bag is of course).

Good luck. And don't worry too much about the 5kg you think you need to lose at this point. Your education is far more important in the long term than those 5kg. And I'll guarantee you'll look back at your photos in ten years time and be baffled at why you thought you needed to lose weight in the first place. Trust me on this. Every girl I knew in high school who thought they needed to lose 5kg was usually at the perfect weight already. Have you calculated your BMI to tell if you really do need to lose weight? The pressure on young women to be thin is incredible so you may be striving for something that is both unattainable and unhealthy.

Good luck with your studies!

cheers,
Ali
EvilWombatQueen

Postby kristal » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:23 am

Everything that Ali has said I agree with.

Just get your mum on board in your crusade to lose a few kgs - ask her to support you and start cooking some healthy meals for night time, maybe try stop the eating past 7.30pm at night as it is harder to work off if you are just going to bed at night.

I wouldn't have been able to lose weight at all if it weren't for my husband completely changing his eating habits and supporting me in my choices in what I cook for dinner, so I definately think asking for your family's support is the best way to go.

I agree though, your studies are probably a bit more important at this stage so wouldn't worry too much about it but just adopt a healthy attitude first and foremost.
SW - 71 kg
CW - 65 kg
GW - 58 kg
Weight Loss so Far = 6kgs
Weight to go = 7kgs
kristal

Postby stevo » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:08 pm

Hi,

I have just posted a sample diet that I have used with great success for both myself and my clients over the years. Perhaps consider giving it a go. 5 kilos should be easy to get off.

Cheers,

Steve.
Stephen is the part-owner of Body Concepts and Focus On magazine. Stephen has been involved in the health and fitness industry for over 18 years and has a science degree from UWA.
stevo

Return to Weight loss Talk