It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:38 pm

Free Newsletter

stooooopid scales

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

stooooopid scales

Postby clare » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:37 am

okay so I started at what I thought was a dismal weight to start with only to find that my scales are out of wack compared to the rest of the world, (maybe they got rusty after weighting (sorry couldn't help it) for me for all these years in the bathroom). So not only am I in need of some new scales I am actually heavier than I thought, and not just a wee bit heavier, but a substancial, whopping great big 5 kilos. So after a week of not loosing any weight I also have to contend with the fact that I now have to loose an extra 10 tubs of marg! To top it off I went clothes shopping this week only to find that the usual size 18 jeans I wear at one shop are a size 24 at another shop. I was utterly heart broken. (yes i did rip the tag out when I got home and still feel like writing the manufacturers a nice little letter.... HOW RUDE!!

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I am off to a bad week. Heres hoping tomorrow is brighter.

clare
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
clare

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:21 pm

Bugger about the scales. They do say you should replace them every so often, but if you're after a set amount to lose, it shouldn't matter which set you chose as all scales are slightly differernt anyway.
Pity about the clothes. I am always amazed by the discrepancies in sizes.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby CrimsonThunder » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:56 pm

Hey claire, you can buy some new scales on ebay pretty cheaply. :)

Good luck!
- Stevo
CrimsonThunder

Postby mandymoo » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:26 pm

I HATE MY SCALES!!!! But at the same time I am utterly obsessed with them! :twisted:

So I have started to measure myself weekly and that helps a fair bit to see how much I have physically changed week to week!

You should give it a go!
mandymoo

Postby KimE » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:31 pm

Well done Mandy. I just finished suggesting that very thing under the daily food diary post you did. I feel it gives a better overview than any other way. I will admit to jumping on them on other days but my Friday morning weigh in is the one that counts.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby mandymoo » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:36 pm

Well as I just said in my Food Diary post, my partner has hidden the scaled from me today! I got home from work and they are GONE! He has said it is for my own good but I am so obsessed by them! I jump on them AT LEAST twice a day!

He says he is tired of seeing me being upset at myself and that I should stick to the tape measure but I just feel like I need that instant gratification of that little (or big) number on the scales.

Well done to you Kim E for staying strong against temptation! i admire you! You are doing so well! :D
mandymoo

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:54 pm

I weigh in once per week. I know too much about statistics to think that daily changes on a set of scales will give any kind of accurrate picture of weight loss. There are too many variables such that even your once per week weigh in should be viewed in relation to the general trend of the previous weeks.

And then there;s the question of what do you want to track a loss of? pure weight, in which case your pure weight will fluctuate accoring to how recently you went to the loo and how much fluid you've drunk that day in which case you're probably celebrating/mouring bodily waste in you 1/2 daily weigh ins. FAT loss, however will not be measurable in increments of 1/2 a day. This is actually part of the statistics question (i.e extraneous variable) but many people get caught up on losing "weight" without realising that it's not weight you want to lose but fat.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Groovychic » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:49 pm

Measuring is definitely the best thing to do. Then you can see that the muscle has worked away some of the fat but having lost cms. Muscle weighs much more than fat. Plus if you way yourself everyday, then things can change, such as what time of day it is, how much fluid you have drunk before you weigh, what you are wearing, yes most people do it in the nud before having a shower or something but what if one day you had a poop before weighing and then the next you didn't????? Those craps can weigh a fair bit. Sorry for being crude but hey it's the truth!!!! And you are all having a little laugh to yourself and thinking o yeah she is right!!!! I could get really rude here but I am controlling myself!!!! So I am just gonna shut up right now!!! :lol:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSt8KHJ/]
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby KimE » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:40 pm

:lol: :lol:

Hi Rochelle, great to have you back.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs