It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:43 pm

Free Newsletter

Needing your advice

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Needing your advice

Postby think - thin » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:31 pm

I think I have a problem :oops: I love food way to much :? :oops: :cry: :evil:

I have tried everything, weight watchers, CK, Tony Furgerson and just eating healthy. But I cant stick to anything, and its driving me insane. I want nothing more in this world other to lose weight and I just seem not to be able to do it !!!!

At the beginning of the year, I was doing really well. I made a food diary and lost 5 kilos. Now I have put it back on and I cant seem to get enough of food. Healthy or bad !!!! I cant get my mind set to do excerise either.

Whats wrong with me???? I am seriously obsessive when it comes to loosing weight. Its ALL I THINK ABOUT, but it isnt enough to push me.

My best friend is getting married in a few months on the beach, and I thought that would be enough, also I am 30 next feb and I really dont want to spend my 30's hating my body and having no self confidence like I have the rest of my life.

Please, Please dont tell me I am not ready because like I said its all I want. Why is it all so hard to follow a simple diet?

Has anyone else had this problem before you started and kept on track ?
JESSIKA

Start Weight (2.1.09) 89.6kg
29.3.09 - 84.4kg
18.4.09 - 87.3kg :(
Total Loss : 5.2kg
think - thin

Re: Needing your advice

Postby MissSonia » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:29 pm

Take a picture of yourself in your underwear and stick it to your fridge, pantry and keep a copy in your wallet. Once you're continually faced with the reason why you need to stick to your lifestyle change, it can make it easier to stick to. If you have a friend or relative who also wants to lose weight, you could buddy up with them. Sometimes that can make you feel more responsible and stick to it as you don't want to let the other person down, along with yourself. Good Luck.
MissSonia

Postby downsicingsandy » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:43 pm

I was very much this way for an awful long time, and have only started my diet 2 days ago.

I am not saying this is tried and true, but it certainly worked for me.

I googled obesity online and looked at all the associated risks and health problems it can cause, I wrote them down in a list, and then in another list right next to it, I wrote down all the things that I wanted to do in life, and all the things that being overweight makes difficult. There was a stage when I was afraid to fly because I was worried I would not fit into a plane seat - I boarded and the seat belt fit - just, but it did, and I gave myself a near panic attack over it.

So after I wrote down the lists, put them into priority and highlighted what being overweight was stopping me from doing. Even something as simple as painting my toe nails, and tieing a shoelace, such everyday things that my weight makes hard.

Before I did this I was always accepting of the fact that I was just a BBW. When I saw it all written down on paper, and everything I was missing out on, and the pain I could potentially put my husband through, I have stopped thinking about this change as a diet, but as baby steps and stepping stones to my goal, which is simply a happy and healthy life.

Usually after the first day, I would be craving sugar and carb's or just want to eat potato, but even the thought of food that is not on my plan, makes my stomach turn.

Like I said, I can't guarantee it will work for anyone else, but it has put my life into perspective.

I have always been told "If you want something bad enough, you find a way of making it happen." This is soooooo true.

I wish you the best of luck, and hope you find that little something to help you through.

Cheers
Sandy
downsicingsandy

Postby think - thin » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:14 am

Thanks for your advice. I have woken up in a much more positive mood. I am eating salads today. Not sure what to do about breakfast though. We dont really have anything healthy enough, and I am waiting for DH to get home from work so we can go do the shopping.
JESSIKA

Start Weight (2.1.09) 89.6kg
29.3.09 - 84.4kg
18.4.09 - 87.3kg :(
Total Loss : 5.2kg
think - thin

Postby alison » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:42 pm

Hi Jessika :) (hugs)

I think that everyone who has ever battled with losing weight has felt a level of helplessness at times.

We all KNOW how to lose weight - more energy out than in - but it is an emotional issue and a psychological one too. Is food a comfort? Is it the rush of happy chemicals from a sugar fix? Is it a way to rebelliously enjoy yourself when the 'grownup responsibilities' aren't around? Everyone has their own conscious or unconscious reasons for overeating.

Plus food is so nice! It is designed to be lol And it is a basic instinctive urge to eat foods which contain sugar and fat because they are the ones that keep us going for longer. When we were hunter gatherers who had to work our butts off for every morsel, having sugar and fat wasn't a problem - it was fantastic. But now, insanely high concentrations of sugar and fat are available for the picking everytime we walk down the street. And our bodies are still attracted to the taste - even though we don't have to eat that Mars Bar to survive.

Googling is great for finding info that can help you understand why you feel a certain way about food. I really believe that knowing the WHY helps you to understand your own triggers and helps you to re-educate your body/mind into healthier habits. I sure hope it works for me anyway! :wink:
alison

Postby milkyway » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:57 pm

Hi think-thin - I don't think there's anything wrong with you. I think you're putting way too much pressure on yourself, hun. Be kind to yourself :)

I reckon the key to weightloss success is to set yourself small achievable goals (as opposed to making sweeping lifestyle changes all at once) and planning your meals and exercise.

Rather than trying to change every thing about your diet and lifestyle in a single week, set yourself one or two goals to achieve this week - it might be going for a walk with DH every evening or at lunchtime (rather than setting both as a goal as you mentioned in your progress thread). that way you'll have a greater chance of feeling like a success at the end of the week than feeling like a failure - and guess which one is more motivating??? :D

Give yourself a few achievable tasks this week and then add another one or two the following week etc. Like drinking 2l of water every day, or something like that, having a piece of fruit every day.

Plan your meals in advance and exercise times. I do a big cook up on the weekend and take my lunch in to work every day. I make my own museli slice to have as a snack and I shop to make sure I have everything I need. I find that really helps keep me on track during the week. I hate buying my lunch now - it's never as delicious as what I can cook and I save heaps of money too :P

If I'm planning to go for a run in the morning, I lay out all my clothes in the morning, so I don't waste time. I also have my work clothes prepared the night before so I don't waste time deciding what to wear, ironing if necessary in the morning. This means I get an extra bit of 'snooze' time in the morning which I love.

Really focus on why you want to lose weight. Mine is because I want to run a marathon, and that is more important to me than a short term hit of sugar from a chockie bar and gets me moving, too. Capture that reason and carry it with you every where, every day and bring it out whenever you feel like you're going to jeopordise your weightloss.

Best of luck :)
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby kristal » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:27 pm

I think it is very achievable for you to stick to a diet as long as you don't deprive yourself either. I'm not saying eat treats often when it takes your fancy, I am just saying to try and stick to healthy eating and exercise for as long as you can as much as you can, but then if you have a day or two where you slightly fall off the bandwagon, don't beat yourself up about it, but don't stay off that bandwagon for too long. It's all about moderation.

Maybe as motivation think of an event or a weekend that is going to be held in the coming months and how you would like to dress and feel for that. How you would like to see your friends and family see you at that event. The thing that keeps me going and staying strong is knowing that I have an engagement party and what I want to wear for it, so I try really hard to look good for it, then when that is over, I think of another upcoming event and work really hard towards that.

I also just recently looked at old photos of myself and couldn't believe my eyes - just my face was that much chubbier! It was perfect motivation to continue on thinking I never wanted to look like that again.

I agree with some of the others though, you are beating yourself up too much about it - putting too much pressure on yourself. It's all about baby steps and reaching one goal at a time. Even if you set out to lose only 2kgs to begin with - that is an achievable goal. Then set out to lose another 2kg.

Another thing I did: bought a pair of pants in a size too small and set out to fit into them. Perfect motivation.
SW - 71 kg
CW - 65 kg
GW - 58 kg
Weight Loss so Far = 6kgs
Weight to go = 7kgs
kristal

Return to Weight loss Talk