It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:48 pm

Free Newsletter

Loose Skin after Weight Loss - what's the story?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Loose Skin after Weight Loss - what's the story?

Postby alison » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:15 pm

Hey all,

I am hoping you guys can share some info about this topic. I know that fast weight loss is said to result in loose skin, but people who have lost very large amounts slowly have also spoken about how they ended up with loose skin.

What is the cut off point (in terms of weight lost) that loose skin starts to be a problem? 10kg lost? 30kg? I need to lose about 20kg or so - will I be at risk of having loose skin after a 20kg weight loss?

Is there anything you can do - drinking water, using moisturizers, building muscle mass etc that can reduce the risk of loose skin?

Thanks in advance! :-)
alison

Re: Loose Skin after Weight Loss - what's the story?

Postby Alexandra » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:32 pm

Hmm, I don't think I'm qualified to answer this question but sometimes I can't help myself :oops:

This seems to be a burning issue for many people which I can't understand. If you weighed 200+ kilos or more, perhaps I could understand your question a little more but I truly find this question puzzling. I guess we all have different reasons for wanting to lose weight and appearance is important and I agree - that is important to me too. But, more importantly to me, is the health benefits. But that aside, back to your question.

I don't think there is anything you can do against "saggy" skin. I don't think I have any but then again, I haven't checked carefully. I have been as heavy has 127kg and now I weigh a bit over 95 kgs - I think I still look the same - no skin anywhere. I'm fairly sure nothing in a bottle can do anything for skin (or saggy skin) other than sunscreen. I'm sure water helps for skin health overall but not against 'sagging' I shouldn't think.

My only understanding about this issue is that sagging skin has to do with the elasticity in your skin which decreases with age and/or hormonal levels and not much else but I'm not a doctor I have absolutely no qualifications whatsoever to answer this question - just an opinion.

For me, losing the weight and being healthy is a much better option that remaining overweight and obese, saggy skin or not. Given you haven't got that much weight to lose, I don't think you'll have a problem if that was want you were wondering.

Hope I've helped :D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w4nfAl9/]

HW: 127 kg
CW: 93.7 kg
GW: 68 kg
LW: 73 kg
Alexandra

Postby Shalimar » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:06 pm

I've lost 96 kilos over a 16 month period and I have a little bit of loose skin up the top of my thighs and that's it and it's not bad enough to stop me wearing shorts if I ever get that brave.
I personally think genetics has more to do with it than anything else.

SW: 175.0 kgs.
CW: 62 kgs-Hit goal 12 September 2009.
Shalimar

Postby alison » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:52 pm

Thanks for the info!
alison

Postby kristal » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:03 pm

Shalimar wrote:I personally think genetics has more to do with it than anything else.

I agree, I think everybody is different. I don't know if you watch The Biggest Loser but some contestants (like Sharif) have quite a lot of saggy skin, whereas other contestants (such as Sean) have none. I think every persons make up is different, but I wouldn't let it be a factor in losing weight - I would rather have a bit of saggy skin than to remain as unhealthy as I was.
SW - 71 kg
CW - 65 kg
GW - 58 kg
Weight Loss so Far = 6kgs
Weight to go = 7kgs
kristal

Return to Weight loss Talk