It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:43 am

Free Newsletter

No carbs after 5pm - I cant do this forever!

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

No carbs after 5pm - I cant do this forever!

Postby roosterswife » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:36 pm

After having my second child and weaning him, I found the weight just lumping on so started a diet and exercise regime.

I exercised a minimum of 30 mins per day, counted caloies and fat and had no carbs after 5pm.

After achieving my goal weight, I still (try!) to do my exercise every day,I still eat quite healthy (maybe portion sizes a bit too big!) but I do allow myself some treats every few days.

However, my evening meals now include carbs be it pasta, brown rice or potatoes and I have now put on 5kgs (10lb).

The only thing I can think is that the carbs in the evening are doing me in - however how can I reasonalby expect to cut out carbs after 5pm for the rest of my life!?! No more spag bog, no more wraps, no mashed potatoe, no stirfry with rice etc.

Also, from looking at previous measurments from when I was 5kg lighter, I cant actually see where its gone either? My waist measurement is 3cm (just over 1 inch) bigger but all the other measurements are the same. The spare tyre fat around my belly button does feel bigger but only measures 1m bigger.

I realise that I could cut out my snacks reduce my meal size and eliminate carbs after 5pm but I dont really think this is something that I could do forever. Its just not realistic.

Does anyone have any ideas?
roosterswife

Re: No carbs after 5pm - I cant do this forever!

Postby Kellicopter » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:15 pm

hehe i think you said it! portion sizes? snacks?! ;)

i eat carbs after 5 but i keep them minimal, if i have a pasta ill have heaps of veggies and only about a cup of pasta. or ill have a carby lunch and low carb dinner.

one thing though, i always thought that once i lost weight i'd be able to eat how i wanted, that isnt the case unfortunately. i realised i'd have to eat properly for the rest of my life. it was really sad at first but once i accepted it it was ok ;) :) and it's not that big of a loss really. i enjoy the food i eat :)

good luck
5 kg's to goooooooo. The hard 5 ;)
Kellicopter

Postby Karnak » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:26 pm

Just to give you another way of thinking how about things.....

5kilos = approx 37,500 calories - lets say you either wanted to put that on or take that off over the course of a year ?. To do that you would need to either add or subtract 721 calories from your weekly intake.

721 calories over a week is not much - it's 100 calories a day - heck its a burger or a couple of softdrinks ! So perhaps
* Switch to healthier snacks ?.
* 2 hours of walking a week ?.
* Reduce portion size marginally
* Have a "healthy day" each week.

I just think that your issue is more maintainance than anything, so rather than enforce a lifetime of restriction a little tweaking might suit you better.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wy5Nvxw/]
[/url]
Karnak

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:35 pm

Maybe it's more a question of portion sizes, as Kellicopter suggested. Check your portion sizing here. Another way to control portions is to divide your plate up. Fill half of your dinner place with veggies or salad, one quarter with starchy carbs and the remaining quarter with lean protein.

Another thing to consider is the type of carbs you are eating. Potatoes are quite high GI so they don't leave you feeling full for long. If you don't want to give up potatoes then consider switching to new potatoes which are lower in GI. Or you can allow the potatoes to cool after cooking. This lowers their GI, even if you re-heat them again. Pasta is quite low GI, and can be made lower in the same way as potatoes by cooling after cooking. Buckwheat, pearl barley, sweet potato and yam are all quite low GI. Add more protein to your recipes to further lower the overall GI. Wholegrains tend to be lower in GI because the protective husk slows digestion.

You can find a list of low GI foods here.

You say that you try to exercise every day. If your exercise has dramatically decreased yet you are eating the same amount that could explain your weight gain. Also consider whether you've changed from high impact exercise to low impact exercise. If so you could be stimulating your appetite more because high impact exercise tends to suppress appetite for a while after exercise whereas low impact exercise like walking tends to make you hungrier. If you have dropped muscle building activity this could slow your metabolism so you might want to add some resistance work.

You also say you allow yourself a treat every few days. No problem with that, but are your treats slowly increasing without your realising? You might want to keep a food and exercise diary to see where the damage is being done. I think you should be able to include carbs in your evening meal, but you may have to restructure the rest of your exercise and diet to keep the weight off.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby downsicingsandy » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:45 pm

I am on a low carb eating plan at the moment and have found some FANTASTIC ways to subsitute your potatoes and rice.

My fave thing is NOtatoes.

Cauliflower, cream cheese, garlic and salt and pepper all blended into a puree

and Caulirice
Shredded cauli, steamed with your choice of herbs and spices, steamed and fluffed up!!!

Both are so delicious and you dont't feel like you are missing out - OH and I find them more filling

I plan on eating this way for the rest of my life
downsicingsandy

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:00 am

I wish I could use those substitutes myself, Sandy. They sound great. Unfortunately my partner is not a huge fan of cauliflower so it prevents me from being so creative... unless I feel like cooking two separate dinners. :lol:
EvilWombatQueen

Postby downsicingsandy » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:06 am

:D LOL
My poor husband has not choice LOL

He works two weeks away, and home for one week, so he is allowed his REAL carbs when at work :)

The NOtatoes is SOOOO good. I prefer it over the real thing
downsicingsandy

Postby roosterswife » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:14 pm

Thanks for replies everyone.

After doing a mental tally - yes, my snacks have increased in size and frequency and my meal sizes have increased.

My problem is I just love to eat! I love everything!

Thanks for help.
roosterswife

Postby mashoor1834 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:32 am

try to lower your portions and eat less snacks and mix up your exercises that should get you thin again.
mashoor1834

Return to Weight loss Talk