Weight loss, from a simpler perspective, is the reduction of the total weight of the body, usually involving the decrease of fluid, body fats and other bone mineral deposits in the human body. Weight loss can occur accidentally or inadvertently mainly due to a disorder or an illness in the body. For example type 1 diabetes mellitus if not managed properly, in most cases can lead to activities in the body that lead to the loss of both fat and lean mass, consequently resulting to a significant reduction in total body weight. Other factors such as lack of fluid intake, HIV, use of certain medications and even fidgeting can trigger fluid loss resulting in the significant loss of body weight.
Intentional weight loss refers to the reduction of total mass of the body in an attempt to enhance physical fitness, wellbeing, and/or general appearance. Some people use certain dieting tips to achieve this or use other artificial methods. People shed body weight for a variety of other reasons ranging from the desire to decrease the likelihood of developing diseases, the aspiration to meet certain standard for participation in a sport or even just for the sake of appearing physically athletic or attractive.
People subscribe to weight loss techniques because of a number of health, physical, psychological and social problems emanating from being obese itself. It is believed that overweight people are subjected to the following troubles:
- Diseases ranging from cardiovascular diseases, skeletal disorders, high blood pressure, diabetes, infertility and pregnancy problems, physical discomforts and a host of other health problems.
- Psychological problems manifesting in form of general unhappiness, stress, low self esteem and a sense of insecurity.
- Overweight people are considered to be liable to surgical complications.
- Obese people may lack the energy or desire to socialize as a result of real or perceived prejudice in the community against them. Some employers often equate overweight with laziness, ill-health and unattractiveness.
- Evidence shows that obese persons face a higher risk of harm due to limitations in movement that makes them less able to avoid accidents.
- In many cases, extra insurance premiums are payable by overweight persons for various insurance coverages.
The good news however is that there are real weight loss products that have been proven to work, and it is just a matter of getting the right information or being guided properly and you would be on your way to shedding that excess and unwanted mass of body tissue.