It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:01 pm

Free Newsletter

Kick start motivation

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Kick start motivation

Postby KT » Mon May 04, 2009 6:55 pm

I introduced myself a while ago and come back intermediately and read some posts, just got a question for everyone.

What is your motivation? How do you keep motivated?

I lost 25 kilos (about 2 kilos from my original goal but 7 from my re-evaluated goal), I got married and went on my honeymoon and put on 5 kilos from over indulging and not exercising. Now I just can't seem to find the motivation to get back to healthy eating and exercise to at least get back to where I was or maybe even lose some more.

Any ideas how to kick start my motivation again?
KT

Re: Kick start motivation

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu May 07, 2009 12:18 am

I keep my motivation up by picturing myself at my goal weight. Rather than looking at it as a long term goal, I think of it as being a whole lot of short term achievements. If I don't eat that packet of chips I'm going to have a smoking hot size 10 bikini body. If I avoid putting the chocolate in my shopping trolley my reward will be to look like Miranda Kerr. (I know I'm half her height, not as pretty and twice as old but it who says motivation has to be logical!) Back before I injured myself when I was running and finding that last ten minutes hard going I'd just visualise how thin I'd be when I finished. I'd con myself into thinking that rather than looking hot in six months of dieting, once I made that decision I'd be magically and instantly thin. Humans prefer short term gratification over long term goal setting so if you can convince yourself that giving up one chocolate bar will make you lose all the weight it makes it much easier to give up that one chocolate bar! Then you just repeat the same method for the next chocolate bar, and the next, and so on.

I find mind programming and visualisation helps with this. I have Paul McKenna's 'I can make you thin' and Jon Gabriel's 'The Gabriel Method'. If your local library stocks either of those books I highly recommend checking them out.

Good luck!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Amethyst » Wed May 13, 2009 2:31 pm

Wow EWQ That might be the kind of motivation I need. Instant imaging.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wx5Tquf/]
[/url]
Amethyst

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed May 13, 2009 2:56 pm

No worries! Another thing that helps me is the knowledge that I don't have to be 100% motivated all the time. Weight loss is a long journey, and weight management will take a lifetime. It's okay if your motivation wanes now and again. It's perfectly natural not to be fired up all the time. If you're truly in the doldrums and have no motivation whatsoever just accept that it's natural and that it will pass. Do what you can to remind yourself why losing weight is a great thing, but don't punish yourself over not being 100% driven 100% of the time. :D

Sometimes, though, it's a question of 'fake it till you make it'. You might not want to go for a walk after dinner, but if you make yourself do it then after a few days it starts becoming a routine. And after a month or so it becomes a habit. Then you'll find you look forward to your walk after dinner and you feel yuck if you don't go. And rather than feel miserable while you force yourself to do these things tell yourself that you really do love it. Plaster a smile on your face and do your best to feel it. If you don't feel like doing exercise, don't think that you have 0% motivation. Look on it as having 49% motivation. And the times you're really motivated? That's not 100% motivation - hell only olympic athletes have that - think of your most motivated times as being at 51%. Suddenly becoming motivated isn't such a daunting task. It's a matter of shifting your attitude only by 2 percentage points, and that's not much!

So I guess my advice would be:
1. Don't beat yourself up over a lack of motivation
2. Use visualisation as instant gratification to trick your mind into wanting to do something
3. Consider that it's only a matter of shifting your attitude from 49% to 51% to become motivated and excited about something.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby court » Wed May 13, 2009 3:29 pm

You're good EWQ - you have my vote! Can we bookmark posts on this site? :lol:
I make myself feel soooooo guilty when i am not motivated..it is pointless! Just a double whammy of making myself feel like crap!

My motivationssss are summer, the beach, having kids one day and giving them the best start, health, fitness, the list goes on - i can talk myself out of junk most of the time but if i HAVE to have that chocolate bar i just punish myself at the gym to make up for it - my mind and my body have an agreement ;)
court

Postby court » Wed May 13, 2009 3:39 pm

The Gabriel Method has 22 holds at my local library. How ridiculous :roll: :cry:
court

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed May 13, 2009 4:48 pm

I'm so sorry to hear that. Is there another library near you that you could join?
EvilWombatQueen

Postby court » Wed May 13, 2009 4:56 pm

nope..this library covers the entire district i live in! So there are actually like 9 libraries and 22 holds. Bummer. I looked on the web but there arent really any cheap copies! :cry:
The other book you mentioned is in though - i am going to get it next week!
court

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed May 13, 2009 5:51 pm

I actually think the other book is a good starting point. If you're going to read them both then it's best to start with Paul McKenna's book. It's a lot simpler and gets you used to mind programming and positive visualisation.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby whit3tig3y » Thu May 14, 2009 3:58 pm

I find what motivates me when i'm lacking in motivation is retail therapy. No, seriously! I'll go pick out a pair of pants I like, or a top, depending where you want to lose upper or lower weight the most, find a size that fits.... and then grab the size lower, or two depending what the sizing is like (the sizing at the target i go to is ridiculous, a size 16 and a size 18 are basically the same thing). And as i keep losing weight, i try them on, and they slowly get close and closer to doing up, and then they start fitting nicer and nicer. And at the point I can comfortably wear them out without having "overhang" when sitting down (tee hee hee) I go to retail therapy again :wink:
SW: 139.3kg - 01/01/2012
CW: 136.8kg - 08/01/2012
Goal: 60kg

whit3tig3y

Postby KT » Thu May 14, 2009 9:41 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

It is a very good point that no one is 100% motivated 100% of the time, so I just have to accept it and keep trying and exercise that little bit each day until I am actually looking forward to it.

And I guess realistic if it is going to be a lifestyle change then you can't feel like you are on a diet for the rest of your life and be strict all of the time (but not out of control either)
KT

Postby [email protected] » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:33 pm

Hi KT,

EWQ touched on it with visualisation. Maybe go through a few magazines and find the body you want. Cut it out and put it in a place that you will see often, maybe on your bathroom mirror, fridge or in your purse. I don't want to sound sexiest but women often see a hairstyle and take it to their hairdresser saying "I want this new look". You can do the same with your body.

Picture that image every day and what you need to do to reach that goal. Visualise how it will feel. Vary your exercise routine so you don't get bored and monitor what happens. Don't get too hung up on weight gains. Create a Goal Card, this is best keep in your purse. Write down your goals and read it when you see it. Think about your goals and what you have to do to reach them.

I hate the word diet, consider it weight and lifestyle management.

All the best

Dane
[email protected]

Postby funstopper » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:12 pm

I must say I really like the retail therapy idea for motivation :wink:
FunStopper
Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did

funstopper

Return to Weight loss Talk