It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:05 am

Free Newsletter

stupid alcohol

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

stupid alcohol

Postby sunshine » Tue May 05, 2009 8:40 am

I love my wine, well my couple of glasses now and then! But I notice that when I do drink, my weight stays the same, no losses so its the stupid wine doing it!!!! Do you guys (if you drink) give up completely or have your alcohol but not eat as much. Whats the deal???
sunshine

Re: stupid alcohol

Postby Shalimar » Tue May 05, 2009 8:48 am

Hi Sunshine, I'm not a drinker so I can't help but I just wanted to say it's great to see you back and I hope you get it sorted out soon :D .

SW: 175.0 kgs.
CW: 62 kgs-Hit goal 12 September 2009.
Shalimar

Postby court » Tue May 05, 2009 10:02 am

Hey sunshine...
I have a few tricks (well HAD cos now i really dont feel like wine anymore which is VERY weird!)...
I have my white wine as a "spritzer" with some soda water.... or there is a new wine out that is ultra low in calories - i think it is a Lindemans brand called "early harvest?"
Also, it probably isnt that you are putting on weight but your body is retaining fluid as the alcohol dehydrates you a bit..
I find i like a vodka, soda water with fresh limes now.. yumm or with some diet coke, gives me the "buzz" without the calories.
good luck :D
court

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue May 05, 2009 12:57 pm

I like a drink, and I know that in theory it is making it harder to lose weight (the body processes alcohol calories before food calories, so anything you eat while drinking is most likely going to end up stored as fat), but every time I give up the booze for a while my weight stays the same! If I managed to lose weight whenever I cut out alcohol I would find it much easier to limit my intake. But if I enjoy a drink and giving up doesn't seem to make a blind bit of difference then there's not much incentive for me to put down the bottle!

If you want to limit your alcohol then I agree with Court that a white wine spritzer is the best idea. Not only does it halve the calories, it keeps you hydrated while you drink.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Tojoo » Tue May 05, 2009 1:26 pm

Hi Sunshine, I've never really been into drinking at any stage during my life but from my own research it does appear that any alcohol you intake is burnt by the body prior to any fat calories being burnt for example. Not only this but the dehydration effect as well as strain on your nervous system can slow your metabolism thus making any consumed food more like to be stored as fat.

I'm not sure what your exercise routine is like but basically for anyone lifting weights and looking to tone their body as well as lose weight then alcohol is a definite no as this can slow muscle gains by as much as 20%.
Tojoo

Postby Michelle23 » Tue May 05, 2009 10:48 pm

Hi Sunshine,

I enjoy a wine too. I just include it in my calorie count on the days I have it. I only have 1 or 2 glasses though and I measure it to make certain I don't cheat. This way I still enjoy a wine and don't have to feel guilty about it.

Good luck.

Michelle
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w6RaUn4/]
[/url]
Michelle23

Postby sunshine » Fri May 08, 2009 10:28 pm

Thanks everyone. You have given me some good ideas there. I might try out that low cal wine, that sounds yummy! :D
sunshine

Postby kristal » Mon May 11, 2009 10:59 am

I am a bit of a bugger for the wine as well! I absolutely love my wine. I went from drinking about 3 glasses every night of the week, to cutting it out on week nights and just have a few glasses on a Saturday night which has definately helped my weight loss (and the ability to wake up easier in the mornings). I tend to include it in my calorie intake if I know I am going to have a couple so that I am not going over my daily calories and then go for a run in the morning. Everything in moderation.
SW - 71 kg
CW - 65 kg
GW - 58 kg
Weight Loss so Far = 6kgs
Weight to go = 7kgs
kristal

Postby MissMinx » Mon May 11, 2009 9:34 pm

Me too I love my wine! I had a whole bottle on Saturday night but on Saturday during the day I ran 13kms and made sure my diet was spot on so that I didnt reallllly pay for it in calories.

Damnnn i wish i hated it.
Current weight: 64.2kgs
Goal weight: 60kgs

Ok so my Sydney trip is over and I've reached 64.2kgs - my next weigh in is in 2 weeks time so that whatever damage I did in Sydney will be done and dusted! I would love to lose 4.2kgs by Xmas time and I guess thats where my new goal begins :)
MissMinx

Return to Weight loss Talk