It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:43 pm

Free Newsletter

how to stop snacking and decreast my apatite

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

how to stop snacking and decreast my apatite

Postby E J » Thu May 07, 2009 9:04 pm

i seamed to have forgotten about this form, but i am back!!!
i snack way to much expecially in the arvo, around 4ish.... when the OH gets home
and i eat big meals(not always, but sometimes)

is there anything i can take, to decreast my apatite, or stratagies to decrease it, and stop my urge for snacking?

thanc guys and gals
E J

Re: how to stop snacking and decreast my apatite

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Fri May 08, 2009 5:13 pm

There are a few ways to decrease your appetite.

You might want to consider switching to low GI carbs. They release blood sugar at a slower rate so you don't get a sugar spike then crash which makes you end up craving more carbs. As a result they make you feel fuller longer. You can find a list of the GI values of different foods here.

Consider increasing your fibre intake. Add some psyllium husks or bran to your morning cereal. Or add a soluble fibre like Benefibre to your coffee. Fibre slows the movement of food through your system so you feel fuller for longer. Just make sure you increase your fibre very gradually and that you drink a lot of water. If you add a heap of fibre to your diet suddenly it can really upset your digestive system. You need to add is slowly to get your body used to it. And you need to drink lots of water to flush the fibre through. Otherwise it sets like concrete in your guts and can make you constipated, which is ironic because most people add fibre to cure their constipation!

Drink lots of water. Often we mistake thirst for hunger. Whenever you're hungry have a glass of water first. If you wake up hungry in the middle of the night water will usually satisfy your hunger.

Go to bed early. I know that I usually get the munchies at 10 or 11pm. The best way to avoid this is by not being awake!

Consider adding some intensive exercise to your routine. Easy to moderate exercise like walking tends to increase your appetite while more intense exercise that raises your heart rate and makes you sweat suppresses your appetite for a while afterwards.

You might want to either have smaller meals more often, or make sure you have healthy snacks available between meals so that you're not tempted to eat high calorie snack foods. Make sure you don't leave more than 3 hours between eating otherwise you'll be starving by evening and it will make you make poor choices in food and potentially over-eat as well. There's nothing wrong with snacking provided it's planned and it's not increasing your fat or calorie intake too much. Currently I'm allowing myself to snack on fruit or veggies between meals.

Add more protein to your meals. Protein lowers the overall GI of your meal and keeps you feeling fuller longer.

Consider cutting out artificial sweeteners. Research has shown that rats eat more after having artificial sweeteners because it confuses the brain about how many calories you've consumed. I'm currently avoiding sweeteners as a bit of an experiment to see if it reduces my hunger.

Hope this helps!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby E J » Fri May 08, 2009 7:06 pm

thankyou so so much for taking the time to write that for me!!
hopefully i can put some of those into practice =D
thanx heaps!
E J

Postby E J » Fri May 08, 2009 7:47 pm

after having a think about it, i have brekkie about 7-8, lunch about 12-1, dinner about 6-7
so my gap between lunch and dinner is to long(am i right?) i really need to add a decent snack, small meal, it has to be filling and i can eat it at 3.30-4pm when i snack(well it's more of giving in and eating what crap i can find)

what are some things that arnt to high in fat/calories, that will fill me up.. i try to drink drink drink water at this time but it just dosent work, i am hungry and i seam to binge at this time, so if i have a small meal, decent snack at that time i in theory will eat healthy and stay within my calories.

brekkie and lunch i only eat about 200-300calories each, dinner is from 200-500calories depending what were having
E J

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sat May 09, 2009 8:48 pm

I'd say there's definitely too big a gap between your meals. Planning snacks between those times should help with your hunger.

As luck would have it there's an entire thread here dedicated to healthy low cal snacks! Hopefully something there will appeal to you. Otherwise there's always the safe standby items of vegetable soup, veggie sticks and salsa, salad (with a low fat dressing) or fruit.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby E J » Mon May 11, 2009 11:35 am

thanx heaps, you have ben very very helpfull
E J

Return to Weight loss Talk