It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:51 pm

Free Newsletter

Set point?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Set point?

Postby fi_112 » Thu May 07, 2009 10:46 pm

Hi guys,
Well over the last few months my weight has pretty much stabilized, and refuses to go lower! I have posted a few questions on here about why, asking about fluid retention and calorie king etc etc, hoping to lose the last 2kg in my goal. It was really upsetting me for awhile!
HOWEVER, i have found that no matter how good or bad I am, my weight goes back to the same! It makes my BMI 22.5, so I'm thinking it might just be my perfect weight? Seriously, if I eat salads and tuna and exercise my ass off, I end up at about the same in my weekly weight in as if I go out drinking and eat roasts and icecream! Most of the time I'm good and I exercise a lot but I let myself have nights out and treats.
I have competed in a triathlon, done a bikini competition (very scary but fun!!) and this weekend I'm doing a 7km mothers day run.. so I've reached most of my other goals, but I am not at my goal weight!
What do you all think?
Could it be my set point or do I need to cut out the partying etc. to lose my last 2 kg? As I said, I've tried to cut out the partying and it didn't seem to shift the scales.
Thanks!
To wish you were someone else is to waste the person you are
fi_112

Re: Set point?

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu May 07, 2009 11:40 pm

It's possible you've reached your set point. In the book 'The Gabriel Method' Jon Gabriel talks about using visualisation and mind programming to lower your physical/psychological set point. If your local library stocks it you might find it worthwhile to borrow the book to see what you think.

You might be at your comfortable weight. You might have hit a plateau [link to an article about busting plateaus]. If you've tried a few solutions and your weight is staying the same then perhaps it's best to learn to accept your current weight.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Fireball » Fri May 08, 2009 12:14 am

Hi Fi

My question is how do you feel? I'm no expert on this stuff but your bmi seems good so may be that where you are is ideal for you. BMI doesn't differentiate between body fat and muscle but given that you say you have been in a triathlon and doing the Mother'sDay Classic, I take it you are pretty active so probably reasonably balanced. If you're happy I don't see the point in struggling to lose a few more kilos. The goal weight was to give yourself a general target to aim for and it seems to have served it's purpose - to keep you on track while you were trying to get the excess weight off.

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Postby fi_112 » Sat May 09, 2009 7:30 pm

Thank you guys!! Very much appreciate the reply.

Maybe I should take my body fat %?

It's true that maybe I'm on a plateau because I refuse to give up my partying! 'Most days I am v happy with my body but sometimes I feel I haven't really finished the job..
To wish you were someone else is to waste the person you are
fi_112

Postby Riayn » Sun May 10, 2009 4:34 pm

I would stop relying on what the scales say and see what your bodyfat % and tape measurements say.

It may be that you are still losing centimetres off your waist and hips and reducing your bodyfat % even though the scales are remaining fairly static. It definitely sounds like you are getting enough exercise in. :D
Last edited by Jisgone on Sun May 10, 2009 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spud On The Run - A Couch Potato's Guide to Weight Loss & Fitness
Rainbow Of Chaos - The Life of a Thirtysomething Geek Girl

SW: 84.5kg
CW: 73.8kg
GW: 67kg
Riayn

Postby Czarina » Mon May 11, 2009 12:26 pm

If you are happy with your body and you are fit and healthy, I don't see the problem! I think we all focus too much on the number.
Czarina

Return to Weight loss Talk