It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:33 pm

Free Newsletter

weight loss help for a dummy

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

weight loss help for a dummy

Postby alisvolatpropriis » Fri May 08, 2009 4:44 pm

Hi guys,
I know good food and exercise will do it BUT my problem is what's good?!?!?!

Can someone please please tell me how to get started properly?

any tips/advice would be much appreciated! It seems like nothing i have done has made me lose enough weight to keep me motivated!!!

thanks in advance...
avp
SW: 70kg
CW: 69.9kg
Goal 1: 65kg
Goal 2: 60kg
Ultimate Goal: 55kg
alisvolatpropriis

Re: weight loss help for a dummy

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Fri May 08, 2009 5:29 pm

All weight loss programs are good provided you stick to them. The question isn't so much what's good, the question is what suits you enough for you to stick to it. This goes for both diet and exercise. Running, for example, may be a great weight loss exercise but if you hate running with a passion then you're not going to stick to it long enough for it to work!

Look at some different weight loss systems and different exercises and see which one you would find the most appealing.

If you're looking at joining a structured program ask yourself if you like monitoring everything you eat but with the flexibility of a few treats, if you like cooking for yourself all the time or if you like the convenience of pre-packaged meals. If you like the control and flexibility of monitoring your food intake then Calorie King or Weight Watchers might be for you. There's another Weight Watcher's program where you don't monitor that closely, but you eat three meals a day made of 'good' foods with certain points allowed for treats per week. If you cook for yourself and don't need much flexibility then that might suit you. If you prefer someone else to cook then maybe Lite n' Easy will suit you.

If you want to organise your own diet then I recommend reading Steve's post on nutrition. If you rely on carbs like I do then you might want to look at low GI as an option. If you hate fruit and veggies and love animal protein then maybe a low carb diet would suit you better.

As to exercise, there is a lot of interest in interval training now as a way to burn maximum fat. Remember to include weight training every second day to build muscle as muscle burns more calories while resting than fat does. Or look at an exercise program that suits your interest. Some people here love the exercise DVDs 'Walk Away the Pounds'. Others are trying the Couch to 5K running program. Still others go regularly to their local gym. And some prefer the guidance of a personal trainer.

I hope you find a solution that suits your needs. Good luck!

cheers,
Ali
EvilWombatQueen

Postby alisvolatpropriis » Sat May 09, 2009 11:07 am

Thanks Ali - I think I just have to give myself more time instead of being so impatient! :?

Gained another 500gm this week... but it is ttotm so its not so bad i guess!!!

thanks for your advice though - i am already using calorie king!

Steve's post was interesting!!!! thank you!
SW: 70kg
CW: 69.9kg
Goal 1: 65kg
Goal 2: 60kg
Ultimate Goal: 55kg
alisvolatpropriis

Postby Riayn » Sun May 10, 2009 4:52 pm

A good diet consists of mainly fresh whole food - meat (if you eat it), lots of vegetables, some fruit and some dairy.

My rule is if it comes in a box or keeps for more than a week than it shouldn't form a major part of your diet.
I would reduce how many refined carbs you are eating - that is sugar, white bread, pastas, rice etc and cut out all sugary drinks.

Also try to exercise for 30 mins a day, 5 times a week.

If you are able to do all of this, then you will definitely see some weight loss.
Spud On The Run - A Couch Potato's Guide to Weight Loss & Fitness
Rainbow Of Chaos - The Life of a Thirtysomething Geek Girl

SW: 84.5kg
CW: 73.8kg
GW: 67kg
Riayn

Return to Weight loss Talk