It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:51 am

Free Newsletter

scared of carbs

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

scared of carbs

Postby onthedecrease » Sat May 09, 2009 5:54 pm

Hey everyone,

Umm im in a bit of a predicament, I have been doing Celebrity Slim and Im scared of stopping the program as it is pretty much drummed into us to avoid carbs. I guess my question is, can you still lose weight and eat carbs. Im not scared of putting on weight I know I can maintain my current weight, but I still have around 20kg to go and I seem to have hit a bit of a plateu with CS and cant afford to do it without seeing results. If anyone has any advice that would be really appreciated, especially to do with introducing carbs into my diet without the shakes- on cs im eating roughly 100-110grams per day, if I go over this will I not lose weight?

Please help. :?
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvgjwLj/]
[/url]
onthedecrease

Re: scared of carbs

Postby onthedecrease » Sun May 10, 2009 12:13 pm

any one? :(
[/url]
onthedecrease

Postby BBgal » Sun May 10, 2009 12:26 pm

I think you will be fine if you go for Low GI carbs( in moderation), occasionally though you can have others..... I have sushi quite often on my diet and It doesn't seem to hinder my weight loss. Saying that though I would always try to go for the low GI option of pastas, brown rice and if you really want a " mash" have either sweet potato or cauliflower as a substitute for potato. Sorry I couldn't help more.
SW: 99.9kg ( how close was that to triple digits) 4/11/08
CW: 72.2kg 20/06/09)
GW: 60kg ( Will re-evaluate then to see if I want lower)
BBgal

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sun May 10, 2009 2:40 pm

I agree with BBGal. It's not a question of whether you can have carbs or not, it's what type of carbs you are having and how much you are having of them.

Make sure you keep to the correct portion sizes: What's the right portion size?
Here is a list of low GI carbs to help you select meals that will keep you feeling fuller for longer: The GI Diet Guide

Good luck!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Riayn » Sun May 10, 2009 4:31 pm

You need to eat carbs to provide your body with enough energy to get through the day as well as enough to exercise. The trick is choosing the right carbs. I would say away from refined carbs - sugar, white bread, pasta, rice etc, and try to get most of your carbs from lots of vegetables (except potatoes) and some fruits (except bananas).
Also stay away from sugary drinks including those horrible so-called "vitamin water" sugar cocktails - there is nothing healthy about them whatsoever.

Make sure you are consuming a healthy level of protein and good fats as well. :)
Spud On The Run - A Couch Potato's Guide to Weight Loss & Fitness
Rainbow Of Chaos - The Life of a Thirtysomething Geek Girl

SW: 84.5kg
CW: 73.8kg
GW: 67kg
Riayn

Postby onthedecrease » Sun May 10, 2009 5:00 pm

thanks for the help everyone, its appreciated.

riayn- thats what im doing now and im over it what you just said is celebrity slim to a tea, i need to start introducing carbs into my diet again i.e rice bread and pasta
onthedecrease

Postby Red » Sun May 10, 2009 5:30 pm

Hello! I am Red.. I am glad you decided to include carbs on your diet again. We should all know that the basic principle of any low carbohydrate diet is that carbohydrates cause weight gain which is misleading. You gain weight if you consume too many kilojoules (or calories) - it doesn’t matter whether they are from carbohydrates, proteins or fats.
Red

Postby onthedecrease » Sun May 10, 2009 5:57 pm

Hi Red,

thanks for the input, but CS isint a low carb program rather a moderate one, I was consuming 110g carbs per day, It will be interesting to see how it all turns out once that number is higher. thanks again
[/url]
onthedecrease

Postby Red » Sun May 10, 2009 6:07 pm

:D im glad to hear that..
Red

Postby kristal » Mon May 11, 2009 10:55 am

I came off Celebrity Slim about 3 weeks ago for the same reasons - I hit a plateau and I didn't feel it had the desired effect for me, plus i was going a bit crazy only having a mainly liquid diet. It did help me to lose 5kgs which I am forever grateful for because it is a good start.

As long as you are keeping up the same principles (mainly low carb but like the others said - brown rices and pastas if you want to have them, multigrain breads etc), and excercising - you will be fine. I have maintained my weight loss since coming off it and yes I have incorporated breads into my diet again (and a few magnum ice creams too - naughty I know) but I still haven't put on that weight.

So just remain strict with yourself in moderation and you will be fine.
SW - 71 kg
CW - 65 kg
GW - 58 kg
Weight Loss so Far = 6kgs
Weight to go = 7kgs
kristal

Postby fazila » Mon May 11, 2009 9:39 pm

As mentioned already, the key is to choose the right carbohydrates. Successful and sustainable weight loss can only be achieved by breaking the addiction to high glycemic load carbohydrates and choosing foods low on the glycemic index. Most people today eat a diet largely based on the consumption of highly processed foods high in simple sugars and refined starches. Over time, this can lead to weight management issues, type 2 diabetes and heart disease. Learning to use the (yet more spam! who wouldve thought) to assess carbohydrate impact is well worth the time and effort.
Last edited by Jisgone on Tue May 12, 2009 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spam
fazila

Return to Weight loss Talk