It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:24 am

Free Newsletter

Anyone doing weight training?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Anyone doing weight training?

Postby gea » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:37 pm

Hi all, I am currently lifting weights a 3 times a week to build muscle and assist fatloss.

Is anyone here weight training? If so have you found succes in doing so? Thanks.
gea

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:57 pm

I have tried to build strength training into my cardio and have found that as I get fitter, the added muscle use hass been building muscle tone as I go.
I've been cycling, which is great cardio, but also builds muscle in the lags and arms, Pilates occasionally which helps the abdominals (and may I say it also is great for your back to prevent pain - but check with your doc if you have an injury) and badminton which is all over muscle and cardio workout and balance development.

I'm the sort of person who can't just go out and do something for the sake of it, I have to make it part of something else (like getting to work) so this works for me.

As far as muscle tone helping weight loss, I find it hard to say exactly that the mucle tone has helped as it's all part of added exercise and has been along side better eating. Too many variables to account for to say for sure, but it's gotta be good!! And all the research says the more muscle the higher the metabolism and subsequent fat burning ability.

Cheers,
Tegan
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby KimE » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:04 pm

Hi Gea

I am doing strength training twice a week and will be starting regular pump classes (group weight training class) at the gym this coming weekend to bring it up to 3 times per week.

I really enjoy this as I feel I can more readily see my progress than I can with cardio. Currently I don't have any weights at home so any strength training done there is weightless and the gym for weights.

I am not sure how much of where I am now is attributable to this training as I also eat well and do cardio 5-6 times per week. However, I am definitely more toned and solid in places I wasn't before. For me I feel it is a necessary part of my exercise program with the upside being muscle burns more calories than fat so right there is a great reason for me to keep doing it. I don't want my weightloss to come from muscle only the fat.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby clare » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:02 am

I started at the gym today on the cardio circuit and tomorrow I am on the weights....previous weightloss has me determined to tone up with weights as I believe they burn muscles than fat and looks better to be toned.

good luck with the venture..
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
clare

Postby gea » Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:54 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I hope it works well for me also:).
gea

Return to Weight loss Talk