It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:56 pm

Free Newsletter

Side effects - Celebrity Slim, Tony Ferguson etc.

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Side effects - Celebrity Slim, Tony Ferguson etc.

Postby Janeyc1983 » Tue May 12, 2009 3:12 pm

Hi all,

I know there is probably discussion about this elsewhere, but I would like to hear from anyone who has had success with Tony Ferguson, Optislim, Kate Morgan, Celebrity Slim or the various other shake programs.

I am only on day one of KAte Morgan, and already I feel quite sick/queasy and dizzy.

Today I have eaten

B: Half a grapefruit and a Kate Morgan shake
S: Small piece of soy and linseed loaf and skim flat white
L: KM shake and carrot sticks

I have also consumed about 1.5 L water, am sipping water throughout the day.

I am planning to snack on an apple, then do pilates and some cardio at the gym this afternoon, and for dinner tonight have lot fat meat with vegies.

Does the headaches/dizzyness and feeling queasy stop after a couple of days and is there anything I can do to make it go quicker?

Anyone? Help?
Highest weight: 76kg
SW: 75 kg (September 2008)
CW: 69kg (26 May 2009)
GW: 64kg <_---------------------------- **
YAY - in the 60's!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wKecLuP/]
[/url]
Janeyc1983

Re: Side effects - Celebrity Slim, Tony Ferguson etc.

Postby BBgal » Tue May 12, 2009 6:48 pm

hi Janeyc1983,
Shake diets aren't for everyone, in saying that though some find them excactly what the needed. You may be going through "junk and coffee" detox which is why your feeling sick and dizzy. I have heard of several that have had this for the first few days while it clears there system(though any longer and i would discontinue using it) I am on the Betty Baxter program which unlike the other shake programs doesn't send you into ketosis, we have a lot more in our allowed list then tony Ferguson. The shakes aren't as "powdery" I found too as I tried a few kate morgan and TF ones when I was shopping around for a program. I never suffered the side affects but i never was a junk food/ major coffee drinker.
hope it passes for you soon and good luck
SW: 99.9kg ( how close was that to triple digits) 4/11/08
CW: 72.2kg 20/06/09)
GW: 60kg ( Will re-evaluate then to see if I want lower)
BBgal

Postby Janeyc1983 » Wed May 13, 2009 9:22 am

thanks heaps BB Gal.

I will see how I go today. I am also going to try having the shakes with zero fat milk today and see if I feel any better. As I usually exercise an hour 5-6 times per week, I am thinking I'll probably achieve weight loss if I use milk in the shakes.

Thanks for the advice and well done on your weight loss achievement by the way. How long have you been doing Betty Baxter for?
YAY - in the 60's!

[/url]
Janeyc1983

Postby BBgal » Wed May 13, 2009 10:55 am

Been doing it since 5th of November last year. so 6mths or 27 weeks ...I am sure I would have had more but have bad week once every month when my partner goes back to work ( he is fly in fly out and is only home 1 week out of every 4 it is horrible)but once i settle down its straight back to business to get into a healthy life pattern.
SW: 99.9kg ( how close was that to triple digits) 4/11/08
CW: 72.2kg 20/06/09)
GW: 60kg ( Will re-evaluate then to see if I want lower)
BBgal

Postby Czarina » Wed May 13, 2009 11:18 am

The side-effects you mention are very common on these programs, the main reason being, you are simply not consuming enough calories for your body to function properly. Especially if you are doing an hour of exercise most days! Something like http://www.calorieking.com.au will help you lose weight without the side-effects, and it's free - even better. It is healthy and sustainable - I've lost almost 40kg.
Czarina

Postby Janeyc1983 » Wed May 13, 2009 12:00 pm

thanks Czarina...I agree - yesterday by 4pm I was ready to fall over and as soon as I went home and had a piece of rye toast with one of those Laughing Cow cheeses I felt heaps better.

I am going to continue the shakes, but using low fat milk. I think I will still achieve weight loss, especially since I will be consuming only minimal carbs (and those carbs I do eat I will aim for low GI)

I have bought a 2 week supply so may as well try and stick to it as best I can and re evaluate at the end of 2 weeks
YAY - in the 60's!

[/url]
Janeyc1983

Postby onthedecrease » Wed May 13, 2009 3:02 pm

Hi,

The symptoms that you are describing are just your body detoxing from all the junk/sugar ect, it can last any where from a few days to a week depending on your diet before hand. They do pass, the programs arent vlcd diets contrary to popular opinion and I believe are 100% successfull if you follow the program.

While I have never done KM i have done Celebrity Slim (doing maintenance for a few weeks) im a bit surprised that your eating bread, when the whole point of these programs is to cut out the extra carbs, also with you adding milk to the shakes- milk is pure carbs regardless of full cream, skim ect. I dont mean to be judgemental and I apolagise if I come across like that, but im just curious as to why your spending the money on the program and then your not following the program to a t.

Just my 2cents.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvgjwLj/]
[/url]
onthedecrease

Postby Janeyc1983 » Wed May 13, 2009 3:33 pm

Hi onthedecrease, no not judgmental at all. I appreciate the advice.

I had the rye toast yesterday as I was feeling so faint that I felt I needed something in my stomach, but am back on KM properly today.

I had my lunchtime shake with water and feel fine so far, am about to have an apple for afternoon tea snack.

I too have dabbled in shakes before, Celebrity Slim and Horley's, and I just feel after having nothing but the shakes and fruit all day I get to 5pm and just want to crash and burn. And because I like to exercise in the afternoons (I cannot do it before work because I commute about an hour each way), I feel I need something slightly bulkier (ie a protein bar) in my stomach otherwise I just cannot make it through a workout without feeling sick. Fruit does not seem to cut it, but perhaps I will try a banana or something. Kate Morgan says you can have one a day.

Have you any advice for me OTD about my getting thro afternoon workout? As I'd really appreciate it and completely agree, why spend the money if I am not going to stick to it....!!
YAY - in the 60's!

[/url]
Janeyc1983

Postby onthedecrease » Wed May 13, 2009 3:38 pm

phew.... im glad you werent offended.

With the exercise, you should be looking for protein dense snack ideas such as boiled egg, sliced ham ect. In the arvo I try and have a fruit serve as a snack as its full of natural sugar and helps me get through the day, I tend to avoid the snack bars as they are overly processed and really do nothing great for your body. If KM allows bananas perhaps have half with a bit of natural yoghurt in the arvo which would be calorie dense and help you get the needed energy. Alternatively you could try having your main meal at lunch if thats workable with your time table, if your using the bulk of your energy in the arvo it would make sense to have the main meal earlier and have a shake/soup for tea when your less active.

Hope this helps
[/url]
onthedecrease

Postby Janeyc1983 » Wed May 13, 2009 3:45 pm

I totally agree - I would prefer to take a bigger lunch (salad with meat in it) but it's quite antisocial to have a shake at dinner time when the rest of the family eats normally - but I think I will do that as often as I can.

I think thats the hardest thing about the shakes, the antisocial element! Plus having to answer questions about the shakes ("why are you doing that?" "Oh my god I could never do that"! "But you don't need to lose weight!" etc etc
YAY - in the 60's!

[/url]
Janeyc1983

Postby Czarina » Wed May 13, 2009 6:18 pm

Anything under 1200 calories is a very low calorie diet.

If you do not want to do the shake thing, you don't want to drastically cut carbs and you want to have the energy to exercise, just eat real food. I have lost nearly 40kg eating loads of food, I have never felt faint or dizzy, I NEVER go hungry and I have energy to exercise. I have never felt healthier! :D
Czarina

Postby onthedecrease » Wed May 13, 2009 6:48 pm

I dont know about Kate Morgan but Celebrity SLim is 1200cals per day, so I wouldnt class it as a VLCD.

Just do what works best for you I think
[/url]
onthedecrease

Postby whit3tig3y » Thu May 14, 2009 3:53 pm

1200cals a day is minimum. thats what your body needs to FUNCTION not live healthy. I don't understand why people eat so little its so frustrating! If you exercise, work, do anything other than sit on a couch all day, you need over 1200cals because that is bare minimum. Shakes or not, you need more.

I think shakes arent bad, but the programs themselves create so much of a problem, you can only eat this, you cant eat that. What happens when people get to their goal weight, are they going to stay on shakes for the rest of their life? They won't know how to eat and will stack it all back on!

No offence to anyone on shakes... but real foods are healthier for you, and eating too little just because a shake diet tells you to isn't helping.
SW: 139.3kg - 01/01/2012
CW: 136.8kg - 08/01/2012
Goal: 60kg

whit3tig3y

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu May 14, 2009 5:28 pm

Although a very low calorie diet (VLCD) isn't the healthiest option for weight loss, under medical supervision it can cause dramatic initial weight loss in the short term. This can be useful for very obese people who are suffering health problems because of their weight. The most important things to remember is that it must be done under medical supervision to be safe, VLCDs are only safe for short periods, 'real' food should be phased back in gradually, and nutritional counselling is needed so that the person doesn't go back to old habits and regain all of their lost weight.

As onthedecrease pointed out, not all meal replacement programs are VLCDs. Some are higher in calories and designed to be used in conjunction with real food simply as a quick and easy option for one meal per day. Others are an easy way for people to start a diet who would otherwise have no clue about what to do. It starts the weight loss and gives them time to learn the nutritional skills they'll need to keep the weight off. They can also help people who are good at maintaining their weight, but rubbish at losing it.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby alisvolatpropriis » Thu May 14, 2009 5:50 pm

whit3tig3y wrote:1200cals a day is minimum. thats what your body needs to FUNCTION not live healthy. I don't understand why people eat so little its so frustrating! If you exercise, work, do anything other than sit on a couch all day, you need over 1200cals because that is bare minimum. Shakes or not, you need more.

I think shakes arent bad, but the programs themselves create so much of a problem, you can only eat this, you cant eat that. What happens when people get to their goal weight, are they going to stay on shakes for the rest of their life? They won't know how to eat and will stack it all back on!

No offence to anyone on shakes... but real foods are healthier for you, and eating too little just because a shake diet tells you to isn't helping.

I think you are spot on whit3tig3y! my work mate was on the shakes and lost about 10kgs - got to his goal weight, then ate again, felt deprived and ate like crazy! he has gained it all back, if not more!
SW: 70kg
CW: 69.9kg
Goal 1: 65kg
Goal 2: 60kg
Ultimate Goal: 55kg
alisvolatpropriis

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk