It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:57 am

Free Newsletter

Side effects - Celebrity Slim, Tony Ferguson etc.

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Side effects - Celebrity Slim, Tony Ferguson etc.

Postby whit3tig3y » Thu May 14, 2009 7:02 pm

Yes but just because you go to a chemist and buy a pack of shakes and a list of what food you can and cant eat, doesnt mean its good for you.
In my opinion, unless your doctor recommends it because you have a special circumstance, eat real food.
SW: 139.3kg - 01/01/2012
CW: 136.8kg - 08/01/2012
Goal: 60kg

whit3tig3y

Postby onthedecrease » Thu May 14, 2009 8:49 pm

Just because you dont agree with them whit3tigy that doesnt mean they are bad or dangerous. No one on one of these shake diets would criticise you for your choices and tell you that what you believe in doesnt work.

If you use one of these meal replacement "diets" and you go back to eating crap then of course you will gain weight back, the beauty of these programs is that if done correctly you not only lose the weight but your learning about proper nutritition along the way.

You said "1200cals a day is minimum. thats what your body needs to FUNCTION not live healthy. I don't understand why people eat so little its so frustrating! If you exercise, work, do anything other than sit on a couch all day, you need over 1200cals because that is bare minimum. Shakes or not, you need more." does this mean that the contestants on biggest loser werent functioning properly?
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvgjwLj/]
[/url]
onthedecrease

Postby whit3tig3y » Thu May 14, 2009 9:43 pm

Biggest loser is ridiculous also.. it used to be good.. i watch one of the latest seasons episodes and was disgusted. What they teach them and make them do isn't sustainable, thats why everyone puts weight back on when the show is over. Its funny how the ones that get booted out really early still seem to lose weight and those that are there til the end put it back on.

I think sustainability is the key with diets. Theres no point in doing all this wonderful fandangle stuff for a few months to lose the weight, only to change your habits and put it all back on later. That kind of defeats the purpose of lifestyle changes.

whit3tig3y

Postby onthedecrease » Thu May 14, 2009 9:55 pm

then the simple answer is actually learn about nutrition when your doing them and dont go back to eating crap when your done which is what most people do- its not a quick fix its for life
[/url]
onthedecrease

Postby whit3tig3y » Thu May 14, 2009 10:51 pm

yes but how many people do you think research nutrition or see a nutritionist while they're on the shakes and plan for the future? i can guarantee you its less than 25%

whit3tig3y

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu May 14, 2009 11:45 pm

You could say the same about any diet involving 'real food' too, Whit3, since up to two thirds of people who lose weight even through healthy means end up putting it back on within five years (link).

Will people who don't learn about nutrition regain the weight? Probably. But those are the people who don't bother learning about proper nutrition no matter what weight loss methods they use. They're the people who think that a diet only lasts as long as it takes to lose the weight, and then go back to their old eating habits and regain all that weight again. So even healthy eating and exercise won't necessarily work for them long term because they don't see them as long term necessities. Or they have the best of intentions and old habits simply creep back in over time.

I really don't want to sound critical here, Whit3, but recently there was a heated discussion over someone lecturing you on your eating choices. Understandably you didn't appreciate an attack on your weight loss methods and the people here who choose to use meal replacements deserve to be treated with equal respect. The fact that they're here suggests they're trying to learn about nutrition and exercise to supplement and eventually supplant their current weight loss methods. Lumping them in with the people who use it as a seemingly easy option is pretty unfair.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby whit3tig3y » Fri May 15, 2009 7:45 am

I'm not trying to push one certain type of diet because ones better than the other, in the end all diets work otherwise people wouldnt do them, even if they're not completely efficient or "healthy". starving yourself works too, but its not fantastic for you and some people do it. the point i'm trying to push is sustainability. in my world, sustainability is the key answer. you need to find a happy medium where you can continue your diet and exercise happily for the rest of your life. if people dont imagine being on shakes for the rest of their life, then its not sustainable and further action is required to create a sustainable enviroment or plan. do people on shakes plan on having shakes for the rest of their life? if not, what do you plan on doing? EWQ my point was not what they consume, but the effect it has on sustainability. when you switch from one diet plan to another, it takes ALOT of time to get the right balance, especially between shakes and real food, it could take you months to find a happy medium in eating real food. and this is where alot of people fall off, because the shake programs dont promote sustainability, IMO the focus on losing the weight, how many of them tell you "use the shakes to lose weight" and how many of them also give you a guide to follow for the rest of your life to maintain that weight loss? if shake programs did this i would see an advantage. but they're marketed (or atleast commonly percieved) as a quick fix. and they are unless you have a plan of action after the shakes. but as i said before, i could guaratnee 25% of people who use them dont. not because they "want" a quick fix, but the nature of the program is that it doesnt include it. if they told you how to eat healthy without the shakes why would you buy them then?

whit3tig3y

Postby Janeyc1983 » Fri May 15, 2009 9:30 am

thanks all for weighing into the debate here....what you have all written is really interesting and it's great to be able to see the different views.

I agree that any 'quick fixes' ie shakes, diet pills, juice diets, very low carb diets don't work in the long run, unless people change their habits. For people who are not aware of nutrition and what a healthy diet really looks like, it's easy to see how all the kilos pile back on when they go back to their old ways.

I consider myself to be quite educated about nutrition, and know the real key to losing weight is eating less and moving more.

I am one of those people who are crap at losing weight but fine with maintaining it. At my heaviest, I stayed at around 75-6kg for about 2 years. I didn't gain any and always managed to lose 2-3kg here and there by eating reasonably healthy and exercising. I am however, looking to change my body shape and stay permanently at a weight I am happy with. I know this will mean making regular exercise a permanent thing, and I also know it means I'll really have to keep things like carbs, alcohol and sweets for treats.

I wanted to do the shakes to allow me to lose a few kilos quickly, to motivate me to continue exercising and eating well (both things I plan to do for the rest of my life!). Since i have paid for them, I'll continue with them and sticking to the plan and see how I go.
Highest weight: 76kg
SW: 75 kg (September 2008)
CW: 69kg (26 May 2009)
GW: 64kg <_---------------------------- **
YAY - in the 60's!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wKecLuP/]
[/url]
Janeyc1983

Postby whit3tig3y » Fri May 15, 2009 9:41 am

if you have goals set in place for the future i say go for it. the only thing i'm against totally with the shakes is staying on them too long. if they're used as an initial starting point, or to create motivation, or in VERY large people a way of kickstarting the weight loss or quickly losing some weight to aid in exercise and mobility, then thats ok! but i dont think they should be used, or even concidered a long term solution. or a quick fix. its the same principle with anything else though, not just shakes. a friend of mine at work said she was going to just eat salad and salad only no meat no nothing for a few weeks to lose weight and then she'll go back to how she eats now and just add exercise. concidering this person eats fast food 3 times a week, when she goes back, its just going to all go back on.

it sounds like you have some future plans in place, and know where you are headed and how you are going to make changes to your diet post shakes and make it something sustainable :) good work!

whit3tig3y

Postby onthedecrease » Fri May 15, 2009 11:21 am

whit3 you say that these programs are not sustainable which just does my head in, this is your view and I bet if you actually bothered to get of your high horse and speak to people on these programs you would understand just how beneficial they are.

All of these programs have maintenance programs which teaches you how to get the balance right, it continues to offer support even after you have finished with the program and are no longer spending money on the shakes- they do this because they believe in the program and want there customers to succeeed.

Like with any program it is not a quick fix, and I dont know of anyone that would commit themselves to one of these programs for a quick fix, people are desperate, there lives are being ruined by there weight, and for you to judge them for doing something for selves just because it is different from a program you chose to use is poor form. I wouldnt judge you for not using a shake, I expect the same in return- this is my health not yours.
[/url]
onthedecrease

Postby whit3tig3y » Fri May 15, 2009 11:27 am

i know alot of people who have been on these programs, all have ditched them and decided to eat healthy and exercise, and have actually lost more weight that way than they were losing on the programs.

i think you have the wrong idea of sustainability. are you going to use the shakes to replace your meals for the rest of your life? if no, then thats not sustainability.

whit3tig3y

Postby Czarina » Fri May 15, 2009 11:35 am

The Chemists that promote these diets, do care about the people - they want to make money! I know more than one person who used to work in these pharmacies and were forced to promote this rubbish, one ended up very depressed and had to quit because she couldn't live with feeding people this bad advice.

How many times have you heard this..."TF/KM worked last time, so I'm going to do it again." Enough said!
Czarina

Postby onthedecrease » Fri May 15, 2009 11:43 am

if they didnt work people wouldnt do them- enough said.

you have your view i have mine, i know they work
[/url]
onthedecrease

Postby whit3tig3y » Fri May 15, 2009 12:08 pm

just because it works, doesnt mean its fantastic for you. starving yourself works too. will it solve the longterm issues? no.

whit3tig3y

Postby onthedecrease » Fri May 15, 2009 12:46 pm

im not even going to bother with this, its just rude to judge someone for what they chose to do.
[/url]
onthedecrease

PreviousNext

Return to Weight loss Talk