It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:22 am

Free Newsletter

Side effects - Celebrity Slim, Tony Ferguson etc.

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Side effects - Celebrity Slim, Tony Ferguson etc.

Postby whit3tig3y » Fri May 15, 2009 12:53 pm

i'm not judging you as a person, if you take it that way then i'm sorry.

im expressing my concerns and reasonings behind why i dont like shake diets. since this was a topic for discussion on side effects of them, i thought it was justified. but if you would like to just hear from people who agree with you, then thats fine.
SW: 139.3kg - 01/01/2012
CW: 136.8kg - 08/01/2012
Goal: 60kg

whit3tig3y

Postby onthedecrease » Fri May 15, 2009 1:09 pm

look i could express my concerns behind your daily diet and give my opinions on what your doing wrong but I choose not to.

in the end i have gone from 125.2kg to 89.1 thanks to celebrity slim, not only do i owe the program my health my life but my sanity.

good luck to you on your own journey
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvgjwLj/]
[/url]
onthedecrease

Postby whit3tig3y » Fri May 15, 2009 1:14 pm

im not asking for input by creating a thread for it though. if you just wanted to let people know your story or how your days going etc, make a thread for that. i thought this thread was to discuss the side effects of the shake diets... not talk about your life. this is not an attack on you, please learn to seperate that.

whit3tig3y

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Fri May 15, 2009 1:44 pm

The original post was asking for advice from others who have used meal replacement shakes and was very specific about the side effects it was asking about. It wasn't a general thread about whether they were good or bad. Diverting it into a debate about whether they are a good long term strategy for weight loss is hijacking it into a new topic. Like you said, if you want to discuss something that is off-topic it's best to start a new thread.

I think you're right that we all need to take advice less personally. If someone criticises your eating plan they're not criticising you, they just don't agree with a particular program or concept. I think we all get our egos involved in our weight loss because society treats it as such a moral and personal issue. I know that if I take offense at what someone says I find it useful to step back and re-read the post in a friendly voice. Often what we think is a personal attack is a genuine question, a kindly-meant piece of advice, or just a simply misunderstanding.

Getting back to meal replacement programs, I think it's ill-advised to criticise a weight loss method you haven't tried. I've seen lots of people here slag off low-carb weight loss methods who have never actually read the medical literature on high protein diets, and who have never personally tried them. I've seen people here criticise Lite n' Easy because of their own preconceptions and not because of their personal experience. Similarly there have been people who have criticised others for an occasional glass of red wine or for eating bananas of all things. Whether we like it or not some people do manage to lose weight using methods we don't agree with. And some of them keep it off. Everyone's weight loss journey is their own and it's up to them to discover what works and what doesn't work.

Are meal replacement programs a good option in some instances? Yes, we've all agreed to that in this thread.

Are they the best option for everyone? No, and no-one claimed they were.

Should you follow a VLCD or any strict meal replacement program for the rest of your life? Definitely not and no-one would recommend it. The programs themselves set up a 'weaning off' period and the good ones give nutritional information so that people can start building a healthy diet. My own mother-in-law is in the process of doing this.

Are meal replacement programs over-marketed as a money making scheme by many chemists? HELL YEAH, but perhaps we need to start a new thread on the predatory nature of the entire weight loss industry if we're going to target that one! :lol:
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Janeyc1983 » Fri May 15, 2009 1:59 pm

thank you Evil Wombat queen...

I think we all agree everyone has a method that works for them and it's good because not everyone will be able to follow the same weight loss strategy.

I am not planning to do the shakes for the rest of my life, merely trying them for a 2-3 week period and seeing how I go, most likely I will end up back on my high protein, low carb, lots of vegies diet that has worked for me before (including helping me lose 5 kilos so far).
Highest weight: 76kg
SW: 75 kg (September 2008)
CW: 69kg (26 May 2009)
GW: 64kg <_---------------------------- **
YAY - in the 60's!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wKecLuP/]
[/url]
Janeyc1983

Postby court » Fri May 15, 2009 2:19 pm

good luck to all of you :D seriously lets just all concentrate on the individual here - what is important is being healthy and happy and if drinking shakes is that - then cool. I copped a bit of flack for starting Jenny Craig too - i.e. "you have done it before on your own why not do it again and not pay someone else". You know what - i feel great right now so those people can shove it :lol:
i find sometimes that tact can be lost when we type and comments can be taken way out of context! Tone of voice is REALLY important in communication! Best wishes guys xo
court

Postby ButterflyAura » Sun May 17, 2009 5:03 pm

Hi there :) i hope this is the right place to put it, in regards to shake diets etc, i was severely injured at work last august, and have been not only in constant pain for 11 months, but immobile, with only the use of one hand ( i cant even cut my own dinner!! :( ) I am only 22 and due to various hospital stays, medications etc and being immobile, i have gained a LOT of weight. I am now up to 144 from 97 :( I have tried to eat healthy throughout all of this, but the weight keeps going up..so, with my drs supervision i will be starting optifast tomorrow. I have tried shake diets before, and initially i did get headaches, nausea, was very tired etc but it does pass :) Im so desperate to get this under control, its one thing less to worrry about right now :) good luck with it :) i will stay around and keep everyone informed, you all seem so amazing :) oh, and i truly bvelieve each to their own weightloss program wise, so if it works for you, stick with it :) this weightloss thing is hard, and if you find something YOU are happy with and you can stick to, then more power to you :) xxx
ButterflyAura

Postby BBgal » Sun May 17, 2009 5:52 pm

I think that was very well said Butterfly aura.
SW: 99.9kg ( how close was that to triple digits) 4/11/08
CW: 72.2kg 20/06/09)
GW: 60kg ( Will re-evaluate then to see if I want lower)
BBgal

Postby taralouise23 » Sat May 23, 2009 1:02 am

the thing with shakes is your not going to be doing them forever and even if they started working and u lost alot of weight and u reached your goal weight
and u go back onto normal fors your body is gonna go hay wire cause it aint use to it, i know some people dont agree with me but thats what i think and i thought id share it just in case, instead of starving your body and making you feel sick why not do something else like weight watchers they are good or checking out the biggest loser website and books they seem to know what they are talking about etc so yeh good luck with the weight loss :D
taralouise23

Postby Amethyst » Sat May 23, 2009 1:26 pm

I don't think any of us are planning on doing weight loss forever. I don't use shakes as I don't think they'll work for me but I am not bagging them out. Shakes are just one solution and I think they're a great start. Why must people bag out something with out knowing about it. Jeez I hate that.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wx5Tquf/]
[/url]
Amethyst

Postby whit3tig3y » Sat May 23, 2009 3:05 pm

i'd like to know why everyone assumes people don't know anythinb about what they're arguing about. who are you to determine what one person knows?

whit3tig3y

Postby Amethyst » Sat May 23, 2009 3:40 pm

It's more the insulting other people's choices I hate.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wx5Tquf/]
[/url]
Amethyst

Postby BBgal » Sat May 23, 2009 10:23 pm

I thought That this was dead and buried? leave it be people some people like them some don't... simple as that. Some people run some people walk... why don't we argue about the differences of that it would make for a nice change.
SW: 99.9kg ( how close was that to triple digits) 4/11/08
CW: 72.2kg 20/06/09)
GW: 60kg ( Will re-evaluate then to see if I want lower)
BBgal

Postby electrongirl » Sun May 24, 2009 8:01 am

In response to the original posters questions about side affects:

I tried TF for a few weeks last year (I think) and I got very sick on them. I had severe headaches and nausea and diarrhea.

I know that the first few days you are supposed to go through a "detox" but I was sick for about 2 weeks on them and I lost days at work and money so I had to stop.

I myself do not like the Shake diets, however I have seen many people get great success from them. I think there may have been ingredients in the shakes that didn't agree with me maybe, I'm not sure.

Also I tend to suffer from hypoglycemia so I need to eat real food or I get very shakey.

The good thing about most of the shake diets is you can try them for a short time and if you don't like them your not stuck in a contract or anything.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby run83 » Sun May 24, 2009 10:06 am

I tried CS once a few years ago for two or so weeks. I had great results on it, but for me, It just wasnt what I wanted to do. Plus, I am a pretty active person, and didnt really feel like my body had enough 'Fuel' to live, if that makes sense.

I guess it just depends on what works for you, and what you are happy with.
Its frustrating that people always think that their chosen method of weightloss is superior.
run83

Previous

Return to Weight loss Talk