It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:36 pm

Free Newsletter

Arms that flap in the wind??? lol

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Arms that flap in the wind??? lol

Postby chubbybubby » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:01 am

This is kind of embarrassing :oops:
My arms are horrible with really saggy skin just up from my arm pits. Im always really embarrassed about it and always wear 3/4 length or long sleeve tops to (mostly lol) cover it. Its always horrible in summer. I use hand weights, and do belly dancing (its meant to tone arms?) and use a firming cream everynight. Does anyone else have this? Have you done anything that helped get rid of it? xxx
chubbybubby

Postby Dolly » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:26 am

From watching biggest loser, they seem to have toned their angel wings to firm upper arms just by lifting dumbbells.
If all else fails after losing the weight I guess there is always surgery :shock:
Dolly

Postby chubbybubby » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:17 pm

thanks :) Ive never tried dumbells and I've been thinking about joing a gym, so maybe I should give that a go.
chubbybubby

Postby Aldebaran » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:33 am

Here's how I'm planning to strengthen my upper body, and have fun at the same time. It's cheaper than Gym membership and available for more extended hours.

I bought a kayak off Ebay for less than a year's subscription cost to a gym. We have a nice smooth river near where I live on weekdays, and I'm planning to take it for a spin after work each day. Hopefully all that paddling should start to tighten up the upper body muscles.
Aldebaran

Postby KimE » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:30 pm

Good on you Jim what a great idea.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Dolly » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:16 pm

I like the kayak idea to tighten flabby arms. With my luck I'd probably find some rapids and go over a waterfall.
Please make sure you practice the full roll thingy rafters do Jim, we don't want you trapped under water :shock:
Dolly

Postby Peppy » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:06 pm

Do push ups the exercises it will strengthen your muscles and tone them up . Swimming does help as well . :wink:
Peppy

Postby Mandie » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:53 pm

The main muscle at the back of your upper arms is called the triceps. The best exercises you can do to tone this muscle are tricep pushups, or tricep dips, or tricep kick backs if you have a weight.

Tricep pushups : Like ordinary pushups, but put your hands directly under your shoulders with your fingers pointing out in front of you (it will feel really weird). You can do them on your knees, try to keep your pelvis flat and your bottom down but if you cant, just get as much weight forward onto your arms as you can handle and go down as far as you can. They are really hard (especially at first!) and you should feel it down the back of your upper arm if you are doing it correctly.

Tricep dips : Find a bench, sit on it with your feet flat on the floor, pointing forward and about shoulder width apart. Put your hands down on either side of you with your fingers curled over the side of the bench. Lift your bottom off the bench and lower it down in front of the bench, and then lift up (but dont sit back on the bench!) and go down again. Try to do 20 reps, but this is pretty hard when you are starting out. You should have your weight on your arms, and that's where you should be feeling the burn!

Tricep kickbacks : If you have some weights, you can try this one. You kneel on all fours and grasp a weight (you could use a can of baked beans or sometihng) in one hand. Pull that arm in by your side, with your elbow right in at your side. Moving the lower part of your arm, and keeping your elbow still, extend your arm straight back bringing your hand towards your feet. Repeat. Again, you should feel it in your upper arm. Don't forget to do the other side too!

Hope that helped a bit. My descriptions are a little dodgy, but maybe google them and see if you can find some videos or something. Or, join a gym, and ask one of the staff to show you these exercises.

Good luck!
Mandie

Return to Weight loss Talk