It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:14 am

Free Newsletter

Giving up coffee - so hard!

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Giving up coffee - so hard!

Postby Gordz » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:39 am

great post kate. welcome to the forums =)
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Start date: 12/8/2013
Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby sophia9 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:37 pm

excess of everything bad but just one cup of coffee in morning don't hurt your health.

Regards
Sophia alliee
Last edited by Shalimar on Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited due to spam- again.
sophia9

Postby fi_112 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:42 pm

coke zero is my version of coffee.. and pretty sure it's a sh*tload worse for u haha
To wish you were someone else is to waste the person you are
fi_112

Postby Gordz » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:20 pm

i'll agree with that Fi!!! after all it doesn't come from a plant, lol...
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby fi_112 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:41 pm

and at least coffee speeds up ur metabolism doesn't it?
To wish you were someone else is to waste the person you are
fi_112

Postby Gordz » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:45 pm

i'll have to wiki that.... if it's true then i'm drinking some serious coffee tomorrow... i'm working on getting my motabolism running faster than i am
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby [email protected] » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:43 am

I don't want to be a party pooper! Here is something to think about when trying to lose weight.

Counterproductive Caffeine and Coffee

Is it a challenge to get through the day without a coffee? Do you feel the need to have a hit of Java to get going or to keep going when you need a quick pick-me-up?

Enter the world of human physiology counter productivity…..Not staying “Milieu interieur”

A typical morning in a workplace……people arrive and then make a run for the coffee shop and sometimes a nicely toasted slice of banana bread to go with it…..an hour or so passes and it’s someone’s shout for a mid morning brew. Before you know it is lunch time and another cup has found its way to your lips.

How the body works, simple form:

Our body is in a constant state of activity. When we are at work our brain is working overtime with everything that is going on in the day. This super activity cannot be sustained for very long and the brain starts to reallocate energy to other areas. This is why we start to lose focus, yawn (brain trying to catch up) and concentration diminishes. Every hour or so you should take a break and let the brain refresh and rejuvenate. Simply zone out and do something less taxing.

So what do we do? Instead of giving our central nervous system the time it NEEDS to recover and relax, we EXCITE and stimulate every last neuron by grabbing a cup of coffee or some other source of caffeine.

Counterproductive.

Caffeine decreases carbohydrate tolerance and acute insulin sensitivity; this is a problem if you have a carbohydrate breakfast and include coffee with that breakfast. Combining a carbohydrate meal with a caffeinated beverage is not a great combination. And essentially it’s another reason why the typical banana bread and coffee breakfast is making people fat.

Caffeine acutely affects insulin sensitivity, which means your body will have to shell out more insulin to deal with carbohydrates, which in turn inhibits hormone-sensitive lipase. Hormone-sensitive lipase is the key enzyme in the mobilisation of fatty acids from adipose tissue. When the body cannot convert the carbohydrates it has just consumed to energy it will it will store it for later use. If you constantly repeat this process of insulin release, the stored fat will never be converted to energy and the cycle continues….

Then there's the effects of Caffeine on the Adrenal Glands which results in Adrenal Fatigue amongst other things....an entire other article.

Remember, your social coffees/tea is loaded with calories with no nutritional benefits. Make an informed choice when you drink beverages. For health benefits Green Tea is another substitute or drink herbal tea which has no caffeine or tannin.

Sure coffee tastes great and makes us feel better, but at what cost???

Let the bashing commence!!! :D

Reference
Forced Results Nutrition Clean Up. 2009
Dane Simmonds & Cherie Cowin
[email protected]

Postby Gordz » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:57 am

mmmmm i feel like banana bread! did anyone else yawn when they read the word yawn? or when they just read this? :twisted: omg thats so wierd.

so in keeping with those statements dane, if you're consuming bugger all carbs, coffee can possibly be a good thing?
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby [email protected] » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:07 am

Gordz,

Coffee/Caffein is a great stimulant for pre-exercise activity but you must exercise to get the benefit of its uses. I have a quick black brew before working out as it gives me a great burst of energy. I don't have any carbs and my body is using its stored fat as an energy source. I have my carbs and protein post exercise although caffeine does remain in the system longer than I can hold out for food. It is a balance of all good and bad things. If trying to lose weight maybe shut off the caffeine and carbs until at a manageable weight.

The problem is most people have a coffee with food, keep them seperate and enjoy both. :D

Dane
[email protected]

Postby court » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:22 am

Thanks Dane! I will keep it in mind! :D I might have a skim flat white three times a week and generally dont eat anything with it as it is a snack for me on its own! I sip green tea instead to warm me up when I get to work and I cant feel my hands from the bike ride :wink:
court

Postby Gordz » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:39 am

water it is
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby [email protected] » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:58 am

Gordz,

We have used a number of stimulants, natural and synthetic to assist with fat loss. There is no magic pill but there are some real good ways to help kick start the body into losing fat instead of muscle.

Caffeine does speed up the metabolism but the body will become tolerent of its effect after a couple of weeks and the metabolism will return to its idle state.

Water and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice will bring the body into an alkaline state.

Dane
[email protected]

Postby BBgal » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:12 pm

What does the Alkaline state do? I have a green tea with lemon in it 3 times a day cos I heard it was good for digestion.
SW: 99.9kg ( how close was that to triple digits) 4/11/08
CW: 72.2kg 20/06/09)
GW: 60kg ( Will re-evaluate then to see if I want lower)
BBgal

Postby [email protected] » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:31 pm

BBgal,

That is whole new thread and can be complex in the pro's and con's. In short our blood is slightly alkaline, with a normal pH level of between 7.35 and 7.45. When we consume too many acidic foods our body restores equilibrium by sacrificing other essential minerals. Although lemon is acidic, when digested it actually becomes alkaline (long story). There still needs to be a lot of research into this theory of an alkaline state but it makes sense to keep the balance.

Dane
[email protected]

PreviousNext

Return to Weight loss Talk