It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:56 am

Free Newsletter

I feel like a failure :(

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

I feel like a failure :(

Postby Unicorn » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:16 pm

Hi everyone!

I have been working on my healthier lifestyle for almost 10 months now. But I began to get really serious 2 months ago. In the past 6 weeks my exercise routines have been ramped up to a fantastic mix if cardio and core stability exercises, aswell as weight training. I have been using Calorie king to monitor my eating and make sure I keep myself on track.

But I have hit a plateau and have been in the same place on the scales for 3 weeks now :( I have worked so hard at keeping myself motivated and on track. But all I have lost is cms and not kilos :(

Does anyone have any advice at all, I feel like I am losing my drive because I am so disappointed :(

Thanks
April 2009 I ramped up my weightloss efforts. April 2010 = Sexy Mumma!
Unicorn

Re: I feel like a failure :(

Postby court » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:21 pm

Wow 10 months that is an achievement in itself Unicorn!! How good must your insides be!!! You really musnt look at it as a number on the scales...how do you feeeelll?? Absolutely amazing i bet?!
Can you post your stats? What exercise have you been doing? What weight have you lost etc?
court

Postby Gordz » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:36 pm

what is weight if you're losing cms? I bet you're mostly replacing 2x fat with 1x muscle
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Start date: 12/8/2013
Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby Unicorn » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:49 pm

I started my weightloss journey when I gave birth to my son, I was 124 kilos then :( and I do not ever want to go back to that.

I am currently sitting on 100kilos dead flat, 4 weeks ago before my exercise increased I dropped to 99.5 but then it went back to 100 and hasn't moved. To start with I was happy that I was able to maintain the 100 without gaining anymore, but now 3 weeks later I just want it to go down.

My doctor has been really pleased that I have managed to lose my weight at a good rate that wasn't too fast.

Court I am feeling amazing and I can see my skin is clearer and my waist is getting smaller, it's just those darn stupid scales that are doing my head in :(

I do a 30 minute workout that contains bicep curls, shoulder raises, all sorts of lunges and it is not easy but I feel great afterwards and I actually don't mind the muscle pain! LOL I do this one for 2 days then have a day break consistantly. Then on the day inbetween I do 30 minutes on my cross trainer. I also have a wii fit and use it everyday for yoga and step classes/boxing and all the other little aerobic games. I do this at night every night for at least 30 minutes.

I was so positive and determined, until those scales kept showing me things I didn't want to see.
Unicorn

Postby Gordz » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:00 pm

try something more aerobic uni... you're doing alot of muscle and stretching excercises, but not much aerobic. aerobic excercise is really only benifical after 20 minutes, so 30 minutes on wiifit isn't getting your heart rate up high enough or long enough. Maybe try swimming, jogging, brisk walking or cycling for 2 weeks and let me know how you go?
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby Unicorn » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:13 pm

Thanks Gordz,

I will have a look at my local pools, how long should I try and do for each session ?
Unicorn

Postby Gordz » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:22 pm

depends how good you are at swimming =) i'm a pretty useless swimmer, but even messing around in a pool will work you hard, especially if you stay in the deep end! Basically aim for over 30 minutes with an elevated oxygen and heart rate
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby Unicorn » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:28 pm

Thanks so much for your replies :)
Unicorn

Postby court » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:28 pm

x trainer is great - i used a x trainer and walked everywhere and lost 17kgs...try not to go too high impact with running or anything too soon cos you might end up with shin splints...OW!

with swimming, anything is good! I used to love a kickboard for a bit then mixing it up and doing some freestyle. If you can find an AQUA class at your local pool that would be great!
court

Postby Gordz » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:30 pm

shin splints... been there done that. the mind hadn't come to terms i was 136kg so i went out far too hard and only lasted 4 days until i could barely walk for a week. Cycling and swimming, great start, low impact.
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby Unicorn » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:31 pm

Wow that's great Court! How long do you use your cross trainer for?
Unicorn

Postby court » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:57 pm

I gave it to my sis cos i really just used it to lose the first bit of weight cos i couldnt do anything high impact with my shins/knees...but i would do about 30mins from memory and then some floor stuff with a med ball!! X trainer is a GREAT workout! She needs it more than i do nowadays ;)
That being said i might take it back soon cos i am turning my garage into a gym :lol:
court

Postby [email protected] » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:56 pm

Unicorn,

Sounds like a classic plateau, but don't worry easy to resolve and get the fat burning going again.

Firstly the scales are just a guide and not a very good one. Use a mirror or judge yourself in clothes ask an honest friend (one not shy to critisise) to be your accountability partner.

Look at your training program and see what you can do to change things, mix it up a bit.

I am happy to suggest a few things but would need to know your eating plan and times of the day. Plus your current training and times of the day.

Dane
[email protected]

Postby Unicorn » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:16 pm

Hi Dane,

Thanks for your reply.

My eating plan consists of a small bowl of muesli and banana or two slices of rye toast with a warm drink for breakfast.

Morning tea , if I eat anything is just some fruit usually an apple or orange.

Lunch, I have a salad of greens (lettuce, cucumber, avocado, celery, capsicum) with either a small tin of tuna or small chicken breast grilled. Some days I will have a simple cheese and salad sandwich on rye bread.

Afternoon tea, is either yoghurt, fruit or some cheese and crackers.

Dinner can be anything LOL, I have two toddlers and usually cook for all of us and my husband. But I make sure I add up my calories on CK and watch my portion size.

Most of my exercise I have to fit in around my children. I have been doing 30 minutes in the morning before they wake and then 30 minutes in the evening after they go to bed.

Hope this helps.

Thank you
Unicorn

Postby [email protected] » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:21 pm

Unicorn,

Just to let you know, what I suggest may need to be adjusted after a week or two. We will start with the morning. As soon as you wake up have a small glass of water. On an empty stomach do some cardio work, try to increase the intensity each and every time. Not sure of your age but try to get into the fat burning zone which is around 60-70% of your sub max heart rate. No weights in the morning, just cardio work.

Your breakfast is fine but you need to add some protein. Eggs would be ideal and organic if available.

Morning tea, drop the fruit for a few weeks and add nuts, such as almonds or macadamias. If almonds with the husk soak overnight or get blanched. These should be raw nuts. Maybe 20 grams of each.

Lunch - All good just add a little more tuna and chicken. Don't be shy on protein (there is a reason)

Afernoon tea - Yogurt can be the downfall for a lot of people, depending on the type. Have a look at the sugar content. I would skip the yogurt and just have the cheese and crackers. Make sure the craker are no or low salt (salt holds fluid in the body)

Here is where you need to train with weights. You body is fuelled has carbs and protein for everything you need to do. I know it is hard with the kids but do your best to get a session in around this time.

Dinner - Portion control is important - go for high fibre and good quality protein. No carbs!!!! Chicken, Salmon, Turkey and lean red meats.

If you want put in another cardio session here or just do some stretching or self awareness thoughts. Visualise you body in the making and think "What can I do tomorrow to get me closer to my goal"

If you need to snack before bed. Protein only, very important you have no carbs after your weight session. Hydrate before bed.

Tips. Don't drink anything 30 minutes prior to eating or after eating. Fluids dilute stomach acids which aid digestion.

Do this for two weeks and see how you go.

Dane :D
[email protected]

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk