When you’re eating right for your body every day it pays to mix things up now and then. A carefully planned cheat meal increases your body’s ability to oxidize branch chain amino acids (important for maintaining muscle tissue and keeping food stored in your muscles rather than as fat) causing a metabolic reaction that has you burning fat faster for at least 48 hours afterwards.
Here's how you should do it:
* A cheat meal is a meal, not an evening. Or a day.
* This means that you need to decide in advance what you’re going to eat, put it on the table, and enjoy. But once that booty leaves the chair, it’s over. No heading to the cupboard for sneaky treats (which probably shouldn’t be stored there anyway!) once the food has settled.
* You can’t eat your cheat meal until you’ve consumed 100grams of animal protein. No ifs, no buts. (This ramps up your metabolism and stops you storing all the cheat food as fat)
* If you go too crazy, it’s entirely possible to undo a week of good eating in one night. Be smart about your cheats. Don’t stuff yourself till you can’t move, and always include some form of fats to slow down digestion. Cheese or cream-based pastas are better than tomato-based. Chocolate almonds are better than sugar candies. Ice-cream is better than sorbet.
* Once the meal is over, it’s over! And that’s it for at least 6 more days.
Oh - and it should go without saying that a cheat meal only works if you’ve been eating clean the rest of the week. And I mean completely. Happy cheating!!