It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:57 am

Free Newsletter

MY JOURNAL...... Thanks to all of you x x x

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

MY JOURNAL...... Thanks to all of you x x x

Postby GayleMarie » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:29 pm

Hello everyone, first off.... I am 39 years old.....5 foot 2 &.... 95 kilos...(cringes).

Well this is it, for the past few days I have been reading lots & lots of posts on many of your journeys...I have laughed, I have cried, I have sympathized but most of all I have related to most of your stories & emotions & it has given me the motivation , inspiration & determination to have another go at taking control of my weight issues, & I am a very excited for the journey & feel like I have it in me now to give it my all. I am excitted that I am taking control of my life for the better. I am also a little sad, because I have to say goodbye to my comfort friend who was always there for me, in times of sadness, happiness, stress, contentment, (everything really), now I have to make a new friend in excercise. We will start of enemies, but I am sure I will learn to like it. Then there is the feeling of fear ....the fear of failure, the fear of platuea's, the fear of giving up. But right now, right at this moment (I, my friends, am in the ZONE) last night I walked for 1 hour & loved it. (though I do go for walk regulary anyway). I am going to do the wee fit every night because I enjoy that also. I am also going to take my 2 little girls to swimming lessons & after they have had their lesson, my mum is going to mind them while I swim then do a session in the gym. My biggest fear with this is the fact that people will see my body when I get in the pool, though I will have a huge tshirt on. I am also going to dance to music a couple of time a week & just push myself to do it even when I am buggered from running around after the kids all day.

10 Things that I am looking forwald to are....1. Not having a really bad back & foot....2. Feeling fit & Healthy......3. Looking how I imagine myself to be.......4.changing a bad habit & stopping it from being passed down from generation to generation.....5.wearing nice flattering clothes (instead of hide the fat rolls clothes LOL).....6.raising my kids to appreciate good healthy food, the importance of fitness (and to enjoy it) and eating in moderation....7.being agile & energetic with my kids.....8.conquering my demonds.....9.gaining control of my life & being more possitive.......10. being proud of myself. Wow to read it back gives me such inspiration.

Could all you wonderful people please send me posts explaining to me how you achieved such motivation with your weight loss, & how you are succeeding at it & how it is changing you life for the better now. I would love to hear you stories, I know it will give me the motivation to keep on the right track.

Good luck to us all
Take care
Love Gayle x x x
GayleMarie

Re: MY JOURNAL...... Thanks to all of you x x x

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:12 am

You asked for it :P

Motivation schmotivation. Motivation varies - you can't maintain that intial gung-ho attitude forever, you just physically can't. For me it was about making conscious choices and getting into a healthy habit then once the habit is in place, even on a bad day when you feel like censored and it's raining outside and the dog just up-chucked on the floor or whatever, you're more likely to go for that walk than grab a chocolate.

Then it's a matter of monitoring your progress and being honest with yourself. No excuses. It's so easy and common to justify why you need that cheeseburger (I mean, hey, I just walked in from the far side of the carpark - I deserve a treat, right?) or why you don't have to go to the gym (I'm tired from work, and I must have walked at least 5 meters to the photocopier today anyway).

I'm being just a little silly there, but they really are the sorts of things I used to tell myself before I cut the bull and faced up to the fact that I was choosing what to put in my mouth and choosing not to do any meaningful exercise (for pretty silly reasons, like, "but people will see me!" *gasp*) and therefore what landed on my hips. For me it was about changing my whole life to a healthier way of being, plain and simple.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby funstopper » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:26 am

Hi GayleMarie,

I am also new here and am taking a similar journey, I haven't yet made any great plans such as yourself regarding exercise etc but sounds like you have a great plan in place...good on you. My first goal is just to get myself weighed, I don't have a set of scales that will weigh me at home (they only go to 100kg and obviously much to my horror I am heavier than that) but I have been to our district health nurse and she weighed me, today I am going back to find out that number and face my demons, I was too scared to find out what I weighed yesterday when I was there (I actually made her promise not to tell me).

Anyways, good luck and I'm hoping we might continue to discuss our journeys together and become forum buddies.

Funstopper

P.S. You can read my very long story in the introductions section titled A Journey.
FunStopper
Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did

funstopper

Postby fi_112 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:34 pm

I stay motivated by looking at pictures of fit, curvy girls, setting them as my background on my lap top etc. I also focus on one part of me, e.g.my abs, and when I'm working out doing cardio I think of my abs becoming more defined and my body more streamlined. Just makes me work a bit harder.

GOOD LUCK - you sound v determined :) x
To wish you were someone else is to waste the person you are
fi_112

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:59 pm

Fantastic first post, GayleMarie. Don't worry about whether people are looking at your body at the pool or not. Chances are they're too busy swimming, or too busy feeling insecure about their own bodies, to give two hoots about what you look like!

I have a sore back and sore feet as well, so I can sympathise with that being a reason to want to lose weight. I was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis about three years ago. I was told by my GP that losing weight would help fix the problem, but there was the catch-22 that you need exercise to lose weight, and the PF meant it was very difficult to exercise! Good luck with your weight loss and I hope that it helps fix your feet and back. The good news is that my feet are almost better now, so weight loss certainly helps!

Butterfly Dawn is right that motivation varies constantly. You can't expect yourself to be 100% gung ho every minute of the rest of your life! When I started on my weight loss journey my motivation was to no longer look like the bloody photos that were taken at my sister's wedding. I cried because I hadn't realised how big I'd gotten until then. As I started to lose weight my success helped fuel my determination - if I'd lost three kilos so far it was proof that I could lose another three kilos. Motivation also came from the fact that I'd started to enjoy eating healthy food, preferring salads over fatty foods, and that I was enjoying the exercise I could do. As I've been getting closer to goal my body feels better than it has in years. I'm noticing how much better I look and feel for every kilo that comes off. The idea of abusing my body by gaining weight again horrifies me. Being at my goal weight is becoming more of a reality and I can feel what it will be like to get there!

When my mojo buggers off I have to use other methods to motivate myself. The most successful one I've found is to fake it 'til you make it. If I don't feel like going out for a walk I force myself to do it in small increments. Just get your exercise gear on. Just step out the door. Just walk to the corner... pretty soon I'm happy to start running. And I use constant positive reinforcement to tell my subconscious how much I am loving exercise. I talk to myself in my head about how FANTASTIC exercise is, and how much I love it! And if all else fails I ask myself 'If I were to magically become a size 10 if I run another hundred metres/don't eat that biscuit/avoid that alcohol could I do it?'. The answer is always HELL YEAH! So I tell myself that if I do that good thing I WILL magically lose the rest of my excess weight all at once. Not once have I looked back afterwards and thought, "You know what. Since I didn't shrink to a size 10 immediately I think that was a waste of time".

Good luck! I look forward to reading about your weight loss journey, GayleMarie. :D
EvilWombatQueen

Return to Weight loss Talk