It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:55 am

Free Newsletter

Weight Loss Survey

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Weight Loss Survey

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:06 pm

Jave_Junkie wrote:While on your ‘Journey’ to lose weight what have you found personally to be the hardest thing to get passed initially? And what has continued to be a major difficulty/stumbling block?

Initially my biggest stumbling block was the expectation of immediate results. If I was going to suffer to lose weight (and trust me, it felt like suffering at the start!) it seemed unfair that immediate denial wasn't followed by immediate results. Of course it was this reliance on immediate gratification that lead to my gaining the weight in the first place, so it wasn't surprising that it followed me into my weight loss journey!

Now that I've become accustomed to the long hard slog my continued stumbling block is alcohol. I really like a red wine or three in the evening, but alcohol severely impacts weight loss. So I've had to bite the bullet over the last few weeks and try to go completely without. It's been hard, but it's worth it!

Another stumbling block is that all the bad habits that caused me to gain weight in the first place are still there in the back of my mind (alcohol included). It's so easy to slip back into old patterns of behaviour and think that a packet of chips won't matter... or a bottle of wine... or a block of chocolate. And soon you're consuming all three at once and wondering why you're stacking the weight back on again!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Jave_Junkie » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:35 pm

do you think personally that it does come down to a case of 'mind over matter' when it comes to getting past these continual trials and tribulations?
Jave_Junkie

Postby Miss Jo » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:36 pm

OMG Ali - you summed it up perfectly!
1st GW: 64kg
Final GW: 60kg

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:44 pm

Jave_Junkie wrote:do you think personally that it does come down to a case of 'mind over matter' when it comes to getting past these continual trials and tribulations?

Yes... but with qualifications. When it comes to human behaviour I think everything comes down to 'mind over matter', the question is what mind are you talking about? Do you mean the conscious mind or our unconscious/subconscious mind? Of the two the unconscious mind is far more powerful as it controls our habits, our instinctive behaviour and our conditioned responses to situations. Determination definitely plays a role, but it can only go so far. Eventually you get exhausted trying to fight your conditioned responses. My conscious mind may be telling me to eat the salad, but years of conditioning may cause my unconscious mind to tell me to grab some Tim Tams instead because I've had a hard day! I think it's a matter of training your unconscious mind to stop sabotaging you more than telling your conscious mind to be stronger. Changing those subconscious motivators is a more effective way of tackling weight loss long term.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Jave_Junkie » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:38 pm

what do you think was your breaking moment when you just said "im going to loose this weight"? and why?
Jave_Junkie

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:47 pm

My breaking moment is still etched in my memory.

It was after my sister's wedding. I'd really gone out of my way to make sure I looked fabulous for the event as it was formal dress. I made a satin overbust corset, bought a gorgeous long satin skirt, had a pretty hair fascinator and even bought some slimming underwear to look my best. I met up with my sister and mum a few weeks later to see the photos. I was horrified. I just wanted to run away and cry. I had no idea I'd gained so much weight over the years. I thought I looked elegant that evening, but in those photos I saw a fat girl in fancy dress making a fool of herself.

I went home and didn't eat for the rest of the day, I hated myself and my body so much. The next day, however, I shook myself out of it. I was still upset and depressed, but I knew that if I was going to lose the weight I had to do it sensibly. Soon after I enrolled in Weight Watchers and began my weight loss journey.

I've lost nearly all the weight I need to lose to get to a healthy size, but I'm still getting over my fear of cameras since that day!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Jave_Junkie » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:09 pm

Have the changes you have seen physically changed how you feel about yourself mentally? or is that something else you will have to work on?
Jave_Junkie

Postby Jave_Junkie » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:41 pm

If you would prefer to answer the questions privatly feel free to PM me and i will send you the questions so that you can awnswer them for me.
I would really appreciate it.
xxx Jess.
Jave_Junkie

Postby Orien » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:11 pm

completed, hope it helps.
Orien

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:20 am

Jave_Junkie wrote:Have the changes you have seen physically changed how you feel about yourself mentally? or is that something else you will have to work on?

That's a tough one. I feel happier about myself, sure, but I wasn't unhappy with myself until I saw those damned wedding pics! I feel happier about my physical appearance, but aside from that there hasn't been much change. I've always been confident with a good self-esteem and it's no different now. I just like looking in the mirror more! :lol:
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Jave_Junkie » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:20 am

What have you found to be the better weight loss method for you personally through out your 'Journey'? and why?
Jave_Junkie

Postby Molly » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:49 pm

I took your survey hope it helps

Molly

Previous

Return to Weight loss Talk