It is currently Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:09 am

Free Newsletter

Does anyone else suffer?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Does anyone else suffer?

Postby katieap » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:42 pm

Do you have any information about different treatment options?

Over the past few years I’ve had a dramatic increase in weight.

For the last few years I’ve been on an emotional roller-coaster. My weight crept up and I constantly felt exhausted and miserable. I assumed these changes were all linked with menopause, but years after the life change I still felt depressed. I slept for 9 hours most night, but seemed to wake up exhausted and often dozed off when watching TV or reading a book. I didn’t have the energy to enjoy playing with my grandchildren, which only added to my guilt. I was constantly on the brink of tears and would snap over almost anything my husband said or did. My doctor had prescribed anti-depressants, but while it levelled my moods, the tiredness didn’t go away. After a frustrating few years I found I was suffering from sleep apnea which was one of the main reasons i was feeling depressed. I was put on CPAP treatment and the change was incredible. I feel so much happier and my family says it’s like they have the ‘old’ me back again.

Re: Does anyone else suffer?

Postby soniad » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:20 am

Hi Katie,

it's great that you're feeling much better. Has your weight management improved since you have addressed the sleep apnea? Lack of sleep (or poor quality sleep in your case) is one of the biggest contributors to weight gain, because it causes changes in hormone levels. Cortisol is a hormone that plays a big part in regulating metabolism of sugar, protein, fat, minerals and water. Physical or emotional stress raises cortisol levels, and so can lack of sleep. Also, not getting enough(good quality) sleep causes insulin resistance. Since insulin not only controls blood sugar, but also promotes fat storage, extra insulin makes weight loss even more difficult.

Moe obviously, when we don’t get enough sleep, this can really affect our behaviour. The foods we crave the most when we feel low on energy are often sweets or refined carbohydrates with low nutrient density. And when we’re sleep deprived, we’re often too tired to exercise. Or even if we do drag ourselves to the gym, we might workout less intensely than usual.

As you probably already know, menopause can cause huge changes in terms of metabolism and fat storage. You tend to store fat around the middle and you might have found that even though you haven't changed your eating, you have still gained weight. So it might be worth looking at what you're eating. Are you eating enough complete protein? Do you eat a lot of pasta and bread? Some people don't metabolise grains very well and menopause can cause fickle changes in your body's ability to process certain foods.

Return to Weight loss Talk