It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:37 am

Free Newsletter

Think Slim?? Lap Band?? Your advice/help please!!

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Think Slim?? Lap Band?? Your advice/help please!!

Postby Orien » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:21 pm

Hi All, this is my first post... currently fat & very miserable. I have tried every diet out there...There are only two things I haven't tried. ThinkSlim and Surgery (thinking lap band?). Am currently looking into both. I would welcome any comments on either the Think Slim (have you tried it, did it work, was it helpful?) and Surgery (have you had surgery, did it work?). Please share your experience / advice. I feel like I am out of options.... :(
Orien

Re: Think Slim?? Lap Band?? Your advice/help please!!

Postby Jaded » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:45 pm

I know two people in my family who have had lap band surgery, they both lost weight and look great but I think diet and exercise needs to change as well as the quick fix method not just for the sake of weight loss but also for the sake of better health :D
54kgs, goal 50kgs
Jaded

Postby Carley » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:41 pm

It really depends on how much you have to lose, that will give us a better idea and a better answer. Maybe you went into the diets looking for a quick fix? For losing weight what have you changed to reach your goal? Have a look at what you are eating, when you are eating it, how much you are eating. Look at drinks, sugars are adding. What kind of pasta, bread and rice do you eat? Fruits, vegetables? What kind of milk? Do you drink enough water? Are there medical problems preventing you from losing weight? I hope you do not mind me asking :)
Goal for 2016:
Current weight: 94 kilos
Starting weight: 102.5 kilos
Goal #1: 92 kilos
Carley

Postby Czarina » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:42 pm

Try http://www.calorieking.com.au, it's more about a lifestyle change and not a fad diet. I find it really easy to stick and it teaches you a lot about nutrition and how to maintain after you have lost the weight, as well. It is free and a lot safer than surgery! :D
Czarina

Postby Carley » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:47 pm

Czarina wrote:Try http://www.calorieking.com.au, it's more about a lifestyle change and not a fad diet. I find it really easy to stick and it teaches you a lot about nutrition and how to maintain after you have lost the weight, as well. It is free and a lot safer than surgery! :D

I need to learn how to use that site though I'm too lazy to count calories :oops:
Goal for 2016:
Carley

Postby Jaded » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:49 pm

I don't count calories, I just *try* to make better choices :lol:
54kgs, goal 50kgs
Jaded

Postby Czarina » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:52 pm

I used to think that counting calories would be too much of a pain in the neck, but I got used to it very quickly. The CK online food diary makes it pretty easy. I just love knowing that if I stick to my calories, I WILL lose weight, it takes all the guess work and worry out of it for me. :D
Czarina

Postby Jisgone » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:44 pm

Im ok the CK bandwagon too :)
Currently trying to convince myself that I can eat as much as they tell me to and still lose weight
Jisgone

Postby Czarina » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:51 pm

Jewles wrote:Im ok the CK bandwagon too :)
Currently trying to convince myself that I can eat as much as they tell me to and still lose weight

I know what it's like, at first I couldn't believe it! My boyfriend convinced me to humour him and try eating all of my calories for a couple of weeks, now here I am a year and a half later and I've gone from very obese, to well within the healthy weight range...CK works. :mrgreen:
Czarina

Postby Carley » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:56 pm

Jaded wrote:I don't count calories, I just *try* to make better choices :lol:

Same here, I do not believe calories were created equal. I eat a lot of veggie sticks and fruits as snacks which are low in calories. So I look like i'm always eating (probably am) but I'm eating the right foods.
Goal for 2016:
Carley

Postby Orien » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:02 pm

Carley wrote:It really depends on how much you have to lose, that will give us a better idea and a better answer. Maybe you went into the diets looking for a quick fix? For losing weight what have you changed to reach your goal? Have a look at what you are eating, when you are eating it, how much you are eating. Look at drinks, sugars are adding. What kind of pasta, bread and rice do you eat? Fruits, vegetables? What kind of milk? Do you drink enough water? Are there medical problems preventing you from losing weight? I hope you do not mind me asking :)

Hi Carley, I don't mind you asking, thank you for caring enough! I guess that is the frustrating thing... I have come within 7kgs of my goal weight... twice... and put it all back on with interest each time. How crazy is that.... the second time I dropped a massive 47kgs and I swore I wouldn't put it back on again. :shock: I actually wonder if I'm a lost cause. I know how to diet, what I should and shouldn't be eating, how to exercise and when. All the knowledge is there. But for some reason, and this is where I wonder if there is just something wrong with me, sticking to this stuff long enough to lose AND MAINTAIN a healthy weight seems to be beyond me. Perhaps that is why I've started looking outside the square to other options. Would the lap band stop me from going backwards, or would the hypnotherapy thing sort this out? Each day I wake up and feel like I have a massive 40+kg weight on my shoulders. Having put the surgery thing out there, I think I might just be too chicken for that. I went to visit the surgeon, and to be honest the whole thing scares the socks off me. But (Jaded) it's good to know that there are some actual lap band successes out there. CK (Cazarina)... well, that's something I haven't tried. I'll have a peek.
There must be something I'm missing! Has anyone else lost all their weight and put it back on again, or am I the only :oops:
Orien

Return to Weight loss Talk