It is currently Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:02 am

Free Newsletter

Flaxseed Oil (linseed oil)

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Flaxseed Oil (linseed oil)

Postby weightspender » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:49 am

Anyone tried Flaxseed Oil aka linseed oil? I am thinking of buying some for $10 for a bottle. They come in pills?
I have heard great things about it.

Anyone had experience with this? :o

Re: Flaxseed Oil (linseed oil)

Postby soniad » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:41 am

Flaxseed oil is very good for you in so many ways. Not only is it a 'good fat',rich in omega 3s but it is also used as a natural remedy to treat depression and anxiety.

So if you're looking for a good oil, you can't get much better than flaxseed. Don't buy the capsules, get the good stuff from health food stores (organic) and keep it at the temperature required. (usually in the fridge)

You should never heat flaxseed oil as I believe it becomes toxic if you do.You should always have it cold or room temperature.

Re: Flaxseed Oil (linseed oil)

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:15 pm

I agree with Soniad. Liquid form is far better than the capsules. And yes, don't heat it. The oil becomes rancid if you do and tastes bloody awful. Some people love the taste of flaxseed oil and will use it in salad dressings. Others find it doesn't taste very nice (I'm one of them). In that case you can quickly swallow a tablespoon and follow it with a glass of water to wash away the taste, reassured that at least it doesn't taste as bad as cod liver oil! :lol:

If you are a vegetarian then flaxseed oil is the best source of omega 3s. However, if you are not opposed to eating fish then fish oil may suit you better. The type of omega 3 in flaxseed oil is ALA, which the body converts into the forms it needs: EPA and DHA. However the process is inefficient resulting in a conversion rate of 5% to 25%. Fish oil contains EPA and DHA so the body doesn't need to convert it, meaning you would have to consume five times the amount of flaxseed oil to get the same positive effect as fish oil. Fish oils also often contain vitamins D and A, which are very good for you but can become toxic at high levels so keep within recommended doses. Fish oil has been shown to have a positive effect in preventing cardiovascular disease as opposed to flaxseed oil.

Flaxseed oil can have an effect on female hormones, so it's best avoided during pregnancy. However this may make it even more beneficial for post-menopausal women than fish oil.

If you are going to get fish oil tablets make sure you get the very best quality. Pollution in the oceans means that many fish have excess levels of toxins which can go into the fish oil tablets. You want to make sure that your tablets are pollutant free, especially if you are pregnant.

If I weren't vegetarian I'd be taking high-grade fish oil tablets to be perfectly honest. As a vegetarian, though, I take flaxseed oil regularly and find it has a good effect on my levels of concentration and improves my general mood.

Reference list:
Supplement Fish Oil Versus Flax Seed Oil
Women's Health: Omega 3 Fish Oil
The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition: n–3 Fatty acids from fish or fish-oil supplements, but not {alpha}-linolenic acid, benefit cardiovascular disease outcomes in primary- and secondary-prevention studies: a systematic review

Return to Weight loss Talk