It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:22 am

Free Newsletter

Clothes Shopping

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Clothes Shopping

Postby SarahC » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:15 pm

I have to go out tomorrow night to a work function. Problem is that since I have put on weight, none of my clothes fit me anymore :shock: I'm far too scared to try any of them on. I have a favourite pair of black pants, but I'm sure that if I wear them that they'll tear when I sit down, as the material is so fine...

So, looks like I'm hitting the shops tomorrow. The thought of looking at my body in those changing room mirrors is making me feel sick :cry:

How would track suit pants look at a formal dinner... if only the dress code were sports clothes!

And to make matters worse, I've just had a hair cut... or rather, a hair massacre!! This is the first time that I have ever cried after leaving the hairdresser :shock: And now just eaten a whole heap of food as I'm so upset :cry:
SarahC

Postby Mandie » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:54 am

oh no!!! you poor thing... *hugs*

Re: the hair - headbands are SO IN right now. get a cool one, maybe wear some nice jewellery too to distract from it?

Re: the shopping - something that always cheers me up is going into "big girl" shops and trying on things that i know are 2 sizes too big, becuase trying on something too big and having to get a smaller one always makes me feel good.. a silly trick but trust me, it works..

i'd recommend a fantastic wrap dress or something (also very in right now), they tend to suit curvier body shapes and you can use a wide belt to cinch it in at the waist to look amazing..

i'm sure you'll be fine. good luck! hold your head high!

and remember - feel good with music, chatting to friends, dancing (even alone in your house to your favourite music), going for a walk, etc etc.. not gorging on food and making yrouself feel worse!
Mandie

Postby KimE » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:32 pm

Good tips there Mandie.

I know what you mean about dressing room mirrors. What is with those things! I feel like I'm slimming down and starting to get into smaller size clothes and one look in a dressing room mirror just reminds me I have a way to go yet! :lol: Not to mention they have about 3 mirrors in there so you can see yourself from alllllllll angles!
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:59 pm

I know it's too late, but I hope you didn't spend too much money. The one thing that annoyed me about losing weight was having to get rid of all my fave clothes that I might have only worn a couple of times. I still have them sitting in my room in a bag waiting to find a friend to donate them to rather than give them to Vinnies etc to go to a total stranger. At least if a friend wears them I'll get to see them occasionally. :roll: :oops:

Oh and while we're on the subject, for thos epeople who are finding they are losing at a constant and relatively high rate and will therefore go through their clothes relatively quickly (like I did) a good tip is to go vinnies shopping. You can get good stuff for cheap that can tide you over until you get to your goal and can buy expensive new clothes without having to throw them out a month later.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby hushpuppy » Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:39 pm

hi all
i cheat sometimes and buy my clothes through ezibuy which is like mail order . They actually have a whole part dedicated to size 16 and over and they are an okay price and sometimes even have specials if u check their websit for cheaper clothes ( i bought jeans for 25 which were 65$ . u can pay through credit card but i send a money order through when i have some extra left ... u can by decent shirts with 3/4 sleves for 19.99 in generous sizes and colours
I hate clothes shopping so tis eases me into it
have a look at http://www.ezibuy.com.au
Cheers Jules
[url=http://www..com]Image[blinkiebee/url]
SW 107kg
CW 99.8kg
GW 65kg
hushpuppy

Postby Mandie » Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:01 pm

Best thing ever - sell your old "fat" clothes on eBay!
Mandie

Postby SarahC » Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:52 am

Thanks for all the advice :D

It was great... managed to stay happy throughout the shopping experience. I just went into the shops where I know the sizes are very generous, not those "teeny bopper" shops where I would be lucky to fit my left leg into an XL (you know those shops!)

I found a pair of black pants in Sussan that came with a belt that had a big, flat metal disc that sat right on my belly, and flattened it out! Amazing! And a nice big top from Colorado with a matching necklace...

Please don't ask how much I spent though. I refuse to add it up! But I haven't been shopping in over six months so maybe it's okay :)

So I went out looking, well as good as possible under the circumstances... then managed to make a complete idiot of myself by falling down stairs in front of two of my female colleagues! A combination of alcohol, high shoes, and trying to do too many things at once. How embarassing :oops: :oops:
SarahC

Postby Groovychic » Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:04 pm

I'm glad you found something you were comfortable in Sarah. I do hope you enjoyed yourself tho! Its the most important thing.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSt8KHJ/]
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby grugwashere » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:03 pm

ooohhhh its ok, i know it doesnt feel like it but u will be ok... u are gorgeous no matter what anyone says, go for a walk and get ur happy endorphins going:D
joan
grugwashere

Postby SarahC » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:05 pm

Yep, I felt pretty crap! It's a really horrible feeling when you realise that all of your clothes are too small :(

But coming on here helped heaps, and made the whole shopping experience way more bearable. I was even brave enough to try on some dresses... which I would never ever do unless I was at or very close to my minimum weight :shock:

And I'll be able to wear the outfit again this weekend when I go to see Boy From Oz with my family :D

With any luck they'll still look okay after I get rid of some kilos...
SarahC

Postby KimE » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:59 pm

That's great that the shopping wasn't as awful as you thought it might be.

Enjoy the show with your family.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Return to Weight loss Talk