It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:45 pm

Free Newsletter

Please Help

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Please Help

Postby sam v » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:10 pm

I'm about to start a new dieting program, i need discipline... coz i'm so busy at work all the time, I just grab the most unhealthy foods.... on top of all that I just quit smoking so i get cravings to keep nibbling on food and chewing gym constantly...
My cousin has been constantly telling me about those Isowhey shakes that help with dieting and stuff... and I just wanted to know if there are others who've tried it... is it any good... Coz my cousin lost a couple of kilos but then again she is not as heavy as I am...
I heard its all natural ingredients and nutrients... so shouldnt that be good?
so what do you think....

thanx alot guys.. ur input will be much appreciated!!!
sam v

Re: Please Help

Postby Shalimar » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:15 pm

Check out http://www.calorieking.com.au, a few people here have used it with great success and I use it to record my food and exercise. It's well worth the visit and it doesn't cost anything.

SW: 175.0 kgs.
CW: 62 kgs-Hit goal 12 September 2009.
Shalimar

Postby sam v » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:39 pm

thats a great website...
but wut about the isowhey shakes... do they really work for someone who 87 kilos and doesnt move much.... i have a desk job.. n i get home dead tired .. all i think of is going to bed...
sam v

Postby Shalimar » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:00 pm

I'm not a fan of shakes and have never used them so I can't answer that.

I would take real food over shakes any day.

Shalimar

Postby Ollie » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:17 pm

Isowhey shakes can be a really good form of meal replacement that can help you curb a few hunger cravings and keep your body topped up with protein. Tons of people have had a fair bit of success using meal replacements and they can definitely be a part of a good weight loss strategy.

Generally speaking, I wouldn't reccommend replacing more than 1 meal per day with a shake. Good food is usually a better choice because it will help to speed up your metabolism (the digestive effort that your body will make to process the food will burn off a few extra calories). But 1 a day certainly won't hurt.

A few caevats. Check the labels carefully. Many of the shakes are loaded up with sugar and are, more or less, a well branded milkshake. Some are also packed with all sorts of chemicals. Generally the Australian made ones are a little more wholsome.

Hope that helps.

Ollie
Last edited by Shalimar on Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spam removed.
Ollie

Postby Shalimar » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:36 pm

I figured it wouldn't be long :roll: .

Shalimar

Postby onthedecrease » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:48 pm

meal replacements have there place in a diet if thats what you want (depsite what some members think) but the isowhey product is more a protein shake rather than a meal replacement shake I know you can use it as such, I know I wouldnt personally but each to there own.

If you are going to go down the avenue of the meal replacement shakes definatly do your homework on different varieties and find one that suits your own needs.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvgjwLj/]
[/url]
onthedecrease

Postby sam v » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:18 am

thanx guyz.. problem is i do not have time to have breakfast in the morning
and at work i just grab the wrong foods coz i am hungry really hungryyyy and ofcourse i return from work and i am a dead beat... i will be beginnging the isowhey complete shakes tomorrow... i guess its good that they are high in protein ... coz carbs just go to my gut and stay there permanently hahaha... any other last motivational words people?
sam v

Postby Feybie » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:52 am

I think its important to try and find some time for exercise at least a few times a week if you're serious about losing weight. Can you walk to work? Or walk during your lunch hour, or something?

What about on the weekend, can you get up on Saturday morning and just go for walk before you start your day or something? I think without the aid of exercise of some kind, you'll really struggle to lose the weight you want.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wcsBWmS/]
[/url]
Feybie

Postby sam v » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:18 pm

you're v right... i have to do all this together with the isowhy complete shakes.. everything will complement eachother i guess... anyone in with me? i guess my goal for now is 10 kilos.. anyone knows how long that should normally take... ?
sam v

Postby Jisgone » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:36 pm

I think you should do some reasearch on the net about the best ways to lose weight, having protein shakes might not work for you because youll feel like your missing out on a 'real' meal. You need to get motivated, get organised and stop making excuses :) Most of us have jobs and work long hours, you just need to be motivated enough to get up and organise some healthy food to take to work and make some time for exercise. It wont be easy but its worth it.
Jisgone

Postby electrongirl » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:25 pm

You seem to have already made up your mind about the shakes, even though you are on here asking for advice.

Trust us, we have all been through it before and many of us have tried all kinds of different diets.

The only true and tested way to lose weight is eat less bad food and get some exercise.

I have tried a few different shake diets and seriously, they are crap. How long do you want to drink a shake instead of having a real meal? Do you think putting your body through that is healthy? Taking away the proper nutrition? Sure you might lose a few kilos, but you will more than likely gain it back. It's not a long term solution.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby onthedecrease » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:45 pm

i did celebrity slim for 7months now that is a meal replacement shake, isowhey shakes imo should not be used as a meal replacement as there is insufficient energy in them to sustain your body throughout the day. You said that carbs go straight to your gut, thats a bit odd since your body needs a certain amount of carbs to function, carbs fuel the mind. Perhaps your choosing the wrong carbs. Anyway I guess my point is check out the isowhey thoroughly protein shakes arent meal replacements regardless of what they say on the package, they have very different requirements
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvgjwLj/]
[/url]
onthedecrease

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:09 pm

Nikki, meal replacement shakes may not have worked for you but that doesn't mean can't work for someone else. My mother-in-law lost a lot of weight on the Tony Ferguson program and is managing to keep it off. Using meal replacement shakes doesn't necessarily mean the person isn't also going to learn to exercise and eat healthier food. It can be a good kick-start to weight loss for some people, especially people who are very overweight. Everyone is different and different solutions will work for different people.

Sam, please note that one serving of Isowhey shake is only about 100 calories. If you replace two meals per day with them then this would fit the category of a Very Low Calorie diet. These diets really should be undertaken only with medical supervision. Please talk to your GP before you start using Isowhey, especially if you're planning to use them regularly or for an extended period of time. Also be aware that a Very Low Calorie diet will most likely slow your metabolism as your body will believe it is starving. This can make weight loss harder when you come off the shakes. It can also mean that you will lose a higher ratio of fat to muscle than you would on another weight loss plan. The added protein will help with that, but make sure you do lots of muscle building exercise to minimise any muscle loss you may experience.

As OTD pointed out, Isowhey isn't the only meal replacement program out there. Some allow you to eat more 'real' food, and aren't as severely low in calories. It might be worth buying a few single servings of different types of shakes to try out to see which one suits you.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby kristal » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:13 pm

EvilWombatQueen wrote:Nikki, meal replacement shakes may not have worked for you but that doesn't mean can't work for someone else. My mother-in-law lost a lot of weight on the Tony Ferguson program and is managing to keep it off. Using meal replacement shakes doesn't necessarily mean the person isn't also going to learn to exercise and eat healthier food. It can be a good kick-start to weight loss for some people, especially people who are very overweight. Everyone is different and different solutions will work for different people.

I agree. And it is also a matter of finding the right meal replacement diet for you. I did Tony Ferguson about 3 years ago and just couldn't stand it. I hated the taste, I hated the general feel of the diet and I lasted 1 week.

I tried Optislim and once again, just couldn't do it.

I kick started my weight loss in March this year on Celebrity Slim and I loved every minute of it. I lost 5kgs in about 8 weeks (I know it should have been quicker but I did have my naughty moments and attended one wedding per week for about 4 weeks so that just made it extremely hard). But it did work for me, I actually started to really really love the diet and would fully recommend it. I have also kept that weight off since coming on to normal food and just watch my food intake on Calorie King from now.

I think it can't hurt to try these things as long as you have done all the proper research and are confident going into it.
SW - 71 kg
CW - 65 kg
GW - 58 kg
Weight Loss so Far = 6kgs
Weight to go = 7kgs
kristal

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk