It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:23 pm

Free Newsletter

Is anyone using supplements?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Is anyone using supplements?

Postby Feybie » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:35 pm

Just curious, anyone using supplements? (vitamins, protein shakes/powder, meal replacements etc etc). I've never been one for supplements but I'm pretty keen to see results, so I'm willing to try new things.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wcsBWmS/]
[/url]
Feybie

Re: Is anyone using supplements?

Postby onthedecrease » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:17 am

Hi there, Ive just started having a protein shake after every gym session to prevent muscle loss, im also taking a daily multivitamin and green tea tablets which stimulate your metabolism. Hope this helps.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvgjwLj/]
[/url]
onthedecrease

Postby Feybie » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:34 am

What is the general consensus around here on meal replacement shakes?
[/url]
Feybie

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:18 pm

Feybie wrote:What is the general consensus around here on meal replacement shakes?

There really is no general consensus. In fact, the topic of meal replacement shakes is one of the most contentious ones on this forum! Some love them, some hate them. And it depends on if you're talking about meal replacement shakes or protein shakes which are two different things.

If you're going to follow a meal replacement diet my advice would be to do it under the supervision of a health care professional. Some of them are Very Low Calorie diets and can be dangerous if you follow them for too long. Most of the criticism of meal replacements comes from the notion that they don't train you how to keep the weight off through healthy eating and exercise. Most meal replacement systems do in fact have a phase out period where you start re-introducing healthy food according to their instructions. Some allow you to eat 'real' food for most meals from the start, and tell you what you need to eat. If you decide to follow a meal replacement diet then make sure you spend time educating yourself about nutrition and exercise so that you can keep the weight off once you go off the shakes. A lot of people re-gain the weight they lost because they assumed weight loss was the hard part. If anything maintenance is far harder and you need to prepare for it!

Protein shakes, mentioned by OTD in her post, aren't the same as meal replacement shakes They're not really meant to replace meals, but to supplement your existing diet. Protein shakes just concentrate on adding protein to your diet, meal replacement shakes have to add lots of other nutrients so that you can go without other food. Protein shakes are excellent for after weight and resistance work-outs because the extra protein helps you build muscle. Just make sure you're not adding too many calories along with your protein! Some protein bars can be quite high in calories, and I would assume it's the same with the shakes.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby onthedecrease » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:40 pm

EWQ- My protein shake has 89cals per serve and 1.5grams carb which was one of the reasons I chose the brand as I didnt want to be adding unnecessary cals/carbs to my diet :)

Feybie- just on the meal replacement front, I used celebrity slim for about 7months and lost 30plus kg, I learnt a lot about nutrition on cs and all that, Im no longer using them as for my exercise routine I wouldnt get the required energy I need to sustain me and after so long you get to a stage where you cant face another shake. If your looking at going down that avenue, I strongly advise that you do your homework about them so you know what your getting into- i looked at all options before i started and was very prepared.

As EWQ said protein shakes arent meal replacement shakes even the weigh concentrate ones that say they can be used as a meal replacement shake I wouldnt advise it as the cals and carbs are much much much to low to sustain the body. Best of luck and hope this helps some.
[/url]
onthedecrease

Postby court » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:26 pm

OTD which protein do you use? We have all sorts of tubs in our house I think the latest is carb de-lite from GNC... you also need to watch what artificial sweeteners are in them some are a bit dodgy! :shock: I only have one every once in a while but my OH has one at least daily...
court

Postby Feybie » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:22 pm

Thanks for all the great info guys. I'm not actually planning on using meal replacement shakes instead of eating all the time. I'm a very, very busy person and I find that I don't really have anything I can eat on the go (while in the car, walking between classes etc) that isn't completely and totally bad for me. On the mornings where I don't have time to make breakfast between getting from the gym to uni, I was thinking I could drink one of these. There are two nights a week I'm at uni until very late, also, and the only thing you can get to eat on campus is old rotten fruit, or deep fried crap. I dont have access to a fridge where I can store food, so I was thinking in these circumstances where I might miss dinner, I could bring some fruit and have a shake like this.

I actually loathe the idea of replacing all my meals with these shakes, but i've been coming home and eating really late, something else I don't really like.
[/url]
Feybie

Postby onthedecrease » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:43 pm

Feybie in cases where you find your rushed for time, instead of the shakes I would suggest having the Up and Go shakes which are pre-made and just need to be chilled for use, they are nutritionally the same as 2weet bix and milk, there are a range of flavours and taste pretty yum, my fav is banana its about $7 for 6.

Court- its called devine high protein for women, my health shop (go vita) reccomended it and so far very happy with it. I have one during the week after Ive been to the gym.
[/url]
onthedecrease

Postby Feybie » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:49 pm

I've actually tried the Up & Go's before and I have trouble getting them down. I don't like the flavours.
[/url]
Feybie

Return to Weight loss Talk