It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:11 am

Free Newsletter

too many obstacles

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

too many obstacles

Postby mr happy » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:35 pm

I seem to have soooo many obstacles in the way with my want to lose weight. Here is a list of the things i really need to work on,
*Will power.....I am hopeless. Example: If i know theres is chocolate biscuits in the cupboard, i will remind myself at work all night that they are there and that im not going to eat them when i get home at 4am....then when i get home the will power kicks my ass and i eat the biscuits!!!
*My Wife....I love her dearly....but wish she would stop filling the fridge and cupboards with junk food. I know i need to use my own will power, and im working on that, but it would help me greatfull if i didnt have junk food waved infront of me all the time. Even now as i sit here on my computer desk, i can see a packet of potato chips on the kitchen table smiling at me, and half a box of tiny teddy biscuits. (all my daughters)
*Contentment. I am happily married with a beautyiful little girl who is very hard to feed. Because i have become so contenet and settled over the last few years, i find it hard to get motivated to diet. When i use to be a single bloke, being fit and healthy was a prioroty, but now that i have debt, kids to feed, bills to pay being fit and healthy has slipped down in priority quite a bit. I need to work out how to put it back on top.
*Money & Time...Two of the biggest killers for me. My wife is 8 months pregnant and needing a stack of support from me. Also, being on one wage is as tough as buggery.

I want sooooo badly to lose more weight. I have dropped from 137kg to 127kg. I would untimately love to get down to 90kg. My goal at the moment is to drop back down to 100kg, thats what i was in early 2004 after dropping from an original weight of 125kg back then.
I got divorced and dropped 25kg, then got remarried (to a lady i can trust) and put 35kg back on!!!
I feel so out of control with my weight, time, money etc...etc...and am trying desperately to get my life back into control again.
If anybody can offer any suggestions, advice that would be greatly appreciated.
My work hours are 7pm - 4am thursday to sunday which also makes it hard, but i am thankfull they are always the same. Surely i should be able to get some kind of routine happening around them hours!!!
mr happy

Re: too many obstacles

Postby Feybie » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:48 pm

You need a 24hour gym that's open when you finish work at 4am so you can head to the gym for a workout on the way home!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wcsBWmS/]
[/url]
Feybie

Postby mr happy » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:59 pm

Thanks for the quick reply feybie. That would be fantastic, but unfortunately living in a country area i dont have that option. Our gym opens at 6am which would be OK if i was single, but i have a wife and kids to take into consideration. If i stay awake until 7or 8am then go to bed, i end up sleeping most of the day and not helping my wife out.
Plus...theres the money side of things.
Perhaps i could go for a walk every morning when i get home a bit after 4am? Problem is that because of my physically demanding job, im normally pretty stuffed when i knock off.
maybe once i lose a few more KG i wont feel so stuffed after work, then i can start walking when i knock off at 4am. Then as i lose more i can walk more. Im certainly going to work on that one.
Thanks for giving me that idea.
mr happy

Postby sunshine » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:23 pm

I just wanted to wish you all the best. I havent alot of advice for you but wanted to say that you have a positive attitude and that goes a long way to getting you started. Good luck :D
sunshine

Postby mr happy » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:51 am

Thankyou so much sunshine, your nice comment makes me feel welcome. :wink:
After starting this thread i realised that the best thing i could have done was join this site. So many inspirational people and stories. Its a fantastic place to find some much needed inspiration and motivation.
mr happy

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:41 pm

I share some of the same problems, so I'll pass on what tips I can. This advice helped me, so it may be useful for you too.

Will power: Thinking of the biscuits constantly when you're not eating them, only to eat them later.
When you think 'I will not eat the chocolate biscuits' your subconscious mind doesn't hear 'I will not eat...' all it hears is 'CHOCOLATE BISCUITS!' so really, the whole time you're at work you're priming your mind to think of nothing but eating chocolate biscuits! If your mind frets about eating chocolate biscuits it's usually because you've caused a stressful situation where it thinks you will never have them again. You've created a chocolate biscuit famine in your subconscious so of course the primary thing it wants to do is eat as many chocolate biscuits as possible before they vanish from the earth forever! I found a tip from the Gabriel Method helped me with hankerings like that (I highly recommend the book 'The Gabriel Method' for reprogramming your mind to prefer healthy behaviours, by the way). Keep repeating to yourself 'Chocolate biscuits are always there, chocolate biscuits will always be there'.If necessary give yourself permission to eat chocolate biscuits tomorrow. Not tonight, when you get home. It's not like there will be a worldwide chocolate shortage overnight. There are plenty of chocolate biscuits in the world, so there's no rush to eat them right now. If you get home and feel like eating one, just repeat 'chocolate biscuits have always been there, chocolate biscuits will always be there' and tell yourself that you can have one... but not right now. Later. Always later. Because they'll always be there, after all.

My Wife....I love her dearly....but wish she would stop filling the fridge and cupboards with junk food.
This is a tough one. Often our loved ones sabotage our weight loss efforts, accidentally or on purpose. My only tip is to have a heart-felt conversation with her, asking her for her support in your weight loss journey. It's a big thing to ask her to give up her treats because you want to lose weight, but ask her to do it for your sake. After all, having you healthy will be beneficial for your whole family in the long run, so it makes sense for your family to take an active part in your new healthy lifestyle.

Contentment. I am happily married with a beautyiful little girl who is very hard to feed.
It's great that you have a wonderful life. Just keep reminding yourself that losing weight and being healthy will ensure that you have that wonderful life for many more years to come! If necessary tell yourself that you are losing weight for your little girl, not for you. She deserves a healthy role model so she doesn't grow up and become obese herself.

Money & Time...Two of the biggest killers for me.
Can you work more incidental exercise into your day? If you drive to work, park a bit further away so you walk part of the distance. If you can't do that, go out for a brisk walk for half of your lunch break. If you catch public transport, get off one stop further away and walk a bit extra. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Buy some cheap hand-weights (or use water-bottles or tinned foods as weights) and build some muscle while watching television. A couple of old telephone directories taped together will make a perfect aerobics step so you can get some cardio exercise in your own loungeroom. Buy vegetables in season and fill up half your plate with salad or steamed vegetables, with one quarter left for protein and one quarter for carbs. I think it's great that you help your wife out. Can you work exercise into that? Do some lunges while you're vacuuming. Jog on the spot or dance while doing the dusting.

I hope some of these tips help!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby mr happy » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:28 am

WOW thank you so much for going to the trouble to type such a long winded response, I read it thoroughly and have taken it all on board. Some ideas are great and some impracticle.
That idea of constantly reminding myself that the biscuits will be there forever is excellent. Infact im trying it right now. I know there are 2 half full packets of chips in the cupboard, and i am hungry because i just knocked off work, but i am going to remind myself over and over like you suggested that they will still be there tomorrow, and the next day, etc...etc...
I can walk to work from my house in under 30 minutes. Probably the ideal distance, but walking home from work at 4am isnt ideal any day of the week for various reasons.
Thank you once again for all of your help and advice, and also for your book recomendation. When i went through my break up with my first wife i read quite a bit about training the mind to think positive. It actually has a name, and that is brain plasticity. Next time i am at the library, most likely mid week this week i will look up that book for sure.

I am thinking about getting an exercise bike, so that i can make sure i get a little bit of exercise of some kind at least 5 or 6 days a week.
I liked feybies idea of going to the gym after work at 4am, but living in the country i dont have that option. So an exercise bike will be excellent for starting some kind of rutine exercise, instead of "whenever possible" exercise!!
mr happy

Postby mr happy » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:34 am

Further to my above post, because i have been so overweight for so long, and have such a physicaly demanding job, i often have problems with sore knees. This is one of the main reasons i dont like to walk to work, because theres no guarantee that i will feel OK to walk home.
Low impact exercises are ideal, like swimming, kayaking and bike riding.
My maximum weight for my height is 89kg. I havnt been that light since about 1996. I have been over 100kg since about 1998 and over 120kg for about 8 of the last 9 years. Some parts of me are wearing out!!lol....knees..lower back...etc. Hopefully this weight shedding thing will slow the process down a bit.
mr happy

Postby glam1 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:36 am

How about putting the little one in a pram or abike seat and exercising with them your wife may like to join you after the babbies born too!

i have set up a circuit at home too with cardboard and have written things on like squats, tricep dip on chair sprints , skipping, jumpys, ab curls etc and do them for say 1 minute rest then go on to the next exercise. This can then be done 30 - 45 mins in the back yard. If you have a boxing bag that could be incorpated to.

Try calorie king too great way to keep tabs on your calorie intake.
cheers. :D

ps. nice to see your content and care about helping the Mrs :D :D
glam1

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:24 pm

I think the exercise bike is a great idea. Not only will it be kinder to your knees, you won't be waking your family up by jumping up and down to aerobics videos at 4am!
EvilWombatQueen

Return to Weight loss Talk