It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:50 pm

Free Newsletter

Underweight yet still look fat???!!!!

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Underweight yet still look fat???!!!!

Postby Nocedo » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:36 pm

Hello, Im relatively new to the whole weight loss thing. I am male, 17 years of age and have decided to start toning myself up a bit by going on a bike ride every day. However technically im underweight for my height and age averaging around 62 kgs. I may underweight technically but I still carry lots of fat around my stomach and chest so most of the time its quite embarrassing to go to the beach or wear a tight shirt. I was obese for much of my younger life and would just like to know how to get rid of this fat for good. I dont want to lose weight i just want to get rid of all this excess fat. Anything i should be doing?
Nocedo

Re: Underweight yet still look fat???!!!!

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:57 pm

You're idea of toning is right on the money. Bike riding will keep you fit and burn fat, but you might want to work on those specific muscle areas to tone them through resistance and weight work. You can use weights and push-ups to tone your chest area. Abdominal exercises will tone your mid-section. Another option is pilates, which concentrates on strengthening your core muscles and forming long, lean muscles.

Make sure you eat lots of protein. This will help build muscles which will burn more fat.

One thing to remember, though, is that while you can sculpt your body shape to an extent, sometimes there's not much you can do about your body type. You can tone but you can't spot reduce. If you have an apple shape where you tend to store fat around your middle you may have to learn to accept that to a degree.

Another thing to consider: are you sure that the problem you are describing is fat? You say that you were overweight in the past. If you lost that weight quickly it could be loose skin giving the appearance of fat. It takes a while for the skin to shrink to catch up with weight loss. If you're unsure whether it is skin or fat it might be worth talking to a GP about it.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Nocedo » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:07 pm

Im pretty sure its fat, in the past i have spent way too much time indoors playing computer games (which i have since reduced quite a bit :)) and not enough time outdoors. Im pretty sure my problem probably stems from the fact that for a long time I was very unactive even if my metabolism keeps me on the good side of weight. If riding will indeed help me look less like an "indoor nerd" and more like an athletic and fit person then I will be very happy.
Nocedo

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:50 pm

If you like sitting at your computer for long periods of time you might want to consider swapping your chair for a fit-ball. That way you'll be working your core muscles while your sitting. Start off only a few minutes at a time, though, because you need to get your muscles used to it.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Leighbebb » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:04 pm

Hey Nocedo,

What EvilWombatQueen was pretty correct, you need to do at least 2 days a week weights training or body weight training, but also your gonna have to get more strict with your diet, ie

-upping your protein a bit,
-cutting out bad fats (saturated and trans) and
-replacing them with good fats (mono and poly).
Things like replacing pork with fish etc. or making sure you choose lean cuts.
-also be careful of salt, as too high salt intake gives you that bloated look.
-make sure you drink enough water about 2-3 liters minimum
-lastly, veggies and fibre are your friends, remember the 5 Veg 2 fruit a day deal.

give those few things a whirl and see how you go. Good luck!
Last edited by EvilWombatQueen on Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Advertising link in signature removed. Please refer to forum rules in the introduction section.
Leighbebb

Postby Nocedo » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:41 pm

Thanks for all the help. Ill make sure to put that information to good use
Nocedo

Postby Princess_Lissa » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:12 am

Most likely, you just need to tone that bod, Nocedo!

The recommended exercises here will work great. You may also want to consider yoga stretching exercises to keep your flabby-looking areas toned.
"If you can dream it, you can do it!" -W. Disney
Princess_Lissa

Return to Weight loss Talk