It is currently Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:29 pm

Free Newsletter

Anybody encountered this problem??

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Anybody encountered this problem??

Postby mr happy » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:16 pm

My good old mechanical bathroom scales seem to fluctuate quite a bit. Sometimes i can stand on them, get off, then back on and they tell me something different!! usually only 1-1.5kg, but it was giving me the shits, so i decided to buy a set of digital scales. My old ones are about 5 years old.
I read the box, and from what i can gather, the mechanical measure the weight with a spring, and the digital scales are measured with strain technology.
PROBLEM.....As soon as i got home 15 minutes ago, i tested them out, and the digital scales are saying 127.8kg, and the mechanical scales are saying 126kg on the dot. Thats almost 2kg different. So for my weigh in later this week i will be going up on my chart, but down in real life!! This is quite disheartening!!lol
Is there any way of calibrating these digital scales to be the same as my old mechanical scales, or do i have to just except what they tell me?
My fathers digital scales are much closer to my mechanical scales than my new digital scales!
mr happy

Re: Anybody encountered this problem??

Postby Shalimar » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:25 pm

There usually is a bit of a discrepancy between different sets of scales. Just choose which ones you are going to stick with and go with them.
It may look as if you havent lost for this week but inside you know differently.

I had this problem about a year back when the scales I had broke and I had to replace them. There was a slight difference but I just had to wear it for the week.

SW: 175.0 kgs.
CW: 62 kgs-Hit goal 12 September 2009.

Postby mr happy » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:10 pm

Oh yeah cool!!! Thanks for that. What your saying is true, its just a sinking feeling when i stand on the scales!!
Oh well, i will just have to do more exercises and drop 2extra KG quickly to catch up to the other scales!!lol
mr happy

Postby wannabeslim » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:57 pm

remember it really doesnt matter what it says on the scales, cause if your clothes are looser and your feeling more confident you know youve lost some. if scales werent invented how would you measure how much you lost? probably by your pants!
be happy!
2010 goal: get to 56-8kg and keep fit & healthy!

Postby lilly » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:19 pm

hey everyone,i am going to weigh myself monthly, on the 1st. I think it will help[ to keep motivated for the next month if i have seen a decent number the month before, rather than weighing weekly. has anyone done this and found it good? cheers :D
SW 92kgs
CW 92kgs
GW 76kgs

Postby Princess_Lissa » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:00 pm

I went from monthly during the first 3 months, and on to weekly.

It kept me sane. :D
"If you can dream it, you can do it!" -W. Disney

Postby Freddy » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:36 pm

You shouldn't worry about this too much. Our scales were broken so we got a new one, I ended up weighing about 1.5kg's more as well. Each scale you take can, and will give you a different weight as there's a slight difference in each of them.

Return to Weight loss Talk