It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:10 am

Free Newsletter

why would this be happening

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

why would this be happening

Postby coogeegirl » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:05 pm

Hi all

just a quick question when i started my diet 4 weeks ago i was 81.6kg, as of thursday i managed to get down to 77.2kg but when i hoped on the scales on friday i was 78.3kg,and haven't budged since. how is it possible to put on so much in a day and then not loose at all for 3 days, i usually manage to loose 200gm per day, also i was just wondering if my diet could be affecting it i'm wondering if i'm eating too little and mabey my body is storing fat instead of loosing it. eg:

morning:
4 spoonfuls of low fat yogurt
1 apple or bananna

snack: 5 rice crackers with salsa

lunch: home made chicken and vege soup

Snack: apple

Dinner: chicken/beef/tuna with salad or stirfry.

usually no dessert or sometimes a skinny cow ice cream

as you can see i don't have carbs at all as i find that when i eat them i put on alot even if it is only 3 spoons of rice or a piece of wholemeal bread. I dieted like this before and never had any trouble so i can't understand why it isn't coming off.
any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wAjj2uF/]
[/url]
coogeegirl

Re: why would this be happening

Postby onthedecrease » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:53 pm

there are carbs in everything your eating! carbs arent just found in bread and rice. I would suggest you check out http://www.calorieking.com.au to find out the level of cals/carbs/fat ect you should be consuming. IMO I wouldnt be weighing in every day as the body can fluctuate anywhere from a couple of hundred grams to 2kg over the course of the week, pick one day and stick to it.

As a whole your diet looks fine except for your breakfast I dont think its sufficient IMO, I also think you need to add protein into your snacks protein not only helps prevent muscle loss but it can speed up the metabolism and it fills you up more, so perhaps with your crackers have abit of cheese or add a hard boiled egg. Hope this helps.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvgjwLj/]
[/url]
onthedecrease

Postby coogeegirl » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:21 pm

thankyou, i had never thought of cheese or eggs actually, i'll give it a go, it's just hard when you do so well and to then suddenly stop :) thanks again
coogeegirl

Postby falchion » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:27 pm

As onthedecrease said, your water weight can fluctuate a lot during the day and this can account for your weight variation. If you want to get results that are consistent, weight at the same time everyday naked (usually after first toilet trip after waking). Better still, don't weigh daily and look at your macro changes, even though you want to see daily progress.

Undereating is a problem too as you mentioned, and the body will conserve weight if that is what you are doing. The diet seems reasonable if you are sedentary but not if you are going to the gym or have a moderate level of activity (not to mention the protein issues with muscle that onthedecrease already touched on).

Good luck
Slow and steady wins the race.
falchion

Postby coogeegirl » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:20 pm

i excercise everyday usually 30-45 minutes on the treadmill, that's fast walking and jogging too.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wAjj2uF/]
[/url]
coogeegirl

Postby falchion » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:25 pm

There is the possibility that you have restricted your kJ too much and the body has readjusted after an inital period of weight loss to conserve weight. Being hungry and or fatigued are good indicators of this.

Had you been doing something to your diet previously that meant that your water retention was low, ie low sodium foods or low processed foods? Some of your initial weight loss may have been water related and you have merely put water weight back on rather than fatty tissue.

I suppose the good news is that it can only be a limited number of things and it is easy for me to sit here and say ignore the weight number and concentrate more on your body composition, but im saying it :)
Slow and steady wins the race.
falchion

Postby smitten kitten » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:20 am

I too think your protein intake is too low, maybe have a protein shake for breakfast. Get a Whey Isolate (i use Redbak) to help the uptake of protein.

Also your body is prob used to your exercise, so mix it up. Do some different cardio, or weight bearing (which really adds to your muscles, thus increasing your metabolism), or if running do interval training (I min sprint, 1 min fast walk etc).
smitten kitten

Postby court » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:24 am

check out [url]calorieking.com.au[/url] your portions are a bit out (you are starving your body!) and as others have indicated- not enough protein.Try bulking up your meals with a big serve veg or salad as well.
court

Postby Princess_Lissa » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:11 pm

Checking the calorie count plus a protein-rich breakfast will save you from just losing muscle mass and retain the fat.
"If you can dream it, you can do it!" -W. Disney
Princess_Lissa

Return to Weight loss Talk