It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:54 am

Free Newsletter

Will walking really tone me up!!!

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Will walking really tone me up!!!

Postby sunshine » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:30 pm

I wanted to know just how good for toning and getting rid of body fat, walking is? I mean walking everyday which I am trying to do along with a couple of other things? Does it really tone the body?

Also I have no issues with my legs or hips but my body fat accumulates around my belly and waist. How the heck do I get rid of this, besides diet and walking and weights? Any other ideas? It frustrates me so :mrgreen:

Just one more thing :mrgreen: for body fat loss, what is better diet or excercise or both combined? What I mean is, what is the most important factor, excercise or diet, what should I be concentrating on the most? I know there was a recent thread about diet being more important. Thanks.
sunshine

Re: Will walking really tone me up!!!

Postby sunshine » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:33 am

Anyone??
sunshine

Postby court » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:56 am

i lost 17kgs just walking. It gets harder though and your body will get used to the one form of exercise. Now I do spin classes, play team sport, ride a bike. It is all about shocking your body! You cant really spot train - your body will lose weight from where it wants to first - then it gets hard to shift the last few kgs! TRUST ME :lol: :lol: Really it is about finding the balance that your body reacts to! Some people find they can JUST concentrate on diet whereas other people punish themselves with exercise! :lol: For example... I used to eat MORE and exercise MORE and the weight came off for a long time but then i hit a PLATEAU... Now i eat LESS and exercise LESS and the weight is coming off again...
Good luck finding your balance :D
court

Postby Mogget » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:16 pm

Popular opinion places diet at around 80% and exercise at 20% for fat loss... however exercise is what will make you look better whatever ammount of fat you carry and the benefits of exercise are so phenomenal that there is really no excuse for not exercising.

Personally for me exercise plays 50% or more part in my weightloss - the knock on effects of confidence, energy, achievement etc really help to keep me on track. When I first began my weightloss journey I was so big that there was not a lot I could do - the first 20kg or so that i lost I was just walking everyday, to and from work (about 35min each way...it should be noted I now do the same trip in 25 min!!)

Now I do weight training with a personal trainer twice a week, use my elliptica machine at home, walk everywhere and do work out DVD's from time to time because I LOVE having a fit body that can do things!

I'm afraid that you can't choose where the fat will come off, but you can tone your underlying muscles, improve your posture and balance your shape through muscle building. And more muscle burns more calories.
I never thought I would witness the destruction of a Universe whilst carrying a naked merchant banker...

Mogget

Postby sunshine » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:42 pm

Thanks for your replies, I must say that I have been walking alot and feel really fit, I can walk fast up a hill and sweat and feel my legs working but once I am there I recover quickly and keep going. I love that feeling......
sunshine

Return to Weight loss Talk