It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:48 pm

Free Newsletter

Dont you hate it when...

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Dont you hate it when...

Postby fattychops » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:59 am

People find out what your new diet is (be it shakes, buying meals, eating rite and exercise) and then they criticise it??

"oh that will never work" "you will put it all back on" "such and such is the only way"

Unless they have been on a program and reached goal- and i dont mean being on jenny craig for three weeks and not exercising, not drinking water and not reaching transition where you learn about healthy eating on your own food.... anyway, unless they have done all this, why do they think they have the right to say its not going to work?

Its like the shakes.... everyone says the weight will come back on or u will get sick.... well my dad lost 17kg on it and he is fit and healthy, and three years later the weight is still off <---- so how doesnt it work???

I think ppl that say this have been slack and have never bothered to stick to something and follow thru with what they have learnt. (ie im picturing someone eating a pizza with their shake or jenny craig/lite n easy meal!! "oh this just doesnt work" pmsl)

anyway, that was a big rant, no need to reply ladies.
fattychops

Postby Dolly » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:38 am

I agree, there seems to be too many so called experts out there giving their advice.
If we finally find the one plan that makes our brain switch on and get into diet mode then that's the plan we should stick to, be it shakes, mini meals or a 3 meal program.

When I'm merrily on my way starting to lose weight, the last thing I need is someone to mess with my mind telling me to try another program, that is usually when (after a couple of days) I switch to try something new.

It seems I can never go to my mothers without her asking about MY diet, weight loss, her handing me a newspaper clipping or talking about some fat people on a tv program that lost lots of weight (the invasion of openly talking about MY body fat is like talking about my censored life, both are private unless I choose to bring the topic up)

She means well but, I've asked her so many times in the past not to mention my weight when I visit (especially when other visitors are there too :oops:) but she seems to forgets.

Dolly
Dolly

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:57 am

oh i know what you mean! just because i have limited my bread and pasta and potatoes etc, im told that 'oh you can still eat them and lose weight'. i went to a bbq at my mums last weekend and my aunty and uncle were there and i took my own chicken breast along because i didnt want sausages and rissoles etc, and i didnt have a bread roll or potato but i was made out to be the worst in the world! then on a pregnancy forum im a member of this girl says 'oh dont lose the weight too quickly because it will all pile on again'. i know some people probably think they mean well but what they say can be very disheartening and thoughtless. just cos' they want to gorge themselves with bread that has margarine slathered all over it. im trying it think healthy! and be healthy! my aunty lost a bit of weight a year ago from cutting out certain foods and she is so cut that im losing weight. its like she is the only one who is allowed to lose it.

anyway thats my rant
kate_turner2000

Postby Ally » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:59 am

Ladies you do whatever works for YOU. I have heard many different stories about successes and failures on EVERY weight loss plan. I choose to follow the plan I am on as I know it works for me, but it may not work for other people. I know of people who have been on the shakes/meal replacements etc and it hasn't worked for them, but I have heard many successes as well. Don't let people push you around or make you feel guilty because of what you are or are not eating. If it works for you, GO FOR IT! Tell other people to mind their own business!! Lately I have been saying a lot of the time to people, "Ok if you can show me how my choices are directly affecting YOU then I will change, but until then, leave me alone as it is none of your business!" It works!! Try it.

Kate my darling you keep making those healthy choices at BBQ's etc, as you are the one who will benefit from it in the long run! Again how does what you are eating effect the people around you?? It doesn't, so you keep up the great work. I think people are spiteful at times, we would get jumped on if we sat there and said to everyone else around us "oh you shouldn't be eating that because it is full of fats and unneccessary calories", but people find it is ok to be "helpful" to those who are trying to lose weight and get healthy, by passing comments on the food we are eating.

That is the greatest thing that I find about this forum, we are all on different plans etc, but we can still all get on here and share our ups and downs, good times and bad. That is what this is all about, supporting each other to lose the weight.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby KimE » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:13 pm

Yeah it is difficult and as if this business isn't hard enough already.

If people are trying to 'help' you by telling you what your eating isn't the right way or worse getting upset because you are sticking to your plan you should give yourself a big pat on the back as you are most likely doing what it takes for you on your journey. It's nobody else's business what you put in your body but yours as the only person it will ultimately affect is you. So why is everyone so damn interested? When I first began I didn't tell anyone I was on a program as I didn't want the inevitable "so how's your diet going" asked every other hour! As I became more comfortable and especially when results occurred I didn't mind so much and the whole thing sure is an interesting sociological experiment on how others react. Mostly supportive, some want to 'help', a few a bit miffed for some odd reason. The journey in itself is certainly an interesting one.
Last edited by KimE on Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Leishkin » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:26 pm

Ugh, I KNOW, it's horrible when people think they know better than you about diets and things...

I'm 21, and I reckon I've tried about 10 different diets in my lifetime, none of which have worked, I know that my main problem is a lack of exercise, but I do a brisk walk to the station (about 10 minutes) every morning and night, I usually eat reasonably healthily - some people just have to work a LOT harder to lose those kilos!

I hate when people who have never been overweight say things like 'all you have to do is exercise, it doesn't matter what you eat' bulls**t it doesn't!!! That may work for you with your high-speed metabolism, but mine doesn't work that way.. and also - just because you're thin, doesn't mean you're healthy!!

sorry. rant. I know. but yeah, it just really bugs me when people think they know better than you what's good for your body.
Leishkin

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:23 pm

Hi ally

yeah i know what you mean. what i eat doesnt affect them, my mum was fine that i brought my own bottle of water and chicken breast to the bbq. but the funny thing is before i decided to change my lifestyle they always commented on how much i like coca cola, and food etc. and would pay me out for it, then when i show some initiative and take some control of my life i get critisised for that too! you cant win honestly. and im one of those people that gets down when people critisise me. i cant just ignore them! but at the bbq i kept my chin up and basically said to my aunty and uncle 'i dont have to justify to you why im not eating this or this or this'. its none of their business.
kate_turner2000

Postby fattychops » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:45 pm

People are like that arent they!

My mum was on at me because i got Gestational Diabetes when pregnant, she always said to me "you have to loose weight after the baby is born".

Well, 5 months down the track, im loosing weight, feeling great and crossing my fingers that i dont get it again next pregnancy and all she can say is stuff like:

"oh one meal wont hurt" "come out for dinner" have this and have that.. apparently NOTHING will hurt.

Well I know that everything does hurt when im on a diet. If i have one little thing, i loose it and go crazy.
fattychops

Postby SarahC » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:39 pm

hmmmm... why can't people just respect other people's choices :?

I always have people nitpicking at me because I'm vegetarian (well, basically vegan). Everyone always wants to know why, and I continually have to justify myself to them. I try to turn the tables on them and ask them why they eat so much meat! Makes me really mad :x

Then there's others who try to tell me what I should eat, be it eggs, fish, whatever... they are absolutely positive that I must be lacking something! Perfect blood tests every time, what more proof do you need? They just don't understand that you can have a balanced diet without eating meat...

Everyone is an expert :roll:
SarahC

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:44 pm

I think people just don;t realise that different things work for different people. For me, cycling and cutting out the majority of fats and sugars has pretty much done it, for others it's been purely carbohydrate reducation for others huge exercise but no alteration to diet.....not every plan is for every person.

My advice would basically be find something that suits you and that you can maintain over a long period (I.e don't stop eating all togehter or only eat a diet of pumpkins or whatever when you hate them), surround yourself with supports and go like a bat outa hell.

What irks me is when you are losing weight and people know it and then they say "oh you should try such and such a diet, I've heard yada yada, blah blah..". I can never quite understand this since if I am losing weight, what makes you think I should change what i am doing? :?
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Ally » Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:47 pm

EXACTLY TEGAN!!!
[/url]
Ally

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:05 am

just wanted to bring something up...

why is it that when people find out how much weight you have lost theyre the first ones to say...

"YOU'LL PUT IT ALL BACK ON PLUS EXTRA WHEN YOU REACH YOUR GOAL"

it really is frustrating because you try your best to instill these healthy habits for life but it gets you down because you think well why should i bother losing weight if im just going to put it back on?

it just gets you down thats all. thats my two cents worth lol
kate_turner2000

Postby workinprogress » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:22 am

It's just because people like to be cynical and criticise, I guess it makes them feel superior or something.

Maybe they've tried to lose weight themselves and failed and now are just wanting to bring you down to make you think that you can't do it. I just ignore it, I honestly couldn't careless what people say as I know that people are just nasty. When you're overweight they love to tell you how overweight you are and when you're losing it they're just as negative.

When I told my mother that I plan to go to 55kg so immediately told me that I would be anorexic and that was way too thin...well according to the height and weight chart, the weight for someone who 163cm sits between 53kg-66kg so I'm perfectly within my healthy range...but try and convince her of that :?

People are always going to be negative, I guess it's just easier for them to be but you just have to learn to smile and nod when they say something negative and on the inside tell yourself that you're going to prove them wrong and have the last laugh :D

'When you stop hurting your body, your body will stop hurting you.'

Kristina
workinprogress

Postby Ally » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:23 am

People can be so annoying Kate and half the time I think it is out of jealousy that people say these things and the other half is that they have nothing better to say.

It is true that a lot of people will gain back the weight, but if you know how to do a maintainence program you will not gain back the weight. It basically works by when you get to a weight you feel comfortable with you starting adding a certain number of calories to your eating plan each week. When you have a small gain on a particular week, you go back to the week before that gain and that is the amount of extra calories you need to consume to maintain your weight. It can be a lengthy progress, but it works. Some people only get to one week, others get to the full 6 weeks, it just depends on the individual. It may take a while BUT IT WILL WORK.
They say that he who laughs last laughs longest..well me mate, you are going to have the last laugh on them!!

Keep up the great work Kate and don't let the critics get you down!!
[/url]
Ally

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:31 am

hey thanks guys

ive worked so hard to get where i am and where i am going, i just hope i can stick to the maintenance plan when it gets to the stage because i want to show them that i can keep it off and that THEYRE WRONG!!!
kate_turner2000

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk